The Student Room Group
University of Essex
University of Essex
Colchester
Visit website

University of Essex: Ask A Student Thread / Information Thread :)

(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Paddy you are brilliant.

If any one wants help on biomedical science 4 year course with placement, bathwiggle will reply. or the houses.
(edited 12 years ago)
University of Essex
University of Essex
Colchester
Visit website
Reply 2
:h: Thanks.

It will probably be the next cycle before many people have questions but it's good to have this here for them if they do :smile:
Reply 3
You're the best in terms of University informations, ask Essex to pay you for this :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by tray
You're the best in terms of University informations, ask Essex to pay you for this :smile:

Haha thanks, when you get there sort out a petition for them to hire me :awesome:
Reply 5
Ok, quick question, not actually about the university but about Colchester. Just what is a 'squaddie'? Like an army person or something?:colondollar: Whenever I read about the university 'squaddies' seem to get complained about alot :/
Reply 6
Original post by Boo!xx
Ok, quick question, not actually about the university but about Colchester. Just what is a 'squaddie'? Like an army person or something?:colondollar: Whenever I read about the university 'squaddies' seem to get complained about alot :/

Yes, pretty much. There is a garrison in Colchester. :smile:
Reply 7
huh, fair enough :]
Reply 8
This is a pretty useful topic, I have Essex as my insurance but after visiting the university I really really want to go haha! But I'm still working hard to reach my firm though. :smile:

But my raging question is, what is the likelihood of myself getting completely wasted and, for whatever reason, end up slightly annoying a squaddie then being beaten to an inch of my life?
Original post by Xhotas
This is a pretty useful topic, I have Essex as my insurance but after visiting the university I really really want to go haha! But I'm still working hard to reach my firm though. :smile:

But my raging question is, what is the likelihood of myself getting completely wasted and, for whatever reason, end up slightly annoying a squaddie then being beaten to an inch of my life?

They generally stick to the town, so you shouldn't have a problem. There are military police who keep squaddies in line, and bouncers in clubs both on campus and in town. it's not slightly annoying them thats the problem, it's really annoying them.

So not very likely
Reply 10
Original post by Xhotas

Most of them aren't especially big so this depends on how able you are to look after yourself, lol. The issue is they will be in groups but even then the chance is no higher (indeed the chance is smaller) than pissing off any other group of people so you shouldn't be worried. They have added motivation to exercise restraint: their military career.
That is true, if you upset one of them, they normally go out in large groups so back each other up. Although i have met some lovely groups of squaddies and they've protected me/others from other drunks
Reply 12
It's important to remember they are normal people, albeit in a very male - and therefore masculine, characterised by competition - environment. There will be lovely people amongst them, and dickheads much the same as in any other group of people they will just be a little rowdier is all.
Reply 13
I wasn't being deadly serious, but thanks anyway for the advice :wink: Looking forward to maybe heading off there in September :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by Xhotas
I wasn't being deadly serious, but thanks anyway for the advice :wink: Looking forward to maybe heading off there in September :smile:

What's your firm?
Reply 15
Original post by paddy__power
What's your firm?

Leicester for AAB and Essex for ABC (With the AB being in History/Theatre Studies) :smile:

V100 History. :smile: I'm eager for the Essex for a year abroad they offer in Russia, it sounds immense! Plus I love the whole layout of the campus and the Towers look like amazing accomodation haha.

But what's the nightlife like in Colchester? Do most students stay on campus for drinking and such or is it still pretty good there? Seemed a bit, well, suburban from what I saw :P
Reply 16
Original post by Xhotas
Leicester for AAB and Essex for ABC (With the AB being in History/Theatre Studies) :smile:

I would rather go to Leicester really but each to their own: Essex will probably let you in with less than that as well tbh.

V100 History. :smile: I'm eager for the Essex for a year abroad they offer in Russia, it sounds immense! Plus I love the whole layout of the campus and the Towers look like amazing accomodation haha.

The towers are the best of the accommodation options.

But what's the nightlife like in Colchester? Do most students stay on campus for drinking and such or is it still pretty good there? Seemed a bit, well, suburban from what I saw :P

A mixture really. There is stuff going on pretty much everyday on campus and there are a few clubs in Colchester but they are not great really. The night-life is generally fine but obviously isn't going to be as good as in big cities. :smile:
Original post by Xhotas

There are nights out on campus for most tastes, you've got flirt on friday which is cheese and easy dance, sports fed which is marginally cheaper if you are a member of the sports fed

In town you've got the bars (v bar plays rock music, vodka bar, after office hours does nice cocktails) , pubs (yates, o'neils, hole in the wall, the play house) plus the clubs (liquid envy, route, and sky... i think, escape's shut i think) I'm not really a fan of the clubs of and the gay club i've not managed to find.
Reply 18
I've got a silly question that paddy_power can ponder over :tongue:. What was your first day like? Can you talk me through what happened? :biggrin: As detailed as you please :tongue:.

Thanks in advance matey.
Reply 19
Original post by DLJ
I've got a silly question that paddy_power can ponder over :tongue:. What was your first day like? Can you talk me through what happened? :biggrin: As detailed as you please :tongue:.

Thanks in advance matey.

The first thing I did was collect the key, which is actually very fast and easy, and take all my stuff up to the room. Because I have a lot more stuff than most people (a lot more books etc) this took a fair few trips. When I had put all my stuff in the room, and had checked a few other basic things (and randomly sang fields of athenry) the people who had brought me took me to the local Tesco where I purchased a variety of food for the coming week or so. I had already purchased a few boxes of beer (four I think) the night before in my local Tesco as they had a deal and these were sitting in the fridge.

We then came back, I put the food away and said goodbye to the aforementioned people before arranging the basic things in my room: I got my laptop out, put my clothes away and some other bits and pieces. After this I went into the kitchen and there were a few people there talking and getting to know each other and such so I joined in and over the next few hours we were gradually joined by more people as I drank more and more of my beers.

Come the evening, we had been to the shop (working out how to get there from accommodation: it is so simple but when you don't know you don't know) and has talked a lot. The general conversation when you first meet. I'm pretty sure we talked about what we were studying, our applications, what we were interested in etc. The night consisted, for me and for most people, of going around to various flats and sitting around talking/arguing and being drunk and stupid. This is pretty much the whole of the first week aside from introductory lectures. There was an event on the first night (and a whole freshers programme of events) but I had no interest in going to these.

I think that is pretty much the case. I also met a few people I had talked to before hand. It is generally just conversation with the flat, and then being drunk and stupid. During the week you also need to go and enrol and enrol at the health centre (they say you have to but I didn't bother) and there are various other things you can do. You make a lot of your friends and acquaintances during the first couple of nights but these are not necessarily your good friends months later of course (often they are not).

At least one person recognised me from TSR because I had mentioned having Hello Kitty shoelaces and as wearing them, lol.

If you have any specific questions then feel free to ask.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest