Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The Super Duper UK Public Transport Question Thread

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ok thank you ! I saved it in my favorite

3h30 Cantebury - Southampton by train sounds good ?
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom_Sg)
    Ok thank you ! I saved it in my favorite

3h30 Cantebury - Southampton by train sounds good ?
    Yeah it's probably the best you'll find using public transport, the only thing which would be quicker is car.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ok thank you !
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 01jtiong)
    what is the cheapest ticket available from edinburgh to london, cheapest was on a tv ad, £16 one way £36 return, is that the most cheapest you can get or is there others
    Train tickets from Edinburgh to Kings Cross are available from £14.50. If you use a 16-25 railcard the price is taken down to £9.55.

This cheaper ticket type is called an advance single and is generally available to buy 10-12 weeks before travel date. The conditions of this ticket is that you can only travel on the train that you have booked and if you cancel the trip the ticket is non refundable.

If you know exactly when you want to travel, can fix your time and book early it is worth hunting for these cheaper fares.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    What is an off peak return ? Can't chose my hour ? (around 14h/15h)
    There are two different routes you can go. Which route were you thinking of going? Via London?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yes via london ? What is the other ?__?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    You can either go along the high speed line (Canterbury-London St Pancras-London Victoria-Southampton) or via the slower line (Canterbury-London Waterloo-Southampton), difference is 3:16 vs 3:36).

Either way it'll cost you £56.40 return (going out Friday coming back Sunday), or £37.25 with a railcard
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've already taken the london underground but it's easy to go to London victoria from london st pancras ?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've already taken the london underground but it's easy to go to London victoria from london st pancras ?
    It's not too bad, just jump straight onto the Victoria line, it's 5 stops and takes about 10 minutes
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    S'all good thanks )
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yes via london ? What is the other ?__?
    Quote me for a reply, otherwise I don't know you've responded

Basically there are TWO routes you can travel between Canterbury and Southampton - the Any Permitted one which is valid across London and costs £56.40 - or go via Ashford or London Victoria and Barnham and costs £29.00.

Off Peak times vary, but for this particular ticket you'll be fine after 9:30 both ways.
    • 17 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for keeping to the thread guys, please encourage all other UK public transport questions to be posted in here
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A Mysterious Lord)
    Quote me for a reply, otherwise I don't know you've responded

Basically there are TWO routes you can travel between Canterbury and Southampton - the Any Permitted one which is valid across London and costs £56.40 - or go via Ashford or London Victoria and Barnham and costs £29.00.

Off Peak times vary, but for this particular ticket you'll be fine after 9:30 both ways.
    Via Ashford, where can I take this way ? ^^

Thank you for your reply !

(Original post by rockrunride)
    Thanks for keeping to the thread guys, please encourage all other UK public transport questions to be posted in here

Np !
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Via Ashford, where can I take this way ? ^^

Thank you for your reply !
    You can get the train from Canterbury West to Ashford International, get another train to Brighton from there and change at Brighton for the service to Southampton.

You could also get the train from Canterbury East to London Victoria and change there for the service to Southampton.

These two routes will be £29.00 return, just as long as you pass through Barnham. However, these routes take up to an hour longer.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The other routes involve crossing London to either Paddington or Waterloo. They are quicker but will cost £56.40 return.

Personally I'd be willing to travel on the slower service as it is half the price, but that's not for everyone.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'll take the way by London ( 37£, it's cheap)
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Anyone who lives in Hertfordshire or knows their way round- could you tell me the best way to be travelling to and from Hatfield? Quickest & cheapest option is preferable Thanks in advance
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Are you going to uni in hatfield or oxford?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KatieJL)
    Are you going to uni in hatfield or oxford?
    Going to Herts Uni, want to be travelling back to Oxford
    • 17 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Navita:))
    Going to Herts Uni, want to be travelling back to Oxford
    Best bet would probably be to head into King's Cross on First Capital Connect, across to Paddington and up to Oxford on First Great Western. Failing that you could probably get two buses to connect at Heathrow Airport.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rockrunride)
    Best bet would probably be to head into King's Cross on First Capital Connect, across to Paddington and up to Oxford on First Great Western. Failing that you could probably get two buses to connect at Heathrow Airport.
    I've researched it & found that there should be a bus that goes to Paddington from the Uni and then train it home. Just wondering if there was an easier way. Thanks for your help!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 8, 2014
New on TSR

Submitting your UCAS application

How long did it take for yours to be processed?

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.