The Student Room Group

I'm a medic- get me out of here!

So here's the deal. I need your advice:

I'm a 2nd year medic in one of the top 10 UK uni's. A levels( A - Chem A - Bio A - Eng Lit , B - AS Maths, A - AS GS.) At present I'm doing an intercalated Bsc (Hons) and am wavering on 2.1/2.2. I hate my subject and now know that I don't want to be a doctor. I do, however, think if I leave this course I will regret it because one just has to look at the number of people trying to get into medicine and the cost of the course(I live in my mum's rented house which I greatly appreciate- so it's cheaper for me.) I can get through this for the greater good in other words.

So if worst comes to worst and I get a 2.2 and believe me I'm trying not to will my MB ChB (the Dr bit) make up for it? Can I go into law, finance, banking? How do I get into pharmacueticals?

Cheers all .
Reply 1
I don't know, but imagine that anyone that gets a 2.2 (in any subject) is going to be restricting their options.
I would have thought a 2:2 in medicine would be so respected that you could get on to pretty much anything you want after that. Are you sure though that you want to get into debt (i know it'll be less cos you're living at home), but over the years, you'll still get a fair bit of debt.
Reply 3
Melissa85
So if worst comes to worst and I get a 2.2 and believe me I'm trying not to will my MB ChB (the Dr bit) make up for it? Can I go into law, finance, banking? How do I get into pharmacueticals?

yes, your MB ChB will make up for a 2.2 at intercalation but it's a bit of waste of a year - still, if you manage to graduate as a doctor then you won't find any doors closed. i'm intercalating at the moment and it's bloody hard work! quite a few people here get 2.2s, they certainly don't give good degrees out on a plate either!

Jimmocrates
I would have thought a 2:2 in medicine

medicine isn't classified. you either pass, fail or get honours. she's talking about an extra degree you can do during the course which takes an extra year. =)
Reply 4
Melissa85
So here's the deal. I need your advice:

I'm a 2nd year medic in one of the top 10 UK uni's. A levels( A - Chem A - Bio A - Eng Lit , B - AS Maths, A - AS GS.) At present I'm doing an intercalated Bsc (Hons) and am wavering on 2.1/2.2. I hate my subject and now know that I don't want to be a doctor. I do, however, think if I leave this course I will regret it because one just has to look at the number of people trying to get into medicine and the cost of the course(I live in my mum's rented house which I greatly appreciate- so it's cheaper for me.) I can get through this for the greater good in other words.

Cheers all .

Work. You'll have trouble getting into law or finance (with a decent company) with a 2.2 - the medicine degree will over ride the 2.2 for pharma.

For law you'll need to do the conversion course, and for finance ACCAs or similar depending on what you want to do.

does your uni offer 'honourable discharge' if you want to exit after your intercalated year?
Reply 5
Fluffy
Work. You'll have trouble getting into law or finance (with a decent company) with a 2.2 - the medicine degree will over ride the 2.2 for pharma.

the medicine degree would override the 2.2 for finance/law too though? if you wanted to go straight into the city with a medicine degree couldn't you just not write that you intercalated?
Reply 6
Miles
the medicine degree would override the 2.2 for finance/law too though? if you wanted to go straight into the city with a medicine degree couldn't you just not write that you intercalated?

Nope - they'll ask for your medicine transcript too. You'll get in somewhere, but not magic circle...
Reply 7
Fluffy
Nope - they'll ask for your medicine transcript too. You'll get in somewhere, but not magic circle...

speaking of which i started work today. :bawling:

med school has ruined every single christmas since i started!
Reply 8
Awww :frown:

How long have you got off?
Reply 9
Fluffy
Awww :frown:

How long have you got off?

3 weeks :biggrin:

BTW - i like your avatar!
Reply 10
Thanks all for your help.

The course is a slog and I'm still in the early stages of my intercalated degree. I could theoretically leave after this degree but in my eyes the extra debt is worth it. It's more the psychological stamina that's a bigger battle but I'm coming to terms with it by trying to focus on things that I could do with my degree. People say it's selfish that I may have taken the place of someone who loved medicine but there is no point discussing the ethics of it now.

Generally you all seem to be saying that the med degree would over ride the 2.2 (if that happened) but does anyone who works in the industry know. Who can I contact to find out?Would it be possible to get a graduate placement in banking/management with my degree if I did internships a long the way? Would getting a 2.2 really be such a disadvantage - surely it's an extra degree over some one who is just getting an MB ChB - seems a bit unfair really?

I'd be more than happy to do a law conversion course after medicine but what would the chances of being employed be like?
Reply 11
If you passed you medicine degree with less than 60%, then it wouldn't over ride your intercalated.

It all depends on where you're studying. If you're somewhere where intercalation is compulsary, then the mark you get for it isn't as critical. If you're somewhere where it is, then it's not great to have a poor mark for it, as intercalation is supposed to represent your opportunity to do something that really interests you...

You have the A levels for magic circle firms, but without that 2i or above 60% in medicine, you're shooting from a fairly weak position.

And miles - you lucky git! We have our ususal 2 weeks :frown:
Reply 12
Cheers that's a lot of food for thought. The Bsc is compulsary.
Reply 13
If you have any specific questions, my next door neighbour works in finance in the City, and my boyf is a Barrister, so I can get more up to date info from them.

--------------

PS Well done for confronting this though - so many people just keep their heads down and take the crap, despite the fact that they hate medicine and then end up as bad, poorly motivated doctors. I have so much respect for people with the guts to admit that they're not happy and to do something about it.

The BMJ careers section often carries info on non-medical careers, and I think that they're now on line. They've certainly done pieces on working in the City and converting to law in the last 6 months or so..
Reply 14
As some pple have already said, ur medicine degree will override ur BSc, so I would try and slog it out. A few medics every year decide after 5/6 years, for woteva reason, that medicine just isnt for them and decide to work in the city, research etc... Doing something in law or the corprate sector with a degree in med is quite handy - my sister went to an open day for one of the magic circle firms and commented on there being quite a few medics there.

Doors aren't closed at this stage - try and find out about other careers and the best way to approach applying for them :smile:.
Melissa85
People say it's selfish that I may have taken the place of someone who loved medicine but there is no point discussing the ethics of it now.

Don't worry about them - you're paying for a service, you deserve to have the benefit of it.

Good luck with whatever you decide to go with - I know how hard it is to realise that you've gone down a road that you regret. I certainly hope that I don't end up doing for the rest of my life, the boring inanity that I've been studying for the last 4 years.

Latest

Trending

Trending