The Student Room Group

Secondary Maths PGCE

Hi All,

I need some advice please.....
I've got a degree in Maths and I applied to the IOE for Mathematics PGCE but got rejected after IOE held my application over 6 weeks and without an interview. My application went to Oxford University and got rejected there too, the other two Uni's I have already filled their spaces and now I don't have a place and I don't know what to do.
I really had my heart set at IOE but more on doing Maths PGCE and now I feel that I can't do anything else but to worry about this situation.
I know I applied late (May 2011), but I only decided in March that I wanted to become a Maths teacher and my former personal tutor took four weeks to do my reference and then IOE had my application for 6 weeks and now I am in a right mess. I even took time off from work just to get some work experience in a classroom and even that I don't think was enough.
I've asked both Uni's to supply me with some feedback but they said it can take up to 3 weeks before they can get back to me.

I need some advice on what to do now. Can I go to Clearing? If so, how and when? Can I change my Personal Statement? Can I apply through Clearing to the IOE?

Thanks for taking time in reading this..... :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by OneLove11
Hi All,

I need some advice please.....
I've got a degree in Maths and I applied to the IOE for Mathematics PGCE but got rejected after IOE held my application over 6 weeks and without an interview. My application went to Oxford University and got rejected there too, the other two Uni's I have already filled their spaces and now I don't have a place and I don't know what to do.
I really had my heart set at IOE but more on doing Maths PGCE and now I feel that I can't do anything else but to worry about this situation.
I know I applied late (May 2011), but I only decided in March that I wanted to become a Maths teacher and my former personal tutor took four weeks to do my reference and then IOE had my application for 6 weeks and now I am in a right mess. I even took time off from work just to get some work experience in a classroom and even that I don't think was enough.
I've asked both Uni's to supply me with some feedback but they said it can take up to 3 weeks before they can get back to me.

I need some advice on what to do now. Can I go to Clearing? If so, how and when? Can I change my Personal Statement? Can I apply through Clearing to the IOE?

Thanks for taking time in reading this..... :smile:

Luckily for you, there is almost no demand in mathematics so you still have loads of providers to choose from. At this stage in the cycle, you are able to add an extra choice and GTTR will send it off to the university in the same way as your four original choices. Clearing is not until 1 July. This will have answered some of your questions, but for the others:

- no you cannot change your personal statement
- no you cannot (re)apply to IOE in the same application cycle
There's still time to send your application off for consideration to different Universities. GTTR will be able to let you know where the places are available.
Reply 3
Have an interview at greenwich ..any inputs how to prepare pls..
Hi all

Has anyone been to a recent secondary maths PGCE interview at IOE and can tell me what the interview consisted of please?

Thanks
Original post by Littlewhiterabbit
Hi all

Has anyone been to a recent secondary maths PGCE interview at IOE and can tell me what the interview consisted of please?

Thanks

Yeah. Group discussion about setting I think. Then we had individual interviews (he told us the qs he'd ask us at the v beginning of the session b4 we got there - pretty standard qs - where wud we see ourselves in 10 yrs, why maths? why teaching etc.). Then we had a booklet of maths qs to do (e.g. explain why pupils answers were wrong) - if I were you I'd brush up on circle theorems and geometry stuff but it isn't v hard (I completely forgot the alternate angle rule and still got in). Then we headed home. No qs on the current issues (but might change so look at them anyway).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending