The Student Room Group

will I still be able to get an A in maths?

i took my edexcel modular unit 3 yesterday and it was a disaster.. i counted and i think I got about half marks. So far I've got an A* in Unit 1, An A in Unit 2 and am on 170 ums so far.. do you think I'll still be able to get an A considering the horror that was yesterday?
I still have the calc paper to go so fingers crossed!
Reply 1
It depends on the boundaries. I haven't sit the GCSE Exam, but from what I've seen most people confirmed it was hard.

Good luck on getting an A. ;/
Reply 2
cheers, its really got to me because I set my sights on getting a bloody A! hopefully the boundaries will be low :\
I'm kind of in the same position as you, almost.

I am currently on 174 UMS marks, although I am re-sitting Unit 2 next week so I am hoping to get some marks from there.

It all depends on how you do in the next exam. If you did the same on friday, so dropped half of the marks, you would get 60/120. Because Unit 3 is out of 200 UMS points, we can then find out your UMS mark for unit 3 by doing 200/120, which equals 1.666666667. Multiply that figure by 60 and you get 100. If you add that to your UMS points for Unit 1 and 2, in equates to 270, which is a B or a C.

I'm not totally sure about these calculations (I got them from my teacher).

But that is only if you do worse on Friday. I don't think you will. I think Friday's will be easier for most students as we are more prepared for what's ahead. I still think you have a good chance of getting an A.

You need to get about 320 UMS marks for Unit 1, 2 and 3 combined, in order to get an A.

I think you will. Good luck.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4
Ahh thankyou! My maths teacher told me that I need to get a mid B overall in this exam to maintain my A but I'm not entirely sure if thats right :s-smilie: the UMS marks confuse me so much.
well.. whatever happens I can say I took the hardest maths paper there has pretty much ever been... seriously.. looking through all the past papers I haven't seen one to even match yesterdays.

Quick Reply

Latest