The Student Room Group

Taking A-levels as an independant student...

So I'm currently in year 12 (just finishing my last AS exams) and I honestly hate the sixthform I'm at. I never really liked it at the beginning, but decided it was only two years of my life, so decided to stay on regardless, however as the year progressed it's gradually got worse...

I should get pretty decent (AS) grades and I've already got pretty good GCSEs. Really I'm just looking for advice from someone who did (/are doing) their A-levels as an independant student along the lines of;

Would it effect your chances of getting into universities?

How exactly do you go about arranging testing centres/exams (in particular for ISAs)

And just any general information...

It does'nt affect your chances of getting into universities. Alot of people enter as External/Private Candidates and gain admission to all kinds of prestigious universities/courses.

There are alot of centres in Greater London that allow you to take written papers without any problems.

Practical components however are very difficult to arrange and can often be rather costly...but not impossible
Reply 2
Hiya!

Does any1 knw that is it possible to take private A-level biology without coursework?? Does Edxcel offers biology A-level based on all exams?
is it possible to take whole A level (As/A2) in 1 year?
I'm actually thinking to take biology and chemistry A-level privately.
Hey there

I'm doing independent study. I've just finished my AS exams. It can be done, and you can do well, but it takes a lot of willpower. So bear that in mind. Also, you may find you hit a roadblock if you can't understand something, so be prepared for that. It's not the easiest way to study, but if you hate sixth form it might be the best option for you. I definitely prefer it to sixth form (I tried sixth form for two months and hated it).
Reply 4
Original post by AlesanaWill
Hey there

I'm doing independent study. I've just finished my AS exams. It can be done, and you can do well, but it takes a lot of willpower. So bear that in mind. Also, you may find you hit a roadblock if you can't understand something, so be prepared for that. It's not the easiest way to study, but if you hate sixth form it might be the best option for you. I definitely prefer it to sixth form (I tried sixth form for two months and hated it).

Can I ask where you take your exams? I've been looking for 8 months to find a centre, with no luck!
Original post by Tw1x
Can I ask where you take your exams? I've been looking for 8 months to find a centre, with no luck!

8 months?! I took them at a local secondary school. What exam board are your exams on? I'm on AQA, and on their website there's a list of schools that are licensed to take private candidates. It's essentially a case of firing off tons of emails to all the schools in your county and hoping someone responds. Obviously it will cost money.

The thing I found most difficult was finding a place to do my physics practical. I took route X on the AQA exam board. I had to send about 100 emails to any schools that looked like they might take me, and I got 1 decent reply.
Reply 6
Original post by Maxxx
Hiya!

Does any1 knw that is it possible to take private A-level biology without coursework?? Does Edxcel offers biology A-level based on all exams?
is it possible to take whole A level (As/A2) in 1 year?
I'm actually thinking to take biology and chemistry A-level privately.

AQA (and I think OCR) allow you to take practical exams instead of coursework. I'm doing AQA Human Biology and Chemistry privately and that's the route I'm taking. They're very expensive to do though. For me, it's about £350 a shot.
Reply 7
Original post by AlesanaWill
8 months?! I took them at a local secondary school. What exam board are your exams on? I'm on AQA, and on their website there's a list of schools that are licensed to take private candidates. It's essentially a case of firing off tons of emails to all the schools in your county and hoping someone responds. Obviously it will cost money.

The thing I found most difficult was finding a place to do my physics practical. I took route X on the AQA exam board. I had to send about 100 emails to any schools that looked like they might take me, and I got 1 decent reply.

I've emailed basically every school in my county on the AQA website, no banana. I think it's because of the practicals (bio and chem)
Reply 8
There is a centre in Birmingham that offers science practicals to external candidates. Ring them see if they can help:
0121 771 1298

Quick Reply

Latest