The Student Room Group

AQA Biology Unit 5 Synoptic essay help?

Factors which influence the concentration of glucose in blood.

How do I go about writing an essay for this? I just can't think of what to write about.
I'm dreading this part of the exam :frown:
Reply 1
Tell me about it! I'm dreading Biology full stop! Do you have the CGP revision guide? I'm finding that best for revision at the moment- keeps it nice and simple, and doesn't ramble like all the textbooks!!
Reply 2
M
Original post by Im-no-supergirl

How do I go about writing an essay for this? I just can't think of what to write about.

Hmmm probs all about glugacon and glucose and how they work antagonistically... Diet such as carbs... Could mention diabetes. Not sure how to get synoptic marks though :-|
Reply 3
Insulin i meant not glucose haha
Reply 4
Original post by dappydancer
Tell me about it! I'm dreading Biology full stop! Do you have the CGP revision guide? I'm finding that best for revision at the moment- keeps it nice and simple, and doesn't ramble like all the textbooks!!

the CGP revision guide IS the best thing for it.. Text book goes into unnecessary drivel thats of no use

you could mention respiration and increase in respiration leading to decrease in glucose concentration in blood? Glucagon and insulin. You could mention diabetes. Im not sure, but you could mention co transport proteins on the epithelial cells of the small intestine and the other protein channels involved in absorbing glucose in to the blood. I cant think of anymore ....
Original post by Rob16
the CGP revision guide IS the best thing for it.. Text book goes into unnecessary drivel thats of no use

I only find the textbooks useful for How Science Works type questions
Reply 7

I am too, I'd be happy with 12/25 and would rather focus on getting the other 75 marks.

Insulin and glucagon are a good place to start. You could also talk about rate of respiration.

You could talk about the absorption of carbohydrates from the small intestine( co transport).

A very subtle idea is that if there are bacteria in the blood, they could also metabolise glucose.
Reply 8
Original post by Ineluctable
I only find the textbooks useful for How Science Works type questions

tbh I found revision guide better for that too. I just found it perfect for biology :P
Original post by Rob16
tbh I found revision guide better for that too. I just found it perfect for biology :P

CGP summarise stuff so beautifully, the Toole and Toole textbook seems to ramble on.
Reply 10
Original post by Ineluctable
CGP summarise stuff so beautifully, the Toole and Toole textbook seems to ramble on.

Exactly, it's all I used for my revision, didn't even bother with class notes either. Revision guide summed it all up perfectly (and in such a way that if you learnt it well enough you could just copy it from your mind onto the exam paper!) It got me my A* in biology anyway so :tongue:
ENZYMES. :smile: breaking down carbohydrates - amylase in the mouth and pancreatic amylase, factors which effect the rate at which these enzymes work - 37 degrees, and how dennatureation may occur, passage of food through the digestive system, villi, micro villi, large surface area to volume ration. respiration of glucose by cells, gluconeogenesis, glycogenolysis, A and B cells, diabetes,
try and link in as much stuff from the WHOLE of the biology A level for those 3 marks on breadth :smile:
the second messenger model - how enxymes work, glycoprotein receptors on cells and how they're specific.
you could also give the structures of a and b glucose, and mention about how it's stored as starch and starch is a long branched polymer, insoluble and compact, and does not effect the osmotic potential of the cell.
I'd love to get this essay title tomorrow...
OH, one more, the brain respires exclusively on glucose, so is dependant on it.
Reply 15

You could say stuff about:
1. You eat so your glucose level rise. You absorb glucose through intestinal epitilial cells.
2. Enzymes such as Maltase, Sucrase, Lactase that break down polymers to monomers which for Maltose into 2xGlucose, Sucrose into Glucose & Fructose, Lactose into Glucose & Galactose
3. Talk about hormoes, insulin, glucagon.
4. Respiration causes decrease in concentration of blood glucose. More glucose used in exercise.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending