The Student Room Group

Teach First OFFICIAL Application / Assessment Centre thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 860
Original post by coco1546
Hey everyone, 3 days ago I got my offer for English (yay!). How long did it take for them to send you your SKA? I haven't received mine yet.

Thanks!

Mine took about 2 weeks. I rang them after I heard nothing in two weeks and after that it came through pretty much straight away.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 861
Hey guys, just submited my ska and it says 'locked for submission' when the guidence document says it should say 'awaiting review'. Have i done the right thing? x
Reply 862
Original post by katemst
Hey guys, just submited my ska and it says 'locked for submission' when the guidence document says it should say 'awaiting review'. Have i done the right thing? x

I think that's fine, mine still says 'locked as submitted' and I passed a couple of weeks ago, it never said 'awaiting review' :smile:
Original post by Flajamafloffl
I went over the 2500 word limit, but I spoke to someone and they said as long as the site doesn't cut you off your fine, but you wont know until you submit it. Think my whole thing came to around 3000 ish words, good 1800 were the first question. They asked me to explain more about the gaps in my knowledge regarding British history at Key stage 3 and how I would go about fixing that. Found the whole thing rather silly, particularly question 1, I massively bull****ted that entire thing.

I was asked to update mine in the same way. I've been asked to explain more about the gaps in my knowledge of british history and how I would fix it. And I was also told to refer to specific books that I would use to rectify this. What kind of thing did you say you would do and what books did you say you would look at? I agree its really silly.

any advice you've got would be great though.

cheers
Reply 864
Original post by championsleague1
I was asked to update mine in the same way. I've been asked to explain more about the gaps in my knowledge of british history and how I would fix it. And I was also told to refer to specific books that I would use to rectify this. What kind of thing did you say you would do and what books did you say you would look at? I agree its really silly.

cheers

It means look at the syllabus, see specifically which bits you don't know anything about, locate books/websites/journals to brush up on knowledge of that area then actually do it. I don't really think it's that silly, asking people to know exactly what their weaknesses are and how they will improve them :wink:
Original post by F_O
Hey i have an assessment on the 18th September! I was quite worried about the gap between now and the actual assessment so glad to hear someone else is in the same boat! What subject are you hoping to teach?

Oh good, I'm glad I'm not the only one!
I put down a preference for primary but I have a biology degree so may end up in secondary science which I also wouldn't mind :smile:

cheers

I never mentioned books at all. I said, that I would take courses in British history at uni. I've only just finished my second year, and i'm deferring for my year abroad, so I don't start till 2014, so I said i'd take courses next year, and in final year. I basically said I know no British History, which is true as far as domestic history goes anyway. She only wanted it in relation to KS3 anyway, so I went through all the aspects of it, and just explained that I understood basic aspects of each one, but that in order to improve my knowledge i'd have to learn about x and learn about y etc. Overall though, I just said further reading, advice from other students, and taking courses at uni.
Original post by Flajamafloffl
I never mentioned books at all. I said, that I would take courses in British history at uni. I've only just finished my second year, and i'm deferring for my year abroad, so I don't start till 2014, so I said i'd take courses next year, and in final year. I basically said I know no British History, which is true as far as domestic history goes anyway. She only wanted it in relation to KS3 anyway, so I went through all the aspects of it, and just explained that I understood basic aspects of each one, but that in order to improve my knowledge i'd have to learn about x and learn about y etc. Overall though, I just said further reading, advice from other students, and taking courses at uni.

Thanks, thats really helpful. When you added in the parts that you knew about and didn't know about, where did you add them in? did you alter what you had put down in the questions where they ask you what your 5 strongest and weakest areas are, or was it just in the action plan in the 5th question that you added in the updated info that they asked you for?
Sorry for all the questions, it just seems a bit vague that they put the feedback at the top of the page and not specific to any particular answer.
Really appreciate your help.
Cheers
Thanks, thats really helpful. When you added in the parts that you knew about and didn't know about, where did you add them in? did you alter what you had put down in the questions where they ask you what your 5 strongest and weakest areas are, or was it just in the action plan in the 5th question that you added in the updated info that they asked you for?
Sorry for all the questions, it just seems a bit vague that they put the feedback at the top of the page and not specific to any particular answer.
Really appreciate your help.
Cheers

No probs, I just stuck it on top of my action plan. I agree they're vague intially, however the feedback I got was excellent, in terms of what i've been told to go about doing to improve. Got about 9 or 10 suggestions on what I can do to help. Who is marking yours? Mine was a woman called Pamella, and yeah she was great.
Reply 869
Hey guys, I'm new here.

I have my AC on 1st October for primary- does that seem really far away or is that just me?! I'm so nervous... anyone have any tips for the lesson? I don't know if I'll be able to keep a straight face 'teaching' 2 adults acting like children!
Hi,

I've got a Teach First AC next week for Maths, but the part that's worrying me is the SKA as I've not heard any news of what is involved in the Maths version. Could anybody help?

Also, did anybody do a powerpoint in their 7-min lesson? I've been told there won't be a projector, is that a deterrent to anybody wanting to go down this path?

Thanks
Reply 871
Original post by ArpeggiateTHIS
Hi,

I've got a Teach First AC next week for Maths, but the part that's worrying me is the SKA as I've not heard any news of what is involved in the Maths version. Could anybody help?

Also, did anybody do a powerpoint in their 7-min lesson? I've been told there won't be a projector, is that a deterrent to anybody wanting to go down this path?

