The Student Room Group

Do you have to tell your uni...

...that you're applying to transfer into Yr 2 of a similar course at a different institution next year? I'm just worried about their reaction if I get rejected by the new uni and end up having to stay at my old one.... :rolleyes:

Naturally I'd tell them if I got a definate yes from the other uni, but I don't want to tell them any sooner than I have to!
Reply 1
I think you need to get them to 'release' you, else you might have trouble with your fees and loan assessment.

Call your LEA - they'll be able to advise you.

Why are you wanting to change? You might find that if you involve them, someone will know someone at the Uni you want to transfer to and might be able to make the transition a little more smooth by pulling some strings....

I love my course and my tutors etc. I just hate the uni and the town it's in. There's not much to do here and I'm used to living in a big city so it's a big culture shock (and not a very welcome one lol) to move here. My other choice of uni is in England (yay I'll be able to understand what people are saying!) but that uni rejected me for entry this year because I'm a mature student and I didn't take A-Levels. I'm hoping that if they see I'm getting high 2:1s and low 1sts in my assignments and exams they might change their mind...
Reply 3
Then speak to your tutor, I'm sure that (s)he will be more than supportive. It's always good to have someone ont he inside to talk to too, will make things so much less stressful than if you feel like your skulking around...
Reply 4
I was going to transfer and my prospective new uni wanted a reference at the same time as my details etc., so I agree with Fluffy, speak to your tutor now because you may need them to write a reference for you before your `new` uni says yes or no anyway!

Good luck with the move :smile:
Reply 5
ellewoods
my prospective new uni wanted a reference at the same time as my details etc...speak to your tutor now because you may need them to write a reference for you before your `new` uni says yes or no anyway!

but how should one know whether a prospective uni would need a reference from the old uni, and not just the original A-level reference?
Reply 6
Reloaded
but how should one know whether a prospective uni would need a reference from the old uni, and not just the original A-level reference?

If you're transfering rather than starting again, you'll need a ref from your current uni.
Reply 7
in that case, will i need to inform my uni now that i wish to leave after yr 1? and will my prospective uni be aware of my current attendance of uni? (i'm starting again).
if not, i will either have to pretend i did nothing all year, or admit that i am unreliable and just decided to leave...
Reply 8
If your restarting (i.e. reapplying through UCAS etc), then you don't have to say anything as far as I am aware...

Phone your LEA and ask - they often have a good idea about these things as they can affect your funding...
Reloaded

The university will usually contact you directly once your application has been received before making an offer. I applied to Liverpool when I was in the process of dropping out and the admissions tutor asked for a reference from my current university tutor.
Reply 10
admissions tutor asked for a reference from my current university tutor

well there goes my plan of keeping it a secret from my uni.
as for my original reference, there shouldn't be any problem if i just ask my old 6th form to send it to me?

Latest

Trending

Trending