The Student Room Group

Did i make the wrong decision??

Basically for my insurance choice for Law i had to choose between..

Ox Brookes,
Essex
Surrey
UWE

And as far as i was aware Brookes is getting better all the time and both Essex and Surrey are not great for law...?

I ended up choosing Brookes because i had read good stuff about it (im sure it has a terrible rep thought..)

But yeah, what would you have all chosen? Even outside them, i didnt want to apply at Hull or Bradford as the areas arent too great.
Reply 1
oxford brookes is getting better i think, however its only your insurance and surely you plan onn getting the grades for the firm choice...? therefore, providing you put the work in, you shouldn't have to worry too much as it will probably be quite unlikely you end up there anyway! :smile:
Reply 2
Yep, of course..

I was just really wondering if it would have made more sense to apply for any of the others mentioned?
Reply 3
Why didn't you apply to QMUL, City or Brunel as insurance? They have better reputations for Law. Out of the ones you've stated, I personally would have gone for Essex as it does better on the league tables. But like someone else here said you should aim to get into your firm choice, don't worry too much about your insurance - its best to work hard and aim high!
Reply 4
edgecrusher01
Basically for my insurance choice for Law i had to choose between..

Ox Brookes,
Essex
Surrey
UWE

And as far as i was aware Brookes is getting better all the time and both Essex and Surrey are not great for law...?

I ended up choosing Brookes because i had read good stuff about it (im sure it has a terrible rep thought..)

But yeah, what would you have all chosen? Even outside them, i didnt want to apply at Hull or Bradford as the areas arent too great.

Ox brooks is improving in terms of reputation and studies, so i think that you have made a good decision. Dont worry too much about your insurance - focus on getting into your firm choice. Im sure you won't have to rely on your insurance choice anyway. Whats your firm choice? Well good luck with your A levels and congrats on getting your offers, dont think about your choices too much now - it tends to stress people out (i was certainly stressed about my choices last year)!
Reply 5
I thought Essex was supposed to be fairly good for law...??? Top of the second tier?
Yeh. Essex is superb.
You made a mistake.
Reply 7
Sarah_Kiya
Why didn't you apply to QMUL, City or Brunel as insurance?

I was thinking of asking the same question. Btw, it also depends on your predicted grades. So I can't say whether you have made a good choice or a bad one. Anyway, where else are you applying to?
Reply 8
Well basically I live in Essex thats why i really didn't want to apply there and also iwent for Ox Brookes as it was more of a definite...er, i applied at Queen Mary, Kent, Leicester, Swansea aswell...my predicted grades were not as good as i wanted them to be.
Reply 9
Yes you did make the wrong choice. I am a studnet at Essex at the moment, and I am very happy to let everyone know it is an absolutely brilliant university. Granted, we do not appear in the top 10 every year for Law but we have an overall excellent reputation both in the UK and in Europe for Law, Essex offers a wide range of Law courses and the lecturers are absolutely amazing. The department at Essex is very strong and dedicated, and I would recommend Essex to anyone looking to obtain a strong law degree.
Reply 10
O well! i didnt really want to study just round the corner.
what did you put as your firm plus what are the requirments for both?
I feel I made a mistake I had offers for Law from Brunel and Essex I put Brunel as my firm and Essex as my insurance. I just felt I wanted to stay in London. Is Brunel as bad as people say it is?
Reply 13
Sorry to say you made a mistake. Essex would have been the best bet.

Unfortunately Oxford Brookes is only OK, and will always be "not oxford proper" for the time being.

Anyway - sorry to say it, but good luck all the same
Lawz is that to me or edgecrusher 01 ? :confused:

To the OP I think you should choose where you will feel more comfortable. I was going to put Essex as my firm and Brunel as my insurance because of rep, however I felt I wanted to stay in a big city, also the sandwhich course helped :wink:.

Rep changes all the time, look at QM some people wouldn't have put it as their firm choice before 2001. Now their law department has been rated 5* people are looking at it as a crediable choice.

Latest

Trending

Trending