Thanks

I can't help with the maths SKA question but I can advise you to steer clear of basing your lesson around a PowerPoint. Definitely not a good idea to be relying on technology and then it fails somehow. Stick to old fashioned things!
I once had a formal observation with my mentor where the school had a power cut 5 mins before the lesson, so it's a real risk!!
Reply 872
Hi Everyone! I've got an AC coming up and I feel quite scared as to how I should prepare for the interview section of the day. Does anyone have any tips as to what I could do in the run-up? Would they ask questions on each of the 8 competencies?
Reply 873
I have an Assessment Centre coming up and I'm starting to rethink the preferences I've made regarding regions to work in (personal circumstances have changed). Should I contact Teach First about this now, or after the Assessment Centre should I be lucky enough to be offered a place?
Hi all, I have an offer for secondary english and I'm just doing SKA. I am struggling identifying areas from the range and content section and think I might be either to vague or too specific, any ideas how they want us to break it down?

If anyone could help me identify areas, maybe then I could start to identify my weaknesses! (which are clearly locating information / grouping infomation) haha

thanks guys, so pleased your all doing so well, hope I can join you!

Holly xx
Reply 875
Ok, I have some time tonight and this thread was so useful when I was applying, so I'm going on an answering questions spree!

Esma: The interview really isn't as scary as it seems. It is most definitely competency based, and over the course of the interview it's likely that you'll cover all 8 competencies, so definitely make sure you prepare examples of when you've displayed all 8. However, the interview questions won't always be of the straightforward tell me about a time when you've shown X competency variety; they'll look to ask slightly vaguer questions at some points that are still asking you to demonstrate a competency - don't be thrown, just relax and take a moment before you answer to think about what they might be trying to get at. The assessors are friendly and want you to do well! Also, make sure you read up on TF beyond the basics and really know the mission/organisation and what it's about. Good luck :smile:

Lit2010: I'm not sure I can be much help here I'm afraid, this might be one to ask TF directly - they're usually very quick at responding to emails so it might be worth emailing graduate recruitment or even giving them a call.

freckles89: I've passed my secondary English SKA and found it quite tricky too.. I identified quite specific areas from the curriculum that I felt I struggled with (like contemporary English as a global language and recent young adult literature authors I hadn't read).. I would personally try and be as specific as possible because then it's easier to say how you'll address the gaps in your knowledge. I'll try and go back and look at my SKA tomorrow and see if I can be of any more help :smile:

JoannaMilano: I'm really sorry you got rejected :frown: It definitely sounds from what you've said that you had a great application, and I think there's always an element of luck involved in these things unfortunately. The only thing I would say from my own experience and that of friends who've applied is that TF put a huge emphasis on your answers to the competency questions in your application, and since your academics/experience etc are all really good, that might have been where you slipped up? I don't know, I know how frustrating it is to get rejected from schemes in the first round and I'm sorry!! Hope something even better is around the corner for you :smile:
Reply 876
Original post by JoannaMilano
So I got rejected post-application. Have to say, I'm pretty confused. I have straight A/A* at GCSE, AABB at A-level and predicted a high 2.1 or maybe even a First for my degree. Three and a half years of non school related work experience in the UK and six months abroad, and three separate school related placements (two in what Teach First would call challenging schools and one of which lasted a year). Not really sure what else I could have done really, considering I know people who have got through to the assessment centre with worse academics and never having had a job or any major extra curriculars. Sigh.

I accept their decision and clearly they were just looking for something else. I could understand if I'd been rejected post assessment centre if the interview went badly or I wasn't good at the tasks, but I don't really see what I could have done to make my paper application any stronger. :frown:

Hi, I'm really sorry you were rejected. What I will say is that academics don't play as big a part in TF as people often think. There were at least 3 people in my Midlands cohort who had less than a 2.1.
It could be that you were too vague at relating your experiences to the questions on the application form. I don't know. Like you said, onwards and upwards!! A PGCE is still a great and challenging route into teaching (you can still be placed in TF schools as a PGCE student) and you can choose where you want to live and work :smile:
Hi everyone I have an assessment centre next week, I want to teach English. I'm quite worried about the 7 minute lesson as the titles seem fairly vague - does anyone have any tips on how best to approach teaching the 7 minute lesson?
Reply 878
Original post by florence91
Hi everyone I have an assessment centre next week, I want to teach English. I'm quite worried about the 7 minute lesson as the titles seem fairly vague - does anyone have any tips on how best to approach teaching the 7 minute lesson?

I think they change the lesson titles but mine for English were fairly vague too! My biggest piece of advice would be to make your lesson as interactive as possible, so make sure you're not just standing in front of the assessors talking at them for the 7 minutes - try and incorporate activities for them to do, ask them questions, maybe get them to do a quick worksheet you've made if there's time. Those 7 minutes go incredibly fast so don't try and do too much, it's best to focus on one simple activity and then think about ways to make it engaging. From the people I chatted to at my assessment centre, everyone seemed to be taking quite different approaches to the lesson so don't worry too much about specifics, as long as you're enthusiastic and interactive I think they focus more on your potential rather than the content if that makes sense. Oh, and practice is always a good idea, obviously, but remember there might be interruptions from your assessors as they'll be acting 'in role' as children, so don't go in there with too much of a rehearsed plan because you may well need to be a bit flexible.. try and relax, as hard as it is! Good luck :smile:
Thanks r31, that helps. I was thinking of asking quite a few questions and then getting them to spend about a minute doing a paired activity - hopefully that's OK - I'm not sure what I should be doing while they do the activity though, and if I'd look a bit weird just standing there?
It's encouraging to know there were a few different approaches that people took etc, thanks :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending