The Student Room Group

Teach First OFFICIAL Application / Assessment Centre thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 640
Original post by laura.a.c265
Don't be too worried Laura...I thought I had really stuffed up my lesson but I got an offer on Fri (AC was Monday). When was your AC?

Becca...Yes TF basically said the same thing - my circumstances are on file and I don't want London which should help, so hopefully I'll know my region by November. We do need to apply for Secondary schools by Oct, but hopefully they will understand why we've had to apply late.

Although we won't know where within the region we will be till April/May so I'll have to go for somewhere central and commute!!

It was Thursday so i'm not expecting to hear for another few days, I must have checked my emails a thousand times on Friday though! It's the lesson I think I messed up with too, so you have made me feel a bit better! I just keep going through the process of 'i should have done that... or said this...' Shows my self evaluation skills at least I guess, haha. Congratulations on your place by the way! I hope you get the location you want, they seem very considerate of what applicants/participants need so i'm sure you'll be fine. In a way it's great timing as your daughter would be changing schools anyway. :smile:
Original post by aaronrm
Hey Laura! I think I was in your case study group on Monday! :biggrin:

I failed my Science SKA in May because I was told my answers weren't clear enough and I wouldn't have enough time to complete my proposed action plan in the month before the Summer Institute (which is fair enough, I was doing my finals and a month isn't very long to get up to scratch again in all three sciences plus some astronomy and geology). They offered me Primary instead for 2013 but I really want to teach at secondary level so I reapplied first chance I got and I've now got an offer to teach English in 2013 with the option of retaking the Science SKA later in the year!

So what I'd recommend to anyone else applying or considering applying is that you should a) be prepared to be offered a subject that isn't necessarily your first choice and b) apply earlier in the cycle to give yourself enough time for them to process your SKA and allow you to make changes. It's possible (though rare, makes me proud :tongue:) to fail at this stage no matter how well you do at the assessment centre.

Oh wow! That's terrifying!! So just as I think I have it in the bag.....

Why have they offered you English then? Didn't you say your degree was Science?
Reply 642
Original post by laura.a.c265
Oh wow! That's terrifying!! So just as I think I have it in the bag.....

Why have they offered you English then? Didn't you say your degree was Science?

Don't worry you'll be fine! They seem to be nice enough about letting you make changes later to your SKA as long as there's plenty of time left in the application cycle.

Yeah I have a Biomedical Science degree but they offered me English because I have A-level English Lit, which makes me eligible to teach it. I was always torn between doing a science degree or English at uni, so I figure if I didn't retake the Science SKA this could be a nice compromise. :tongue: I'm sure it would be just as much fun to teach.
Hi everyone!

I've applied for English (Secondary) and had my a/c on 28th. They phoned me up the next day and made me an offer - really excited as I've had my eye on TF since I discovered my own teachers were TF participants. I'm a bit worried about the SKA now, I achieved an A* in my English Lit A-Level but my degree is in Management w/ Marketing so I do feel conscious of the fact I'm not as qualified as an English graduate and my knowledge will be lacking :frown: Does anyone have any tips for the SKA?

Other than that I'd be happy to share some a/c tips with anyone: the idea I got from speaking to previous participants is that TF are big on self-evaluation, all the competencies are important, but the ability to honestly evaluate your own performance is key! This for me was crucial, my group task wasn't particularly good - I didn't speak that often and when I did it wasn't necessarily the clearest contribution; I felt a bit overshadowed by more vocal members. I then went on to mention this in my evaluation which proved useful!!!!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 644
Do they phone or email to tell you the outcome of the AC? x
Reply 645
Original post by *NS*
Do they phone or email to tell you the outcome of the AC? x

They definitely phone if you pass the AC. Not sure about if you aren't selected.
Just got an offer to teach secondary English! :smile:

I'm also worried about the SKA, though - I second Vertichalle's request for tips! How hard is it?
x
Reply 647
I remember I thought the SKA was going to be some sort of test with right or wrong answers, but it's not.

It basically asks you to evaluate your subject knowledge in relation to the curriculum and find your strengths and weaknesses. Then you have to describe how you plan to improve your weaknesses and give a time scale for that plan.

You basically have to do a fair bit of reading up on the national curriculum in your subject area and find solutions for plugging gaps in your knowledge - could be through observations, reading, looking for resources on TES.co.uk etc etc.

