The Student Room Group

Teach First OFFICIAL Application / Assessment Centre thread

Scroll to see replies

Hey everyone, I've been reading through and have found some really helpful tips so far but was just wondering if anyone else could offer any further information! I have my teach first assessment day this Friday and I'm fairly confident in regards to the interview and group task but I am feeling ridiculously nervous about delivering the sample lesson! I think its because I've never had to do anything like this before so really don't know what to expect. Could anyone tell me about their own experiences with delivering the sample lesson? How it went etc good or bad! Thanks :smile:
Reply 1621
Original post by Jess194
Hey everyone, I've been reading through and have found some really helpful tips so far but was just wondering if anyone else could offer any further information! I have my teach first assessment day this Friday and I'm fairly confident in regards to the interview and group task but I am feeling ridiculously nervous about delivering the sample lesson! I think its because I've never had to do anything like this before so really don't know what to expect. Could anyone tell me about their own experiences with delivering the sample lesson? How it went etc good or bad! Thanks :smile:

Hi Jess!!! I'm at the assessment centre tomorrow as well. The lesson is the bit I'm freaking out about as well, but from what I've learned from nosing around online as long as you keep it interactive and make sure it has a clear beginning middle and end you should be fine?
Reply 1622
Original post by Jess194

Hi Jess, I had my assessment centre last week. I'm sure you've heard that the assesors misbehave and act like children (depending on your group). From speaking to other applicants, it varies but it generally tends to be one misbeaving.

I'd definitely make sure you've practiced your lesson within the time limit, making sure you leave enough time to manage behaviour. There's a timer (which counts down - this confused a few people for some reason), and name tags for the 'pupils' on the table (again, a lot of people didn't see this). 7 mins is a really short time for any type of lesson so make sure you focus on one thing.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask (but I won't be able to reply till around 9-10pm).

Good luck!

PS - you've posted on the 2012 application! There is a 2016 on here too :smile:.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by dhoch
Hi Jess!!! I'm at the assessment centre tomorrow as well. The lesson is the bit I'm freaking out about as well, but from what I've learned from nosing around online as long as you keep it interactive and make sure it has a clear beginning middle and end you should be fine?

Aw Brilliant! Yeh I'm really freaking out about it but hopefully if its engaging enough we'll be fine :smile:
Original post by znh
Hi Jess, I had my assessment centre last week. I'm sure you've heard that the assesors misbehave and act like children (depending on your group). From speaking to other applicants, it varies but it generally tends to be one misbeaving.

I'd definitely make sure you've practiced your lesson within the time limit, making sure you leave enough time to manage behaviour. There's a timer (which counts down - this confused a few people for some reason), and name tags for the 'pupils' on the table (again, a lot of people didn't see this). 7 mins is a really short time for any type of lesson so make sure you focus on one thing.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask (but I won't be able to reply till around 9-10pm).

Good luck!

PS - you've posted on the 2012 application! There is a 2016 on here too :smile:.

Thank you so much this was really helpful! Also, thanks for mentioning the 2016 thread, i seemed to look over and over for one and still managed to miss it!
Reply 1625
How do people deal with the disruptive behaviour in the sample lesson? Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending