The Student Room Group

Could I reach GCSE level in Italian over the summer?

Although English is my first language, I am fluent in two other languages, can write in two scripts and have studied German for a year at uni as a side module. I can understand a LOT of Swedish and conduct basic conversation. I've lived in Sweden but never bothered to pick it up because tbh I didn't need it whilst I was there.

Anyway I have four months off this summer and would like to learn Italian. Here's my plan:

-Work my way through Italian Espresso A1 (I've done three chapters already)
-Work my way through Boungiorno Italia.
-Pimsluer for pronounciation

I am willing to work hard, I love Italian and even though I've never studied a Romance language I find it easier than German :smile:

Also I want to work on my German possibly reach upper intermediate level around B1 ish.

Is it possible to reach GCSE Level? I suppose it is but I just wanted to see what people have to say :")

/Sofia
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1
I think to reach a good GCSE level over four months is possible, but requires a lot of work. Apart from immersion, learning by yourself usually takes longer, but if you work very hard, I'm sure you can reach a decent, but not great, level of GCSE-Italian. It's a shame you don't speak another romance language, or it'd be a lot easier! As long as you can get your head around italian grammar, I'm sure you won't have too great a problem! If you want any help, do PM me!

In bocca al lupo!
Reply 2
If you have a strong understanding of French or Spanish then it will be easy for you to read Italian. Writing and speaking requires work but it can be done over the Summer if you really work on it. I learnt Italian over this academic year and found the GCSE really quite easy since most words are very similar to French/Latin/Spanish
Reply 3
I have reached A-level standard in a year of university, so I'd certainly say it's possible.

Quick Reply

Latest