The Student Room Group

What really annoys you about your driving instructor?

The day of my test

1. When we were sitting in the waiting room on the day of my test she kept on TALKING. Do this. Do that. Dont do this. I just wanted to be quiet but she was really bugging and making me more nervous
2. When I returned from my test she was waiting outside. As soon as the car stopped. She came right over and just stood there I wanted to hear the result alone. I think that was kinda rude. She should have waited until we called her over!
3. After my test on the journey home she just talked and talked and talked !!!! When I just wanted to be alone with my thoughts. Grrrrrrrrrrr!!! :angry:

Im dreading my retest when I have to have a repeat of all that again.

One thing that bugs me generally is she picks me up with a student in the car. That way I spend 15 minutes of my lesson time dropping someone else off

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
With my instructor, its his breath. HE has a whole tub of extra chewing gum in the glove box, has three the whole hour and his breath still stinks. Seriously lol
Original post by popoa08
The day of my test

1. When we were sitting in the waiting room on the day of my test she kept on TALKING. Do this. Do that. Dont do this. I just wanted to be quiet but she was really bugging and making me more nervous
2. When I returned from my test she was waiting outside. As soon as the car stopped. She came right over and just stood there I wanted to hear the result alone. I think that was kinda rude. She should have waited until we called her over!
3. After my test on the journey home she just talked and talked and talked !!!! When I just wanted to be alone with my thoughts. Grrrrrrrrrrr!!! :angry:

Im dreading my retest when I have to have a repeat of all that again.

One thing that bugs me generally is she picks me up with a student in the car. That way I spend 15 minutes of my lesson time dropping someone else off

:// sounds like she just wants to get as little out of the lesson for you tbh.

The only remotely annoying thing about my instructor is probably when I do something wrong, she looks at me like "you know what you did wrong there" but tbh, she's an awesome lady so I don't have reason to complain! I'll be sad when we no longer spend an hour learning to drive ;P
Reply 3
Original post by BritPakistaniMuslimah
:// sounds like she just wants to get as little out of the lesson for you tbh.

The only remotely annoying thing about my instructor is probably when I do something wrong, she looks at me like "you know what you did wrong there" but tbh, she's an awesome lady so I don't have reason to complain! I'll be sad when we no longer spend an hour learning to drive ;P

Ive been taking driving lessons for a year. Now that im not taking em theres a huge driving lesson shaped hole in my life. I miss it.

My instructor is generally quite good though - never shouts. And always laughs at my daft jokes.
Original post by popoa08

Tell them you're not happy with this and that you have paid for an hour of ono-on-one tuition, and if they arrive with another person in the car again you will not go on the lesson and cancel all future ones. It is not professional or fair to link lessons.
Reply 5
Original post by Walter Ego
Tell them you're not happy with this and that you have paid for an hour of ono-on-one tuition, and if they arrive with another person in the car again you will not go on the lesson and cancel all future ones. It is not professional or fair to link lessons.

You are right. But im done now. After throwing money into the driving lesson pit for one year its done. Phew!

But yeah that is totally unprofessional. But I didnt say anything to her coz I felt bad. I just cant say things like that to people. :s-smilie:
for me, although my instructor is really good at technical aspects of driving and explaining stuff, he can be a bit unprofessional at times, such as taking calls during lessons (rarely, but still not good), as well as often using the lesson to do chores such as dropping something off with people, instead of doing the test routes.

i know i should point it out and say the time should be made up but now i'm almost going to do my test i feel i should just grit my teeth and stay calm, given that he's taught me well overall.
Reply 7
Original post by CalmDownMrRooney
for me, although my instructor is really good at technical aspects of driving and explaining stuff, he can be a bit unprofessional at times, such as taking calls during lessons (rarely, but still not good), as well as often using the lesson to do chores such as dropping something off with people, instead of doing the test routes.

i know i should point it out and say the time should be made up but now i'm almost going to do my test i feel i should just grit my teeth and stay calm, given that he's taught me well overall.

I know what you mean. When it comes to cutting our time or taking extra money off us they do it properly. But not the other way round.

How far are you?
Most of the time I like her, but sometimes OH MY GOD.

Like the other day we were driving through the countryside and she was like "There aren't many cows in the fields today"
And I said,
"No, I haven't seen many either"
And she went "Well you shouldn't know! Your eyes should be on the road!"
I mean fo real. What the hell.
And then another time she was like "Oh look, there's a hazard!" and i'm like "What?"
And she was all "How can you not have seen it? You haven't been reading that book, have you?"

But other than the occasional weird, sniping remarks like those she's fine and really encouraging.
Once I was at a roundabout about to pull out to take the second exit, I came out after doing the on-coming vehicles checks etc and as soon as I did my instructor jams his foot onto the brake and puts the handbrake on. We're now causing traffic on the roundabout and behind us, I'm like:

"Wtf man, why you do that?"
"There was a car coming"
"No there ****ing wasn't, I checked"
" ohhhh emm, good it was an observation test"

****!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:facepalm:
Reply 10
My first instructor was a right dick. So I changed him for another and he was awesome :biggrin: It wasnt just a lesson but some time to get out of the house and have a laugh/chat. He wasnt the cheapest but worth it and he gave me free lessons so all was well especially with a pass under my belt :smile: I had no faults with him. But the first one yeah... always changing stuff and taught me a load of *******s
Original post by popoa08
I know what you mean. When it comes to cutting our time or taking extra money off us they do it properly. But not the other way round.

How far are you?

yea, its annoying :biggrin:

ive done like 27 hours with him now & i'm doing my practical test next week :biggrin:
Reply 12
Aww I loved my driving instructor. I'm waiting to see him on the road so I can give him a lil wave :biggrin:

Though he was late for lesson before my test which didn't calm my nerves, but I passed so I wasn't gonna moan :P
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 13
Always misses lessons - books appointments, takes days off ect when I'm meant to be having my lessons, is rude and annoying - tells me every 2 minutes if I do such and such on the day of the test I'll fail, uses lesson time for doing errands and I feel I haven't made very much progress with him either, as it's always the same route ect instead of different test routes.
Anyway, changing to another instructor next week who a friend went to and really liked so fingers crossed :smile:
I liked my driving instructor but he used to stop the lesson so he could have a cigarette break. Firstly, i don't think my driving was that stress inducing, and secondly he used to try and make out that the break was for my benefit (improve my concentration etc). I mean come on!!
If I've said a couple of weeks in advance that I won't be able to have a lesson on a certain date, sometimes nearer that time he says to me "so are you still okay to have a lesson on this date?" (the date I could not make) and then I say no, and the reason... and he says "oh. Well. I wish you'd have told me, I've been keeping it free!" and I'm too awkward to say that actually, I did tell him! :frown:
Reply 16
Mine used to hum Boyzone songs when I was driving. Then Stephen Gatley died and he stopped for a while.
inb4 he/she can't drive.
Her f****** facial hair.
my driving instructor is really annoying when he goes on about stuff i do wrong
and he always goes 'right. now did you knoooow...' reeeeeally slowly
and his car smells like some sort of horses

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending