The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
You're never too old for anything :smile:
Reply 21
Original post by Zozzles
Hi everyone,
i came onto this site for a bit of advice and to see what help i can get.
Im 35 yrs old (36 very soon :redface:) but feel like i am still in my 20s.....:smile::smile: and have been a sports massage therapist for 6 years now.
I have travelled the world with my job and did love it, but i know in my heart i have to do something else. I have been interested in studying Osteopathy for a couple of years but always put it off because of finances and fear too i guess.

Most of my friends my age are settled with 2 kids and dont travel, and they feel studying for another 4 years or so is me taking a step back....and i honestly think they think i am crazy!!!

I am scared to do it in a way because of money and having to move down to London or Brighton for the Degree and will be another 4 or 5 years of my life in one place., and financial difficulty :frown:....and i dont have a family yet.

I just want to know if anyone who is at University has had people of my age in their classes and how they got on, and if 36 is too old to study a degree again?

Some feedback would be great to help me put my fears at ease.

Go for for it I say!! But be carefull since it will cost you msot likely 9k in tuition fees alone now. You should have started when you wanted to do it, could have saved you a lot of money.
Original post by Zozzles
Hi everyone,
Im 35 yrs old (36 very soon :redface:) but feel like i am still in my 20s.....:smile::smile: and have been a sports massage therapist for 6 years now.
I have travelled the world with my job and did love it, but i know in my heart i have to do something else. I have been interested in studying Osteopathy for a couple of years but always put it off because of finances and fear too i guess.

Most of my friends my age are settled with 2 kids and dont travel, and they feel studying for another 4 years or so is me taking a step back....and i honestly think they think i am crazy!!!

I am scared to do it in a way because of money and having to move down to London or Brighton for the Degree and will be another 4 or 5 years of my life in one place., and financial difficulty :frown:....and i dont have a family yet.

I just want to know if anyone who is at University has had people of my age in their classes and how they got on, and if 36 is too old to study a degree again?

My mum went to uni to get a pgce thing when she was about 47.
Reply 23
You are not to old to study at all! Having people of different ages in a learning environment can only be positive!

However, there are a couple of things you should consider:

1) You're probably a bit too old for the stereotypical student life (drinking, living on takeaway etc) so socially it could feel strange (i.e like you are too old to hang out with your classmates but possibly too broke to hang out with your peers who are all working full time).

2) As you get older the opportunity cost of education rises dramatically. Not only do you have to factor in the tuition but you also have to look at how much you will lose by not working for 3 or 4 years. If you are making 30K a year then going back to school will actually cost you an additional 90K - 120K in lost income.

Just a couple things to think about.
Reply 24
I'm 38 and going back to study in October. I want to study and do well. Drinking like a lush and living on takeaways is not a consideration to me. I did all that 20 years ago. I also don't think that the cost is anymore different to an 18 year old than to an 38 year old......and I have a 5 year old in tow. Whatever age you start, you are taking x amount of years out from possible work and earnings. Go for it!!!!
Your never too old.
Reply 26
Original post by Zozzles
Hi everyone,

It might sound and look a bit odd, but it's definitely not old. I would say anything under 40-45 is okay.
Again, repeating what people are saying perhaps, but honestly, if it's really what you want to do, then age shouldn't stop you at all. Best of luck.
Reply 28
My mum's friend is a fresher at the age of 48 (I think), she had a disabled child and was never able to go to University... until now.
Reply 29
Original post by Zozzles
Hi everyone,

Hi Zoe

I am in my 40s and starting a uni course in September, having done an access course this year. I'll be living in halls away from home during the week. I don't think you are too old and definitely think you will regret it in future if you don't at least give it a go.
Out of interest how do you see your life panning out if you don't go to uni? It might be worth working out the answer to that and seeing which answer appeals more to you.

Original post by Zozzles

Why are your friends not supportive? That seems a bit weird.

Original post by Zozzles
....and i dont have a family yet.

Life doesn't stop just because you change your path or location. If you want a family, you could still do that and got to uni (lots of people do).

Original post by Zozzles
I have been interested in studying Osteopathy for a couple of years but always put it off because of finances and fear too i guess.

If you are worried about money, have you thought about studying physiotherapy instead? It is still (at present) an NHS funded course, so you would get your fees paid plus a bursary so you would probably only end up with a comparatively small debt of around £10k if you took up a student loan. Also, if you took that route you probably wouldn't have to leave Scotland anyway so neither fees nor location would be an issue.

Sorry for the slightly disjointed message, I hope it helps though.

Good luck,
Kate
Reply 30
Just back from lunch with three of my fellow students on the Life Writing module. All are in their 60s.
Hiya, I think you should give it a go. If you've been thinking about it for the past few years then it is obviously an ambition of yours and I say go for it. I think if you didn't do it cos of self doubt or cos of what your friends may think you will regret it. It sounds like maybe you are also considering starting a family soonish? If that's true there is no reason for you not to take up the course part-time and raise a family or even start a family now and do your osteopathy in a few years time.

What are you wanting to do after you do your degree? Are you hoping to start up your own clinic?
hiya, im currently a student of osteopathy at british collage of osteopathic medicine and i can tell you that you are not to old. The course is extremely difficult and you are bombared with facts after facts but in my opinion mature/ older students tend to be very focused on this course. I started the course when I was 18, and the ages vary up to 38 in my year, and in the year above the oldest is 45, but to be honest age is NOT a factor and you shouldn't focus on it.
I was 35 when I started my degree last year, and was worried about the age thing - but to be honest it hasn't been a problem at all (apart from the odd bit of friendly banter!). I hang around with 18 - 23 year olds and we don't see a difference at all - think it also helps that I don't look my age! Go for it - it's the best decision I ever made. Good luck! x
Original post by Zozzles
Hi everyone,

Hi Zoe

It sounds to me like you have an itch here and you need to scratch it! As so many people here have said, of course you are not too old to study for a degree and enjoy Uni life.

I'm 42 and I've just been accepted at Brighton to study English Language and Literature. I can't tell you how proud I am, I wasn't encouraged at school or by my family to study and I have always wanted to get back on the horse and fulfil my dream. I'm now about to live my dream by studying the subjects I've always loved. If you really want something, you will move the earth to achieve it, and if you believe in yourself you are almost there already.

I'm not going to tell you it's easy, not by a long shot. Right now I'm in the middle of exams and my final independent term research/presentation (I'm on an Access to Arts & Humanities course) and I've certainly had my triumphs and (mini) disasters :wink:. I will give you some very personal tips: everyone is individual so take them as you wish:

Forget what your friends have to say - they won't be paying your rent or putting food into your belly nor are they "expert" in anything other than opinion. This is your life and you need to live it. Nobody will be giving you back time, least of all them.

Arm yourself with the best information you can FROM THOSE WHO KNOW. College/Uni tutors will be glad to advise you on course content/time you will need to study/materials/funding etc. It's in their interests to equip potential students with the best info. They will not put you forward for a course they don't think you're able to do so trust them and listen to their advice. Never be afraid to ask (you already have this in the bag though, otherwise you wouldn't be here, would you?)

If you have opportunity to visit college/uni open days do so. It's the best way to get a feel for whether it suits you and you can speak to students/tutors to ask questions and find out what you want to know.

You may not have considered this, but as a mature student you bring very strong qualities with you, For example, like you, I spent some time travelling and teaching English in S.E.Asia - this is seen as valuable experience by F.E. establishments. Think of all the skills and experience this has given you. A bit more than the average 6th former, I'd bet?

Whatever you decide to do, take the opportunities you deserve. You've earned them. It may be that after consideration you decide to wait for a year or embark on a different course of study/experience. Only you can decide and you will do that from a position of strength if you make it your project to arm yourself with as much information as possible. Support is always here for all of us, use it and when you feel brave enough to jump into the water you can do so knowing you won't sink.

Wishing you all the best luck in your future. Don't forget to tell us how you get on!
x:wink:
Reply 35
I'm 40 and just completed an access course, and as a result, have been lucky enough to be accepted to study Archaeology at UCL.

You're never too old. Honest. I feel 70 in the mornings, 40 by mid day and 18 in the evenings!

I've decided as a full time student I can put some of my earings back in. Sod it :smile:
I went to uni at 30, and I am about to start my MA at 34. You're never too old. As for financial woes. There is alot of help out there once you are in the system. Where there is a will, there is a way.
Reply 37
Original post by LewisH
I'm 40 and just completed an access course, and as a result, have been lucky enough to be accepted to study Archaeology at UCL.

You're never too old. Honest. I feel 70 in the mornings, 40 by mid day and 18 in the evenings!

I've decided as a full time student I can put some of my earings back in. Sod it :smile:

I like it!
Reply 38
Original post by Zozzles
Hi everyone,

I say, go for it. You still feel like you're young inside right? My dad did his doctoral studies in his 50s, proving that no one is too old to study.
Good luck!!!
defiantly not - no one is ever too old to do anything!! go 4 it :smile:)) plus 35 is not old - an you shouldn't let anyone tell you otherwise!

Latest

Trending

Trending