Again, I am happy to look over SKAs/answer questions if people want to PM them to me.
Original post by Becca
I remember I thought the SKA was going to be some sort of test with right or wrong answers, but it's not.

It basically asks you to evaluate your subject knowledge in relation to the curriculum and find your strengths and weaknesses. Then you have to describe how you plan to improve your weaknesses and give a time scale for that plan.

You basically have to do a fair bit of reading up on the national curriculum in your subject area and find solutions for plugging gaps in your knowledge - could be through observations, reading, looking for resources on TES.co.uk etc etc.

Again, I am happy to look over SKAs/answer questions if people want to PM them to me.

This sounds a lot less scary than I thought it was! Thank you :yy:
Has anyone who got an offer last week received their SKA yet?
Reply 650
Hi all,
just got an offer to go to the AC.
What should I expect? I read the website but some things are vague. How do they assess their 8 values? Do they ask you questions and then you have to show you embody these values with your answers?
How many people are there? Is any of the activities done with other applicants? Or is it always you with them?

Is the AC the place where the real selection is made? Or was the online application the real selection?

I would welcome tips please!!

Thanks all!
Reply 651
Original post by eoika1782
Hi all,
just got an offer to go to the AC.
What should I expect? I read the website but some things are vague. How do they assess their 8 values? Do they ask you questions and then you have to show you embody these values with your answers?
How many people are there? Is any of the activities done with other applicants? Or is it always you with them?

Is the AC the place where the real selection is made? Or was the online application the real selection?

I would welcome tips please!!

Thanks all!

The AC is the 2nd stage of selection. If you pass the AC then you need to still pass a Subject Knowledge Audit.

There are 3 parts to the AC - the 7 minute lesson (just you and assessors), the interview (1-on-1 with an assessor) and the case study, which is done in a group and normally observed by 2 assessors.
Reply 652
Can you give me an example of a case study?
thanks
Laura
Everyone is given a brief with the situation etc and an 'interest' you have to defend, which stance you're taking to the problem. Ours was about deciding on school buildings/facilities. I hated that task, could have performed much better but I brought this up in the evaluation you do afterwards. Once you've finished the task (it's timed) you're given a little time to reflect on your performance and then have to evaluate your own and the group's performance in a really quick discussion with an assessor who was observing the group.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 654
eoika1782, me too assessment centre invite for 17th! When and where's yours?
just a quick question about dress for the AC - I'm assuming most men wore suits - I was just wondering about us ladies - to suit or not to suit - that is the question??
Reply 656
Original post by expresso addict
just a quick question about dress for the AC - I'm assuming most men wore suits - I was just wondering about us ladies - to suit or not to suit - that is the question??

I wore a trouser suit, but I remember there were people just wearing a smart blouse and trousers or a smart dress with a jacket.
Original post by Becca
I wore a trouser suit, but I remember there were people just wearing a smart blouse and trousers or a smart dress with a jacket.

brilliant thankyou - I was going to go with a skirtand blouse/dress with jacket - not too down with full on power-suit - just wanted to check I wouldn't stick out like a sore thumb!
Reply 658
Hello,

I've just been offered an assessment centre - very nervous as I don't think I have enough time to prepare!

I just wanted to query, in the application form i didn't state a preference for Primary or Secondary, so am I right in thinking that when they send me my lesson topic it will become clear which one I'm going for (if that makes sense)?

Majorly worried about the lesson as it seems that most people trip up on this!

Thanks x
Original post by Holls-90
Hello,

I've just been offered an assessment centre - very nervous as I don't think I have enough time to prepare!

I just wanted to query, in the application form i didn't state a preference for Primary or Secondary, so am I right in thinking that when they send me my lesson topic it will become clear which one I'm going for (if that makes sense)?

Majorly worried about the lesson as it seems that most people trip up on this!

Thanks x

Holls,

Don't worry you have MORE than enough time to prepare! The lesson titles will come through a week before your AC and you will just be sent a long list with a choice of two titles for each subject. You just pick the lesson you feel most comfortable teaching. If you do a primary lesson, but they think you are suited to secondary maths/english or whatever then that's what they will offer you. It says on the e mail they will send that the lesson you choose to teach will have no bearing on the subject you are given if they go on to make you an offer.

As someone who has done 2 AC's (failed the first one due to a rubbish lesson!) my advice would be to make it as interactive as possible.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending