The Student Room Group

MSc Finance LSE vs MSc MTF at CASS ?

I have been working at a tier 1 IB for about a year now and I'm interested in moving into trading. I decided to do a part time masters while i work to pick up some finance/ more quant knowledge. Im stuck between two courses - MSc in finance at lse and mathematical trading & finance at CASS. Although LSE is a better name, at the end of the day the content also matters, and the MTF course seems to have much more quantitative elements while the LSE finance course is just a typical finance course that i can probably learn from a book and/or from a CFA course (which I dont plan to do). Im in a bit of a dilemma as I'm not sure if the advantage gained from the LSE name is big enough to outweigh the content being more interesting and relevant with the CASS course.. for reference I have a first class MEng degree (UCL) and AAAA at A-levels.

Any recommendations?

Cheers

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Go for LSE.

tbh, I find it even quite odd that someone who is from the calibre to get accepted to the MSc Finance programme at LSE would even ask something like this but yea..
Reply 2
Are you saying this because of the reputation? MTF seems so much more quantitative and thats whats attractive to me..
Reply 3
I am on the MSc Finance course at LSE and i' d say it's not as quant as the MTF at Cass. Prestige wise it's also a toss up as markets boys know the quality of the MTF at Cass. Don't get me wrong I am the biggest LSE snob you'll find, but the MTF will leave you better equipped AND the MTF has the name factor (not other Cass Masters mind).
You have a quantish degree already. I would wait another year and go to LBS.
Reply 5
LBS or LSE every single time. They are leagues above Cass regardless of the marketing spiel on the Cass website.
Reply 6
Sounds you have the requirements already for a full time job, why study a masters?
Reply 7
do people actually pay 20k to these uni's all in the name of a masters degree .....omggg...lbs is worse 53k ....:O
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by jus-mi
do people actually pay 20k to these uni's all in the name of a masters degree .....omggg...lbs is worse 53k ....:O

A lot of the people on the part-time masters courses are sponsored by their company..
Reply 9
Original post by jus-mi

If you look at the return of investment and % increase in salary for the courses from LBS 53k isn't much in comparison.

Most graduates are able to pay that off within 2-3 years tops.
Reply 10
Original post by Mr Chow
If you look at the return of investment and % increase in salary for the courses from LBS 53k isn't much in comparison.

Most graduates are able to pay that off within 2-3 years tops.

but its the fact of not knowing exactly that return - that risk - is what would put me off, however if someone was paying for me then i see why people do these courses.

Either good look x
LBS is 33k for the MFin which makes it about 10-15k more expensive than the others. I'd rather pay 33k and dramatically increase my chances of getting that ever elusive FO job than waste 20k going to some no name uni that's decided to join the finance bandwagon.

Also, HSBC offers a loan to anyone that gets a place so you don't have to be wealthy to go there.
Reply 12
Original post by coconut trader
LBS is 33k for the MFin which makes it about 10-15k more expensive than the others. I'd rather pay 33k and dramatically increase my chances of getting that ever elusive FO job than waste 20k going to some no name uni that's decided to join the finance bandwagon.

Also, HSBC offers a loan to anyone that gets a place so you don't have to be wealthy to go there.

I could MFin at LBS when im done with this the MTF.. i really need the quant knowledge - it is indeed a very prestigious degree but I don't have enough experience right now and i wouldnt wanna hold my breath for it next year and waste a year.

But BTW - CASS is not a no name uni, it is ranked high in the league tables ive seen, 3rd behind LSE and LBS. I'm not only after the name, I'm mainly after the actual content.
I wasn't really thinking of CASS and LSE when I wrote that more so places like Kent. The fact that unis don't release placement stats makes me worried about the quality/perceived quality of a lot these courses. The content might be great but the brand is important too unfortunately.
Reply 14
I agree with you.. but you need a mix of content and brand.. obv brand has to be in the top tier..
Original post by vivaitalia1
I agree with you.. but you need a mix of content and brand.. obv brand has to be in the top tier..

Regardless of my previous negative comments about CASS. They do actually get people into FO quite alot these days.... Even a few at GS.

I would still pick LSE for the prestige, but maybe a slightly better course?
Reply 16
When do people on the Msc. Finance PT start applying for Grad roles? During their first year?

Is it possible to start a Grad scheme (having already done a long internship) whilst on the PT Msc. Finance programme? It's 2 nights a week.

Cheers.
Reply 17
Original post by messy17
When do people on the Msc. Finance PT start applying for Grad roles? During their first year?

Is it possible to start a Grad scheme (having already done a long internship) whilst on the PT Msc. Finance programme? It's 2 nights a week.

Cheers.

I guess you start applying during your first year, that would mean commencing the grad program whilst completing the 2nd year of the Msc.
Reply 18
Original post by lee11
I guess you start applying during your first year, that would mean commencing the grad program whilst completing the 2nd year of the Msc.

Would one be able to keep up with the workload of the Msc and a FT grad role?
Reply 19
Original post by messy17
Would one be able to keep up with the workload of the Msc and a FT grad role?

Not in IBD, yes for Markets roles and BO as you'll finish by 6/7ish.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending