The Student Room Group
University of Essex
University of Essex
Colchester
Visit website

University of Essex: Ask A Student Thread / Information Thread :)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Whats the alternative nightlife like? Any club that plays Rock/Metal music?
I've heard there is a night once a week, however I was hoping there would be a bit more there. I mean I'm guessing there are people into that sort of music at Essex, where do they go out? I don't fancy going to another town every week...
Also, I'll be studying at the colchester campus if anyone could tell me anymore about the nightlife near there/what there is to do in the day:smile:
University of Essex
University of Essex
Colchester
Visit website
There's alt. night on a Thursday, I have heard it's a bit crap though, and that's from people who like the alternative scene. It doesn't appear to be that big. There isn't a right lot in Colchester itself, I've never heard anything for that scene, but then I've never actively looked so maybe someone else can tell you about Colchester. The nightlife is okay - they always have something going on. I'm not really into the clubbing scene, but there is top bar, which is just a bar and student bands play there sometimes, which is a nice atmosphere. So they really do they have something for everyone :smile:.
Reply 62
I'm actually surprised how disappointed I am now. I've narrowed my options down to either going Uni in Essex or Leicester, Essex has the course I'm more interested in but Leicester seems like it suits me better. I know it's about the education, but I can't imagine enjoying myself in a small town that seems like it has nothing there, and having nowhere to have a dance to good music.
Anyone been to Essex and hated it? Tell me why:smile:.
If anyone has lived in both Essex and Leicester, and could give me a real view, that would be great!
I know quite a lot of people who dropped out in the first term because the uni didn't suit them. At the end of the day, you shall be there for 3 years, you need to weigh up the pros and the cons. I like the campus and the fact that I don't have to walk very far to do anything and it's so close to London. And there will also be people there who also like the alt night and you may find you'd be having parties in their flats as opposed to out. But if you can't see yourself living there, it really is a big decision to make. You're only there for like 6 months of the year anyway, so yeah, I'd advise you to weigh up the pros and cons and see where you end up. There's no point in being in a course you're unhappy with just for the parties, but there's no point in doing a course that you enjoy, if you dislike the campus.
Reply 64
Anyone doing Computer Systems Engineering at the university? I have read about it, and it seems very good. Do you recommend it?
Reply 65
Original post by stifa
Anyone doing Computer Systems Engineering at the university? I have read about it, and it seems very good. Do you recommend it?

I have a mate doing Computer Science who says he really likes the course.
Original post by trig
Whats the alternative nightlife like? Any club that plays Rock/Metal music?
I've heard there is a night once a week, however I was hoping there would be a bit more there. I mean I'm guessing there are people into that sort of music at Essex, where do they go out? I don't fancy going to another town every week...
Also, I'll be studying at the colchester campus if anyone could tell me anymore about the nightlife near there/what there is to do in the day:smile:

I can't comment on the university, but I can definitely comment on the nightlife :p: there is more like large bars for alternative music, especially The Twist near Colchester Town but also Saint Mary's Art Centre you can go to before. Loads of the pubs have bands in but I'm not really sure about metal as that's not my thing.

I LOVE the nightlife in Colchester, although it could do with a club or two more! The clubs are a bit chavvy, the general Route/Liquid, but for bars it's perfect as they're so buzzing but it's not like massive, it's all really safe and you feel nice and there are so many places to drink! I always can get drunk but know I won't be brutally murdered walking home hahaa.
Original post by trig
I'm actually surprised how disappointed I am now. I've narrowed my options down to either going Uni in Essex or Leicester, Essex has the course I'm more interested in but Leicester seems like it suits me better. I know it's about the education, but I can't imagine enjoying myself in a small town that seems like it has nothing there, and having nowhere to have a dance to good music.
Anyone been to Essex and hated it? Tell me why:smile:.
If anyone has lived in both Essex and Leicester, and could give me a real view, that would be great!

Nooooooo waaaaaaay!!!!!!
Colchester isn't that small and at night it is definitely lively. On Thursdays/Fridays/Saturdays it's buzzing!
I found Leicester quite boring when I went there last week! Maybe that's just me though, I have to admit there isn't much "metal/rock" clubs but I really love Colchester. It's one of the biggest growing towns in England, and while it only has 100,000 people the borough has a lot more and it's near the sea and London and Ipswich etc. Obviously I may be biased but I LOVE where I live
Reply 68
Original post by SiaSiaSia
<3

Thanks for the rep :h:
I was under the impression there was a big student union funded night club/bar type thing on Colchester campus - 'Subzero' for the drinking/partying people no? Any good?

Secondly - are there full-length mirrors in the towers rooms? (i.e. inside wardrobe door or whatever).
I personally didn't like subzero, I found it boring and repetitive (same building day after day, with pretty much same music, sometimes with a fancy dress theme or nights like silent disco). But it all comes down to personal preference. It's meant to be good though, it people did't enjoy it, then it wouldn't be in business.

There is a full length mirror (ish) in the wardrobe door. :smile:
Reply 71
Original post by Winterbells
I was under the impression there was a big student union funded night club/bar type thing on Colchester campus - 'Subzero' for the drinking/partying people no? Any good?

Secondly - are there full-length mirrors in the towers rooms? (i.e. inside wardrobe door or whatever).

There is a big club, and a smaller one as well. They are not amazing, but also not awful. Yes, as said above, there is a mirror in the wardrobe :smile:
Thursday night route :p: my first the year pretty much the whole tower went
than it went £8 all you can drink
than its some other really cheap deal
Reply 73
How much does it cost to join societies? Im guessing it'll vary abit depending on what society, but any information would be good :smile:
biomedical sciences and essex as a whole....
without trying to be rude, do you find that being around people with average grades puts you in a lesser possition than say one of the top unis?

because, ive recently had a path change and gone from lazy ass to very academic, but the change was mid way through a levels... so i guess is what im trying to ask, is do you stand just as good chance of getting a 1st or 2.1 whichever uni you go?
hope i havnt offended anyone :biggrin:
Reply 75
Original post by trig
How much does it cost to join societies? Im guessing it'll vary abit depending on what society, but any information would be good :smile:

Not very much, most expensive I joined was 20 and that was a sport.
Reply 76
Original post by good morning
biomedical sciences and essex as a whole....
without trying to be rude, do you find that being around people with average grades puts you in a lesser possition than say one of the top unis?

because, ive recently had a path change and gone from lazy ass to very academic, but the change was mid way through a levels... so i guess is what im trying to ask, is do you stand just as good chance of getting a 1st or 2.1 whichever uni you go?
hope i havnt offended anyone :biggrin:

So many assumptions here.

1) Not everyone at Essex has "average" grades, and grades at A level mean roughly 0 to anyone who has an opinion worth anything. There are people here with all As and people with Ds similar to many universities. Depends what you mean by "lesser position" - I can't really work out what logic you are following but if you elaborate I can help you.
2) If you had the change half way through A levels then this is plenty of time to get all A*s so I don't see why you are worrying about having to go to Essex.
3) You clearly don't understand the university system to be honest. If anything it is easier to get a good grade at Essex than at many other places. University is not school - it is more about you than your teachers with respect to how well you do but if the caliber of student is lower then the caliber of marking shall be, whether directly or indirectly, influenced by this.
4) I doubt you offended anyone, don't worry. If you did then meh :smile:
Original post by paddy__power
So many assumptions here.

1) Not everyone at Essex has "average" grades, and grades at A level mean roughly 0 to anyone who has an opinion worth anything. There are people here with all As and people with Ds similar to many universities. Depends what you mean by "lesser position" - I can't really work out what logic you are following but if you elaborate I can help you.
2) If you had the change half way through A levels then this is plenty of time to get all A*s so I don't see why you are worrying about having to go to Essex.
3) You clearly don't understand the university system to be honest. If anything it is easier to get a good grade at Essex than at many other places. University is not school - it is more about you than your teachers with respect to how well you do but if the caliber of student is lower then the caliber of marking shall be, whether directly or indirectly, influenced by this.
4) I doubt you offended anyone, don't worry. If you did then meh :smile:

thankyou for that, and you are indeed correct. i dont know much about the grading at uni or even much about lectures, seminars and how you learn really :frown: its the only think im yet to research...
Reply 78
Original post by good morning
thankyou for that, and you are indeed correct. i dont know much about the grading at uni or even much about lectures, seminars and how you learn really :frown: its the only think im yet to research...

All in good time :smile:

I'm on my phone currently but will try and remember to explain it to you tomorrow :smile:
Original post by paddy__power
All in good time :smile:

I'm on my phone currently but will try and remember to explain it to you tomorrow :smile:

that would be much appreciated :smile: will rep you as much as possible tomorrow :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending