The Student Room Group

Secondary PGCE - Primary placement :(

I have an offer for a secondary science PGCE. A month or so ago a got a pack with info on arranging a 7-day primary school placement. However, so far every school I have asked it full as year 10s have their work experience etc. Is anybody else in the same boat?
If you can't do it before the end of term, can you maybe do it throughout the first week of September?

I have to do one week (5 days) Primary School Experience and will be doing mine from 5th Sept and start uni on the 12th.

...so if the schools you have contacted are using schools kids work experience as an excuse...perhaps suggest September - surely that won't class with work experience?

Also, maybe expand your search and be willing to travel a bit (of course this depends on transport links where you are).

I live in London and will be doing my PSE at a school that will involve me leaving my house at 6.30am and driving for an hour and a half!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by mypsuedonym

Original post by mypsuedonym
If you can't do it before the end of term, can you maybe do it throughout the first week of September?

I have to do one week (5 days) Primary School Experience and will be doing mine from 5th Sept and start uni on the 12th.

...so if the schools you have contacted are using schools kids work experience as an excuse...perhaps suggest September - surely that won't class with work experience?

Also, maybe expand your search and be willing to travel a bit (of course this depends on transport links where you are).

I live in London and will be doing my PSE at a school that will involve me leaving my house at 6.30am and driving for an hour and a half!

It has to be before Sept 16th, and every school I've spoken to has said they're too busy/don't take students/have other students coming in Sept. One was lovely and really did try but they open on the 5th and are obvs. really busy on the first couple of days. And I have to enrol on the 7th of Sept so would have been really tight trying to get in the 7 days.
I'm in Leeds and so far only been contacting schools here. Waiting on phonecalls back from 5 schools, but going to start ringing up some Bradford ones tomorrow.
Original post by SHABANA

Original post by SHABANA
It has to be before Sept 16th, and every school I've spoken to has said they're too busy/don't take students/have other students coming in Sept. One was lovely and really did try but they open on the 5th and are obvs. really busy on the first couple of days. And I have to enrol on the 7th of Sept so would have been really tight trying to get in the 7 days.
I'm in Leeds and so far only been contacting schools here. Waiting on phonecalls back from 5 schools, but going to start ringing up some Bradford ones tomorrow.

Do you know of anyone, anywhere in the country who is a primary school teacher/has connections to a primary school?
I've always found that having a foot in the door with someone who is already working there or similar works wonders with schools. So many of them are inundated with requests for work experience so having that personal contact is always really helpful as the person can provide a character reference for you to the head teacher.

If you do, I'd ask them if they could help you out and be prepared to get a travellodge or similar for a few nights if you can't stay with them. I'm not sure how old you are, but have you considered your friends parents? are any of them teachers?
Reply 4
Original post by oxymoronic

Original post by oxymoronic
Do you know of anyone, anywhere in the country who is a primary school teacher/has connections to a primary school?
I've always found that having a foot in the door with someone who is already working there or similar works wonders with schools. So many of them are inundated with requests for work experience so having that personal contact is always really helpful as the person can provide a character reference for you to the head teacher.

If you do, I'd ask them if they could help you out and be prepared to get a travellodge or similar for a few nights if you can't stay with them. I'm not sure how old you are, but have you considered your friends parents? are any of them teachers?

Thanks for your reply. I actually managed to secure a place this morning! A bit of travelling for me but nothing too hectic. Phew!

Quick Reply

Latest