The Student Room Group

Computer Science at Manchester Uni or Salford?

Hi all, what do you think would be better to employers and in general?

Computing for Business Applications (BSc) at The University of Manchester
OR
Computer Science (BSc) at The University of Salford

I'm really struggling to decide as I know The University of Manchester is probably more sought-after to employers but the course doesn't look as impressive as Computer Science. :confused: Any help would be great!
Reply 1
??
Original post by Sean-1

Original post by Sean-1
??

Forgetting about employers for a moment, which would you prefer to go to in terms of course content and which university do you prefer? I would place more weight on taking up a course that appeals to you in a location that you like. If you are happy on the course then you will do better, and consequently will be more employable.
Reply 3
Original post by F1 fanatic
Forgetting about employers for a moment, which would you prefer to go to in terms of course content and which university do you prefer? I would place more weight on taking up a course that appeals to you in a location that you like. If you are happy on the course then you will do better, and consequently will be more employable.

Was that a generic response? Salford = Manchester and Manchester = Manchester in terms of location.

I think your advice is rather poor, employers are a major concern when picking your university. Just an all round **** reply.

I went to University of Manchester and I see your dilemma, if you went to Manchester maybe you could show you're just as capable as a Computer Science grad by doing some web design coding freelance or getting involved in some other programming somehow.

I'm unsure of the content differences, do you know the modules? Will you be able to have the knowledge that you want out of the Manchester course, if yes then go for it.

I think most Comp Sci students would get the nod over the Computer and Business Applications, if it came down to pure qualification. In computing qualifications are more important than many other areas as its all about knowledge. Decide wisely.
Original post by simstar

Original post by simstar
Was that a generic response? Salford = Manchester and Manchester = Manchester in terms of location.

I think your advice is rather poor, employers are a major concern when picking your university. Just an all round **** reply.

I went to University of Manchester and I see your dilemma, if you went to Manchester maybe you could show you're just as capable as a Computer Science grad by doing some web design coding freelance or getting involved in some other programming somehow.

I'm unsure of the content differences, do you know the modules? Will you be able to have the knowledge that you want out of the Manchester course, if yes then go for it.

I think most Comp Sci students would get the nod over the Computer and Business Applications, if it came down to pure qualification. In computing qualifications are more important than many other areas as its all about knowledge. Decide wisely.

No, it wasn't a generic response. I know where salford is thank you, but that does not detract from the fact that they are in different parts of the city and each have different positives and negatives. Personally I think that employment is always a secondary concern for two degrees that are in a similar field, and therefore wished to hear what the individual applicant felt about the different courses/universities prior to offering an opinion. Besides, one course will not always be preferred over another by an employer, it depends on the field of work that the applicant wishes to go into.
Reply 5
Besides, one course will not always be preferred over another by an employer, it depends on the field of work that the applicant wishes to go into.

Nice try to turn your argument around...I think its fairly obvious what this person wants to get involved in, Computer science related jobs.

I respond with a little disappointment as your sig seems to suggest you provide reliable responses being the uni applications moderator, whatever that is!
Reply 6
No, it wasn't a generic response. I know where salford is thank you, but that does not detract from the fact that they are in different parts of the city and each have different positives and negatives. Personally I think that employment is always a secondary concern for two degrees that are in a similar field, and therefore wished to hear what the individual applicant felt about the different courses/universities prior to offering an opinion. Besides, one course will not always be preferred over another by an employer, it depends on the field of work that the applicant wishes to go into.

Neither of you know where Salford is. It's NEXT to Manchester, not part of Manchester.

To be fair, the staff at the university don't know either. Go for Manchester - a degree from a university claiming to be in two cities at once is worthless and looks very dodgy.

And in case anyone's in any doubt: call the Salford local history museum and ask them if Salford is in Manchester. Just be prepared for an angry response.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending