The Student Room Group

Teach First OFFICIAL Application / Assessment Centre thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by schpanzy
aghhh I got an email this afternoon inviting me for an AC on July 19th!!! Crazyness - I only applied on Tuesday night, already feel sick/nervous!! Oh my I knew we had to prepare and deliver lesson but now its real...

Do you think a school would let me observe them for a day or something? I have some classroom experience with young children but its always so busy so bit of a blur! Do you think they expect us to interact with them as students or just deliver a straight lesson as I guess interaction is a pretty integral part of a standard lesson??!

Sorry, I feel like i'm getting ahead of myself here!

Definitely try and observe. All experience is good for you to talk about in your interview.
Definitely interact with the pupils on your AC. It's a lesson, not a lecture.
Regarding observations, certainly getting into state schools is very difficult as they get so many people wanting to do it, so I think a lot of them just say a blanket "no" as it produces so much work for them. At least that's the answer I got when I went in to one to enquire. I think independent schools might be a bit easier to get into, yes they're very different from TeachFirst schools but they're better than nothing.

Having said that, as far as I can see there is nothing specifically on the TeachFirst pages which mentions the need for having observation/teaching experience at the application stage- I get the feeling that what they're more interested in is evidence of leadership (if this was in an educational setting/with young people it certainly wouldn't hurt but doesn't seem like a requirement) and a strong desire to work to address educational disadvantage, as well as evidence of their other "competencies". If you are successful at the AC, you do lesson observations on the summer institute- so I could be wrong, but I feel they're more looking for potential than experience at this stage. It all seems set up to be welcoming to people who haven't really considered teaching before- so I wouldn't fret too much if you can't get any observations before an AC.

Someone say though if they think I'm talking rubbish!
Reply 22
I went last year to observe for one day at my old secondary school, which is a Teach First school.

It was helpful to remind myself of the environment one would be working in when they do Teach First. But i was only given advantage as i was a former student.

I think any kind of voluntary/charity work working with vulnerable members of the community will always go down well as it shows that you have that humility/respect/empathy for others. Whether it's as part of a youth club, or working in an advice centre, volunteering for a charity etc etc.
(edited 12 years ago)
Got an assessment centre on 20th July :smile: applied on Wednesday evening so that was pretty quick!
Reply 24
Hi everyone :smile: Applied to do Teach First primary and got my assessment day on 12th July! So excited but absolutely petrified :smile:
can anyone tell me, when they say they are recruiting for the 2012 cohort, do they mean that i would start training in 2012 or that is when i would graduate?

as in, do the 2012ers start their training this year?
Reply 26
Original post by arisingplantlike
can anyone tell me, when they say they are recruiting for the 2012 cohort, do they mean that i would start training in 2012 or that is when i would graduate?

as in, do the 2012ers start their training this year?

Yep 2012 is the year you would begin. I started TF in July '08 so I am from the '08 cohort.
Original post by Becca
Yep 2012 is the year you would begin. I started TF in July '08 so I am from the '08 cohort.

so this means i have a year before i would start then? (provided i got accepted, of course!) thanks for answering. :smile:
Reply 28
Original post by arisingplantlike
so this means i have a year before i would start then? (provided i got accepted, of course!) thanks for answering. :smile:

Yep you wouldn't start til *next* summer now, as all the people starting this year have been selected and will begin Summer Institute in approx a month's time.
Original post by Becca
Yep you wouldn't start til *next* summer now.

thank you so much for your help. :smile:
I've just applied for English. So nervous/excited!!!
Reply 31
Hey guys, I've started the application for secondary English but I'm not sending it off yet because I wanted to get my second year results. I was just wondering if everyone that has applied all have a 2:1? The problem I have is that my grades are good enough up until college, but then when I got to uni I totally let loose and didn't prioritise my work so have been on the borderline for a 2:1. I'd like to think I was capable if I put in 100% effort (my intention for final year) but was wondering if they'd even give me the chance to go to the assessment centre. Are they very strict? Thanks :smile:
hey,

TF are fairly strict unless you have special circumstances but seeing as you may still get a 2:1, they wont reject you on the spot as long as they are impressed with your online app. There is an option to say whether your degree result is expected or obtained so you could tick the expected box then if you don't get a 2:1 speak to them about it.
I have my assessment day on the 20th July and was wondering if anyone has any tips for the group exercise? I get nervous easily so I think this will be the most difficult part for me and I have not been to an assessment centre before as this is the only grad scheme i really want
Reply 34
Original post by leannewoodward
I have my assessment day on the 20th July and was wondering if anyone has any tips for the group exercise? I get nervous easily so I think this will be the most difficult part for me and I have not been to an assessment centre before as this is the only grad scheme i really want

Try and relax and be yourself. You could nominate yourself to do a specific role in the group, but make sure you don't talk too much and listen carefully to what others are saying. Answer the evaluation honestly.
Reply 35
Hello Everyone!

Just got my email inviting me to the A.C , quite nervous but so ready for the challenge!
Mine is in London on the 25th July.
I've applied to do French/Languages at Secondary.
Any tips/advice would be very welcome!

Kayleigh
Reply 36
Original post by kjmeyrick
Hello Everyone!

Just got my email inviting me to the A.C , quite nervous but so ready for the challenge!

Kayleigh

Yay, languages! :biggrin:
Reply 37
Original post by Becca
Yay, languages! :biggrin:

haha? Do you do languages too?
I don't know how many places are offered by the program for language teachers, do you have any idea? I want this so bad now, just need to get through the A.C!!
Reply 38
haha? Do you do languages too?
I don't know how many places are offered by the program for language teachers, do you have any idea? I want this so bad now, just need to get through the A.C!!

I completed TF in July 2010, but I am still a lanuages teacher, albeit in a different country now! Which languages will you be teaching?
Sorry, I don't have any idea about quotas etc :frown:
Hello Everyone!

Kayleigh

Me too on the 25th starting at 10AM! But to teach English in secondary.

I'm surprisingly nervous!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending