The Student Room Group

Accountancy degree with Access to HE Diploma

Hey

Just wondering if anyone has any experience of going for Accountancy/Accounting and Finance with an access course.

I'm starting my access course this year, and i still need to decide on my subjects on an open day coming up. The course does not offer level 3 maths. I will email some universities to ask, but just want to get as much advice as i can.

Do i need maths on top of my GCSE grade C?

Which would be the most appropriate access subjects?

I can choose 4, Business Studies is a given, so i need to choose 3 from:

ICT, English, Law, Psychology, Sociology, Biology, Health studies.

I imagine ICT could be helpful, but i'm a bit stuck with the others. Maybe Law and English as they're seen as more intense subjects, with essay writing, reading, comparing sources etc?

Any advice from anyone who has gone on to study an accountancy related degree after access would be fantastic, including what universities you applied to and why.

(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by 1991
Hey

Just wondering if anyone has any experience of going for Accountancy/Accounting and Finance with an access course.

I'm starting my access course this year, and i still need to decide on my subjects on an open day coming up. The course does not offer level 3 maths. I will email some universities to ask, but just want to get as much advice as i can.

I imagine ICT could be helpful, but i'm a bit stuck with the others. Maybe Law and English as they're seen as more intense subjects, with essay writing, reading, comparing sources etc?

Any advice from anyone who has gone on to study an accountancy related degree after access would be fantastic, including what universities you applied to and why.

http://courses.uwe.ac.uk/n420/2011#entry

Obviously it'll vary between university, but if you apply to ones with similar entry requirements you should be fine.

Someone else will be able to give you better advice but i think go with ICT and Business definitely, don't know about the other two.
Reply 2
Original post by 1991
Hey

Ring universities and ask them. There's no other way. I would stronly advise you to ensure that universities will accept you for an accountancy course without A-Level equivalency Maths.

I know it's not the same, but a mate of mine on my Access course (who is one of the brightest and most able students I know) got rejected from 4/5 of his universities because he's not doing the correct maths options.

Good luck :smile:
Reply 3
Thanks for your advice chaps, i've had replies from 6 universities now, they all say i don't need maths above gcse, so it's all good :smile: They all said a similar thing - with accountancy it's mainly about using certain formulae, and applying maths to real situations, so A Level maths while useful, isn't necessarily appropriate anyway.

Hannah
xx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending