The Student Room Group
also can someone give info on learning languages at Cambridge?
Reply 2
tarrygon83
Can anyone tell me more about learning a new language at one of the language centres in Oxford? Is it free to all students? Would your choice be limited to which college you belong to?

I think they do offer free language courses - I remember some information about it was given to me in freshers week. As far as I can remember, they offer free langauge lessons, but if you want to do a certified course (ie they give you a bit of paper at the end of it), you have to sign up for one of the none-free ones.
Reply 3
tarrygon83
Can anyone tell me more about learning a new language at one of the language centres in Oxford? Is it free to all students? Would your choice be limited to which college you belong to?

It's a uni wide thing, your college doesn't matter. The courses are very good and usually geared to the sort of skills you might need eg reading source material, articles etc in another language rather than "where is the tourist information office/beach/bar/railway station" type stuff. There are some courses aimed at specific subjects eg history. Some colleges/tutors are keen that you have a genuine working ability in a language for arts/humanities subjects but no formal policy that I know of.
Reply 4
ah, wow, this is great news... do they mind if you aren't a beginner? i was dredding losing what little french i have, but i would definately take it up as an extra-curricular at oxford. fit!

does anyone know if they do latin? i really want to be able to read latin, but on my course there would be no oppurtunity to do so (hehe, i'm pretty crazy about latin, but have never had the oppurtunity to study it... i did get one of my interviewers to admit the lack of latin on my course is a real failing though!)
Schmelen
ah, wow, this is great news... do they mind if you aren't a beginner? i was dredding losing what little french i have, but i would definately take it up as an extra-curricular at oxford. fit!

does anyone know if they do latin? i really want to be able to read latin, but on my course there would be no oppurtunity to do so (hehe, i'm pretty crazy about latin, but have never had the oppurtunity to study it... i did get one of my interviewers to admit the lack of latin on my course is a real failing though!)

I really want to learn latin too. My school never offered it though so I would like to start learning at uni.

MB
Reply 6
musicboy
I really want to learn latin too. My school never offered it though so I would like to start learning at uni.

MB

amo, amas, amat...

amamus, amatis, amant...
Reply 7
sum
es
est

sumus
estis
sunt

voila
ero
eris
erit
erimus
eritis
erunt

sad after 4 years that about sums up what i remember
Reply 9
musicboy

MB

There's the Language Centre at Cambridge where you can learn just about anything: http://www.langcen.cam.ac.uk/

Latest

Trending

Trending