The Student Room Group

Edexcel Geography GCSE - Unit 1,2,3.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
how much is each unit worth? I understand that the coursework is worth 25% of the total gcse, do the other three units have equal weighting to this?
Original post by 1994Sarah
how much is each unit worth? I understand that the coursework is worth 25% of the total gcse, do the other three units have equal weighting to this?

Yes, they all weigh 25%.
Reply 22
Original post by shaminn
Just did a mock paper for unit 1, and got 46/50 which is an A* :biggrin: Happy times!

And case studies wise, for Restless earth i use, Mount Nyiragongo volcano, Sakurajime in Japan volcano. San Francisco of 89 earthquake, Sichaun Province in China earthquake.

For Biosphere stuff i do Tropical Forests (Global) usually just relate to the amazons, also use Guyana rainforest and the government harnessing it services and goods to make money.

I cant really remember the rest of them, your best bet is to ask your teacher, you should have notes for it all or even just find some new ones.

I'm actually in year 11, this is a resit :colondollar:
The exams on monday and i'd appreciate a list of the casestudies your teacher gave for UNIT 1 Thanks :smile:
Reply 23
does anyone have the january 2011 and june 2010 unit one higher papers??
Reply 24
I'm feeling pessimistic about this exam. I've achieved all Cs in the three units I've already done (Settlement, Tourism and Coursework), so 75% of my Geography GCSE mark is the equivalent to an C. If I achieved a D on the following exam, would I still manage to attain a C overall?
Reply 25
Full case studies anyone?:biggrin: please i need it badly:frown:

Also a breif topic summary if possible and what we would need to cover:smile:
Reply 26
Some case studies:

Sustainable development

Sustainable development 'development that meets the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs'

You could be asked to write what does a large company or organisation w/e do to be sustainable.

So, I always go on about Asda's policy which is: Instead of sending their waste to put into a skip which would need collecting by a lorry four times a week, they have invested into a baler which converts plastic waste to 10 percent of its original size. This results in only one collection a week needed as there is a lot less waste. The compressed plastic is collected by a company who recycle it into bin liners and other items. The supermarket is paid for this useful material.

Also, you could put that the use of video conferencing reduces a company's carbon footprint. That the internet is being used more frequent to send information and documents which therefore results in less paper being uses and that many companies are aiming to become paperless in the future. Also, you may have noticed that many hotel companies have a policy of only washing towels if clients ask them to, therefore reducing water usage and soap powder.

The management of transport in urban areas

Congestion charge is a well-known and successful scheme that has been introduced in London in 2003 at which time it was 5 pounds to enter the city. It is based on a system of cameras that photograph and then register car licence and plate numbers in its database. These cameras are located at all entry points into the congestion charge zone and within the zone itself and actually photograph both front and rear plates on entry and exit of the zones. It operates from 7.00a.m. until 6.00p.m. In 2011 the congestion charge has increased to 10 pounds.

The scheme results in

traffic levels reduction by 21 percent

65,000 fewer car journeys per day.

An increase of 29,000 bus passengers entering the zone during the morning peak rush period

The effects of resource extraction from tropical rainforests and their management

This is a question that we're likely to get as our 6 marks question. So here are some case studies about the effects of resource extraction:

Oil extraction in Ecuador

Miscarriages are common and stomach cancer is five times more frequent in the Oriente region because of hydrocarbons in theriver water.

Many plants such as the perwinkle which is used to cure childhood leukemia, are now becoming extinct.

Gas pipeline in Peru

Local people are exposed to diseases that they are not immune to. During the 1980s half of the Nahua died from Influenza and whooping cough

Many roads have been built through the forest in the Camisea region allowing settlers into the area who then cut down the forest to farm.

Mining in Indonesia

285,000 tonnes of mining waste are dumped into the River Aghawaghon every day. This pollutes fish and means there is a shortage of water for local people.

Crocodiles in the area of Teluk Etna are currently on the brink of extinction.

Tropical rainforest management - which basically means what do the governemnts in each country do to manage the rainforest in a sustainable way:

Costa Rica

Costa Rica is developing its rainforest in a sustainable way. One of the ways is through ecotourism. Many areas of the country, including the famous Cloud Forest area have developed tourist facilities such as zip wiring and trails through the forest which are very popular with tourists.

Madagascar

In 2001, Givaudan, a Swiss company, sent a team to Madagascar to survey for new fragrances. It developed 40 aromas that were then sold. The companies shared the profits with the local community through conservation and development initiatives.

Venezuela

Since 2008 the government of Venezuela has not issued any further permits to mine for gold or diamonds. In the Imataca Rainforest Reserve or anywhere else in the country. The country does not need to exploit the minerals for economic reason (due to its oils reserves), therefore it can afford to conserve its forest area.

The responses to climate change - from a global to a local scale

Global agreement between nations

June 1992 - The Earth Summit, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

This was a meeting organised by the United Nations to discuss climate change. The result of the meeting was the first international environmental treaty which aimed to stabilise greenhouse gas emissions.

December 1997 - Kyoto Conference, Japan

At this meeting, the Kyoto Protocol was signed which came into force in February 2005. By 2008, 181 countries had signed the Kyoto Protocol.

The agreement's main points were:

Greenhouse gas emissions to be cut by 5.2 per cent compared to 1990 levels globally.

Each country agreed to a national limit on emissions which ranged from 8 per cent for the EU, 7 per cent for the USA, 6 per cent for Japan and 0 per cent for Russia.

It allowed increases of 10 per cent for Iceland and 8 per cent for Australia because they were not using all of their carbon allowance.

In order to achieve their targets, countries could either cut their emissions or trade with other countries in carbon. This means that a country could buy carbon credits from another country. For example, Iceland could trade 2 per cent of its carbon credits with nthe EU to enable the EU to meet its taret of 8 per cent.

December 2007 - Ball Conference, Indonesia

Representatives of over 180 countries were present. The result of the meeting was the Bail Roadmap in which initiatives were agreed to try to reach a secure future climate.

Local scale responses

By schools

'Live Simply' is a campaign which ran throughout the whole of 2007. It was initiated by the Catholic Church to encourage students to consider how they make choices in life. It provided a number of resources for schools which made students think about their impact on the world and sustainability.

Many schools are introducing energy-efficient water and central heating systems run from renewable sources such as wind turbines or solar panels. Schools also have reminder notices to switch off lights.

Twenty-five school wind turbine projects in England, Wales and Northern Ireland, have been funded by the Clear skies scheme. By the time the initiative comes to an end, 12.5 million pounds will have been allocated to education projects since 2003.

The negative effects of climate change

Climate change has negative effects on the environment and people. These negative effects can be both a local and a global scale. On a global scale there has been a change in crop yields, sea levels and glaciers.

Some case studies:

In Kenya, droughts now happen every 3 years instead of every 10 years. In 2006 Kenya suffered its worst drought for 80 years. Many farmers lost all of their cattle.

Bangladesh suffers from coastal flooding. Experts say if the sea level goes up by 1m, Bangladesh will lose 17.5 per cent of its land.

There has been a loss of sea ice due to climate change. This is a problem for polar bears of Wrangel Island, a Russian nature reserve, because they cannot travel overland to catch their prey.

Why has the world's climate changed since the last ice age?

External factors - solar output:

Measurements made in the 1980s showed that the total amount of solar energy reaching the Earth has decreased by 0.1 per cent. If this continues, global temperatures could start to decrease between 0.5 and 1C. It is thought that the activity of sunspots on the Sun's surface affects solar output. There was a period of drastically reduced sunspot activity between 1645 and 1715 which might have been one of the causes of the little ice age.

Internal factors - surface reflection, change in atmospheric gases:

During cooler periods when there is a larger amount of snow and ice on the Earth, global temperatures will drop due to the snow and ice reflecting sunlight back to space. As the planet starts to warm up, snow and ice will diminish and the Earth will continue to get warmer.

Change in atmospheric gases - there is a clear relationship between the amount of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and the temperature variations. Carbon dioxide is one of the most important gases responsible for the greenhouse effect. The greenhouse effect keeps heat within the Earth's atmosphere by absorbing long wavelength radiation. Without the greenhouse effect the average global temperature of the Earth would be -18C rather than the present 15C.

Orbital geometry

The tilt of the Earth's axis varies over time. This variation occurs over a 41,000-year time period. When the angle is greater, the Earth usually experiences warmer periods.

Remember about PSD - place specific detail.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 27
Original post by Antheran
Some case studies:

Sustainable development

Sustainable development 'development that meets the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs'

You could be asked to write what does a large company or organisation w/e do to be sustainable.

So, I always go on about Asda's policy which is: Instead of sending their waste to put into a skip which would need collecting by a lorry four times a week, they have invested into a baler which converts plastic waste to 10 percent of its original size. This results in only one collection a week needed as there is a lot less waste. The compressed plastic is collected by a company who recycle it into bin liners and other items. The supermarket is paid for this useful material.

Also, you could put that the use of video conferencing reduces a company's carbon footprint. That the internet is being used more frequent to send information and documents which therefore results in less paper being uses and that many companies are aiming to become paperless in the future. Also, you may have noticed that many hotel companies have a policy of only washing towels if clients ask them to, therefore reducing water usage and soap powder.

The management of transport in urban areas

Congestion charge is a well-known and successful scheme that has been introduced in London in 2003 at which time it was 5 pounds to enter the city. It is based on a system of cameras that photograph and then register car licence and plate numbers in its database. These cameras are located at all entry points into the congestion charge zone and within the zone itself and actually photograph both front and rear plates on entry and exit of the zones. It operates from 7.00a.m. until 6.00p.m. In 2011 the congestion charge has increased to 10 pounds.

The scheme results in

traffic levels reduction by 21 percent

65,000 fewer car journeys per day.

An increase of 29,000 bus passengers entering the zone during the morning peak rush period

The effects of resource extraction from tropical rainforests and their management

This is a question that we're likely to get as our 6 marks question. So here are some case studies about the effects of resource extraction:

Oil extraction in Ecuador

Miscarriages are common and stomach cancer is five times more frequent in the Oriente region because of hydrocarbons in theriver water.

Many plants such as the perwinkle which is used to cure childhood leukemia, are now becoming extinct.

Gas pipeline in Peru

Local people are exposed to diseases that they are not immune to. During the 1980s half of the Nahua died from Influenza and whooping cough

Many roads have been built through the forest in the Camisea region allowing settlers into the area who then cut down the forest to farm.

Mining in Indonesia

285,000 tonnes of mining waste are dumped into the River Aghawaghon every day. This pollutes fish and means there is a shortage of water for local people.

Crocodiles in the area of Teluk Etna are currently on the brink of extinction.

Tropical rainforest management - which basically means what do the governemnts in each country do to manage the rainforest in a sustainable way:

Costa Rica

Costa Rica is developing its rainforest in a sustainable way. One of the ways is through ecotourism. Many areas of the country, including the famous Cloud Forest area have developed tourist facilities such as zip wiring and trails through the forest which are very popular with tourists.

Madagascar

In 2001, Givaudan, a Swiss company, sent a team to Madagascar to survey for new fragrances. It developed 40 aromas that were then sold. The companies shared the profits with the local community through conservation and development initiatives.

Venezuela

Since 2008 the government of Venezuela has not issued any further permits to mine for gold or diamonds. In the Imataca Rainforest Reserve or anywhere else in the country. The country does not need to exploit the minerals for economic reason (due to its oils reserves), therefore it can afford to conserve its forest area.

Remember about PSD - place specific detail.

Wow, thanks alot, is that all you have for UNIT 1? Geographical skills, im sure theres more you can write..
Reply 28
Does anyone have the 2011 past paper for Unit 1?
Reply 29
Oh yes, sorry, this is only unit 1. I haven't got any case studies for other units. I will edit my post with some more information soon (approx 1h), just felt like taking a break.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 30
I did a past paper for Challenges For The Planet. Do any of you mind if I post my answers here to see if I'm correct? :smile:
Reply 31
Go ahead, nothing to lose.
Reply 32
Okay. :smile:

Section B - Challenges For The Planet (25 Marks)

4 (a) (i) Explain how and why car exhuast emissions are a major contributor to global warming. (4 Marks)

The increase in global car ownership culminates in an increase of oil being used. Burning oil results in carbon dioxide (CO2) being released into the atmosphere. Carbon dioxide contributes towards the greenhouse effect by keeping heat trapped within the atmosphere, thus causing warmer temperatures. These 'greenhouse gases' also cause the ozone layer to diminish, also leading to warmer temperatures by allowing ultraviolet radiation to enter the Earth's atmosphere.

ii) Explain how two natural processes also contribute to climate change. (4 Marks)

1. During cooler periods when snow and ice are present, the snow and ice reflect sunlight back into space. As the temperature warms, the snow and ice will melt, and the ultraviolet radiation will reach the Earth's surface, causing the Earth to become warmer.

2. The level of sunspot activity on the Sun's surface affects solar output. There was drastically reduced sunspot activity between 1645 and 1715. This may have been one of the causes of the 'Little Ice Age,' so reduced sunspot activity culminates in more colder temperatures.

4 (b) (i) Identify two ways in which coral reefs are threatened by global warming. (2 Marks)

1. Coral Bleaching.
2. Carbon dioxide dissolving in coral reefs, causing carbonic acid to form.

(ii) Describe how global warming leads to rising sea levels. (3 Marks)

The emission of greenhouse gases forms a cloak around the Earth's atmosphere, keeping heat trapped within the atmosphere. These increasing temperatures cause glaciers to either melt or retreat in Arctic regions, causing sea levels to rise.

5 (a) Explain two causes of the reduction in the area covered by rainforest between 2000 and 2005. (4 Marks)

1. Wood is obtained from the rainforests which is usually utilized in the timber industry as companies access these forests to acquire the wood, leading to more deforestation.

2. Brazil's Carajas Iron Ore Plant uses predominantly wood to power it. This results in annual deforestation of up to 6,100km2.

(b) What is meant by sustainable development? (2 Marks)

Conserving natural resources whilst acknowledging human needs.

*(c) In many areas of the world tropical rainforests are under threat.
With the use of examples explain some of the ways in which tropical rainforests are being managed. (6 Marks)

Thirty-two thousand hectares of rainforest are cut down every day. Countries try to manage their rainforests in order to tackle various problems regarding the environment, such as Costa Rica. Costa Rica intends to expand its economy and cease environmental concerns by introducing ecotourism. Facilities such as zip-wiring and trails through the forest have been encompassed in the ecotourism scheme as they are renowned amongst tourists.
However, Peru had devised roads leading through the forest in the Camisea region which allows settlers to access the forest and subsequently cut down the forest to farm, having a detrimental impact upon the environment.

Have I illustrated my points well? How many marks would you give each one?

EDIT - I did all of this from the top of my head, I did not copy. What would be the point of that anyways?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 33
Very well answered, detailed and understandable. I would give full marks.

A question about case studies:

Volcano: 2 MEDC and 2 LEDC needed? 2 for responses as well
Earthquakes: same with the earthquake?
Case study for compostie and shield volcano?

river pollution case study needed for both LEDC and MEDC?

Basically do i need a case study for every topic that refers to a MEDC and an LEDC?
Reply 34
Can anyone help me with this question its on the edexcel january 2011
State two advantages of using GIS compared to looking at the maps separately..

I don't even know what GIS is...can someone please help me :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 35
i think GIS is geographic information system so im guessing like google maps?

It would be easier quicker, less time consuming, more direct and straight to the point.
Reply 36
Original post by shelcin
i think GIS is geographic information system so im guessing like google maps?

It would be easier quicker, less time consuming, more direct and straight to the point.

Oh ok...Thank You:biggrin:
Reply 37
Original post by Jackb95
Okay. :smile:

Section B - Challenges For The Planet (25 Marks)

4 (a) (i) Explain how and why car exhuast emissions are a major contributor to global warming. (4 Marks)

The increase in global car ownership culminates in an increase of oil being used. Burning oil results in carbon dioxide (CO2) being released into the atmosphere. Carbon dioxide contributes towards the greenhouse effect by keeping heat trapped within the atmosphere, thus causing warmer temperatures. These 'greenhouse gases' also cause the ozone layer to diminish, also leading to warmer temperatures by allowing ultraviolet radiation to enter the Earth's atmosphere.

ii) Explain how two natural processes also contribute to climate change. (4 Marks)

1. During cooler periods when snow and ice are present, the snow and ice reflect sunlight back into space. As the temperature warms, the snow and ice will melt, and the ultraviolet radiation will reach the Earth's surface, causing the Earth to become warmer.

2. The level of sunspot activity on the Sun's surface affects solar output. There was drastically reduced sunspot activity between 1645 and 1715. This may have been one of the causes of the 'Little Ice Age,' so reduced sunspot activity culminates in more colder temperatures.

4 (b) (i) Identify two ways in which coral reefs are threatened by global warming. (2 Marks)

1. Coral Bleaching.
2. Carbon dioxide dissolving in coral reefs, causing carbonic acid to form.

(ii) Describe how global warming leads to rising sea levels. (3 Marks)

The emission of greenhouse gases forms a cloak around the Earth's atmosphere, keeping heat trapped within the atmosphere. These increasing temperatures cause glaciers to either melt or retreat in Arctic regions, causing sea levels to rise.

5 (a) Explain two causes of the reduction in the area covered by rainforest between 2000 and 2005. (4 Marks)

1. Wood is obtained from the rainforests which is usually utilized in the timber industry as companies access these forests to acquire the wood, leading to more deforestation.

2. Brazil's Carajas Iron Ore Plant uses predominantly wood to power it. This results in annual deforestation of up to 6,100km2.

(b) What is meant by sustainable development? (2 Marks)

Conserving natural resources whilst acknowledging human needs.

*(c) In many areas of the world tropical rainforests are under threat.
With the use of examples explain some of the ways in which tropical rainforests are being managed. (6 Marks)

Thirty-two thousand hectares of rainforest are cut down every day. Countries try to manage their rainforests in order to tackle various problems regarding the environment, such as Costa Rica. Costa Rica intends to expand its economy and cease environmental concerns by introducing ecotourism. Facilities such as zip-wiring and trails through the forest have been encompassed in the ecotourism scheme as they are renowned amongst tourists.
However, Peru had devised roads leading through the forest in the Camisea region which allows settlers to access the forest and subsequently cut down the forest to farm, having a detrimental impact upon the environment.

Have I illustrated my points well? How many marks would you give each one?

EDIT - I did all of this from the top of my head, I did not copy. What would be the point of that anyways?

i did this paper for the mock and got it marked so i think you would of got...

4.a.i - 4/4

4.1.ii - 4/4

4.b.i - i think you had to say bleaching because rising sea levels blocked the light or increase in sea temperature but you might get the mark - 1 or 2/2

4.b.ii - thermal expansion of the sea, melted glaciers run off into sea - 2/4

5.a - you had to say about why specifically during 2000-05, so talk about increase in demand for wood due to rising population, more demand for biofuels, more food needed so space for farming required etc - 2/4

5.b - i said improving our quality of life without damaging the quality of life of future generations or the environment so im not really sure... maybe 1 or 2/2?

5.c - its good you'd probably get 4 or 5/6 but you could mention carbon credits in bolivia, merck in costa rica, suing oil companies in equador or restricting plans for a power plant and not exploiting gold/coal in malaysia

for this paper the A* boundary was 35/60 for the whole paper (including skills) so i'd say this would probably get you an A* :biggrin:
Reply 38
Original post by ser00
i did this paper for the mock and got it marked so i think you would of got...

4.a.i - 4/4

4.1.ii - 4/4

4.b.i - i think you had to say bleaching because rising sea levels blocked the light or increase in sea temperature but you might get the mark - 1 or 2/2

4.b.ii - thermal expansion of the sea, melted glaciers run off into sea - 2/4

5.a - you had to say about why specifically during 2000-05, so talk about increase in demand for wood due to rising population, more demand for biofuels, more food needed so space for farming required etc - 2/4

5.b - i said improving our quality of life without damaging the quality of life of future generations or the environment so im not really sure... maybe 1 or 2/2?

5.c - its good you'd probably get 4 or 5/6 but you could mention carbon credits in bolivia, merck in costa rica, suing oil companies in equador or restricting plans for a power plant and not exploiting gold/coal in malaysia

for this paper the A* boundary was 35/60 for the whole paper (including skills) so i'd say this would probably get you an A* :biggrin:

I'm just reiterating everything I've learnt from the Geography booklet I bought. Thank you for the comments, but I'll probably forget everything. Either that or something that I haven't really went in depth with will probably come up to annoy me. :biggrin:
Reply 39
Original post by shelcin
Very well answered, detailed and understandable. I would give full marks.

A question about case studies:

Volcano: 2 MEDC and 2 LEDC needed? 2 for responses as well
Earthquakes: same with the earthquake?
Case study for compostie and shield volcano?

river pollution case study needed for both LEDC and MEDC?

Basically do i need a case study for every topic that refers to a MEDC and an LEDC?

Thanks. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending