The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

why have cotton when you can have silk?
Reply 21
Comparing the overall reputation of universities when you want to do a particular course is about as useful as comparing National GDPs when all you want is a nice beach.

I take real issue with the notion that "it's always been:Oxbridge 1st and 2nd. With imperial and lse battling it out for 3rd and 4th respectively. UCL lags behind."

There is very little objective evidence to back this up. Further putting imperial into the equation muddies the water. Imperial is a science university - how can it possibly be compared to UCL's other departments? Why should a law student care whether its university can cure erectile dysfunction?

LSEs international reputation is one based around its social policy courses; not its law course. As I have said previously, if your metric is getting a job in law, then LSE offers nothing over UCL.

It only seems to be those at LSE that claim 3rd place... few others would agree.
Reply 22
Lawz-
It only seems to be those at LSE that claim 3rd place... few others would agree.

I'm not at LSE, but I'd put LSE above UCL but not by much. I don't think there is much to choose when it comes specifically to law, other than personal preference. I think LSE is better, but thats just my opinion.
Reply 23
Socrates
I'm not at LSE, but I'd put LSE above UCL but not by much. I don't think there is much to choose when it comes specifically to law, other than personal preference. I think LSE is better, but thats just my opinion.

Well its fairly patent that universities can be better if personal preference is the measure; clearly people prefer certain universities over others.

However, in terms of any objective reason to say that you are better off doing law at LSE than at UCL ... I am yet to see any. In fact - the contrary ... I have regularly seen indications that it matters not at all.
Reply 24
Lawz-
However, in terms of any objective reason to say that you are better off doing law at LSE than at UCL ... I am yet to see any. In fact - the contrary ... I have regularly seen indications that it matters not at all.

...and neither is there any objective reason that law at UCL is better than LSE. Its just an endless argument made by those either at LSE or UCL to prove their university is 'better'.

BTW - Welcome back :smile:
Reply 25
Socrates
...and neither is there any objective reason that law at UCL is better than LSE. Its just an endless argument made by those either at LSE or UCL to prove their university is 'better'.

BTW - Welcome back :smile:

Indeed. I would never claim UCL is better than LSE ... I think LSE is an excellent institution... it just seems many at LSE are far too often afflcited with a superiority complex that has very little basis ... It seems that is what feeds the endless debate about which is better... Its rare to see a UCL student starting a thread claiming supremecy unless in response to one from LSE...

Thanks :wink: although Im not sure how well it will suit my LPC (the worst course in the world by the way).
Reply 26
Lawz-
Indeed. I would never claim UCL is better than LSE ... I think LSE is an excellent institution... it just seems many at LSE are far too often afflcited with a superiority complex that has very little basis ... It seems that is what feeds the endless debate about which is better... Its rare to see a UCL student starting a thread claiming supremecy unless in response to one from LSE...

Thanks :wink: although Im not sure how well it will suit my LPC (the worst course in the world by the way).

You obviously haven't been around here recently :wink:

Every other post by a UCLer (mainly Paul (Phonicsdude) and President_Ben) is in attempt to 'prove' UCL is better than LSE.
Reply 27
Socrates
You obviously haven't been around here recently :wink:

Every other post by a UCLer (mainly Paul (Phonicsdude) and President_Ben) is in attempt to 'prove' UCL is better than LSE.

Lol .. then I certainly have missed out on some wonderfully unfounded partisanship ...

I'm yet to understand what the measure is? To be honest, aside from being able to feel superior at a dinner party the only worthwhile measure is employment prospects ... I see no reason to think UCL or LSE offer significantly better prospects than the other ... unless of course you want to START work in Shanghai or Singapore... which will probably apply to 0.002% of local students.
Reply 28
I thought I was the only sane person left here. Good to know there is company. :wink:

(I'm zaf1986 btw, remember all those debates we had back in the day :wink:)
Reply 29
Socrates
I thought I was the only sane person left here. Good to know there is company. :wink:

(I'm zaf1986 btw, remember all those debates we had back in the day :wink:)

Heh .. I was just about to ask who it was ... the post count and the yellow bird of alcoholsim and ineffectual leadership led me to think it would be you :wink:

Only too glad if I can bring a little sanity back ... how MUCH I bring .. and whether it ouweighs the nonsense I bring with it ... well thats another matter.
Reply 30
Lawz-
Heh .. I was just about to ask who it was ... the post count and the yellow bird of alcoholsim and ineffectual leadership led me to think it would be you :wink:

Hehe...
Well done!

Only too glad if I can bring a little sanity back ... how MUCH I bring .. and whether it ouweighs the nonsense I bring with it ... well thats another matter.

I see you haven't lost it in this old age...:biggrin:
Reply 31
Socrates

I think that Cambridge is better than Oxford, but thats never going to be settled. From what I see they're both amazingly good universities. I dont see how anyone can place one over the other based on actual facts. The fact that LSE is more elitist (bitterness shining through) certainly doesn't make them better. Perosnally I like UCL better but cant say thats based upon the institution being better then LSE, just preference, much as with Oxbridge. *Zips lip*
Reply 32
oh dear god not this again...
Reply 33
1. Looking at the Times good university guide for this year, LSE actually came two places below UCL. however this is a measure of teaching quality and does vary from year to year.

2. with regards to employment prospects it depends what job and what qualification. if an employer faces a student from LSE with a first and a student from UCL with a 2:1 or vice versa, the first is clearly going to win. at the end of the day its not just which uni but also how much you want from the degree. at the same time if your'e looking at a good job in a top city firm, LSE is a better bet than UCL, for some reason employers in the city prefer it to UCL :hmmmm2:

3. at the end of the day, the majority of your decision should be on personal preference. i don't like the look or feel of UCL, hence i did'nt apply there. the more cosmopolitan and international feel of LSE did apply to me so i would consider it better.

in conclusion, neither is better than the other, it depends on what you're looking for and the main factor should be whether you want to spend three years of your life in that place and with those people.

i hope this puts this thread and debate to bed....at the bottom of the sea :biggrin: :biggrin:
Yeh. Im well happy lawz is back.
back to instill a degree of...erectile dysfunction to LSE's ego.

(LSE is favoured over UCL in the City? Poppycock!)

UCL produced Chris Martin and Ghandi.
Only Exeter (which produced Thom Yorke) can trump that.
Reply 35
Phonicsdude
(LSE is favoured over UCL in the City? Poppycock!)

Its certainly prefered at the White House.
LSE produced J F Kennedy and is producing (lol) Monica Lewinsky.
But then I guess UCL should be flattered that it has consistently managed to churn out graduates who are intelligent enough not to have to resort to work in the Centre of Biblical Insanity (aka. Da White house).
Reply 37
i think that rather than make this into a big debate we shud just attempt to answer the question of the person who started this thread. you are obviously incapable of giving an impartial view as you go to UCL so maybe you shud'nt give us your biased opinions. it does'nt help the person who genuinly wants some info rather than to be touted by members of both uni's
teehar
i think that rather than make this into a big debate we shud just attempt to answer the question of the person who started this thread. you are obviously incapable of giving an impartial view as you go to UCL so maybe you shud'nt give us your biased opinions. it does'nt help the person who genuinly wants some info rather than to be touted by members of both uni's

OK. So you are saying that it is objectively possible to separate the two unis?

What is better, the apple or the banana?
Well we can get a load of opinion (set up a thread in chat and come back a week later... :rolleyes: ) but there will never be a consensus.
It is a futile excercise.
It comes down to which you prefer when you visit the unis.
And if you are anything but Chinese then you will agree that UCL is better.
Reply 39
Phonicsdude
But then I guess UCL should be flattered that it has consistently managed to churn out graduates who are intelligent enough not to have to resort to work in the Centre of Biblical Insanity (aka. Da White house).

Haha.

If it makes you feel better :wink:

--------------

Phonicsdude
OK. So you are saying that it is objectively possible to separate the two unis?

You say this, and I agree. When it comes to law. Other subjects it varies (mainly because UCL do subjects that LSE don't and vice versa).

Phonicsdude
And if you are anything but Chinese then you will agree that UCL is better.

Then you say this...:rolleyes:

Latest

Trending

Trending