The Student Room Group

The Super Duper UK Public Transport Question Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 220
Original post by Lehane
I've just bought an off peak return for tomorrow and noticed the leaving time is 13.02 but I wanted the 14.02 train. There's no seat reservations. Can I use my ticket for the later train?

Also I booked online and have to collect my ticket from a ticket machine. Would it be deleted if I didn't collect before 13.02?

Your ticket is valid on any train in the off peak period (which includes the 1402).

You shouldn't have a problem, but Id advise you collect it beforehand if it's practical to do so.

For future reference, the only ticket types that are tied to a train are the advance singles.
Reply 221
You know how much is it to change the hour (18:25 to 18:45) ? :s through the SWT ?
Reply 222
Original post by Tom_Sg
You know how much is it to change the hour (18:25 to 18:45) ? :s through the SWT ?

What kind of ticket it is?

If it's Anytime/Off Peak then there's no charge provided the ticket is valid for the 1845 (check on National Rail, if the ticket prices is the same as you paid for the ticket you hold then the ticket is valid).

If it's an advanced ticket if I remember rightly it's the difference in fares (if the new ticket's cost is greater than the old ticket) plus an admin fee of £10. If the new fare is the same or less than the old fare then you just pay the £10 fare. Generally in the case of advanced tickets, it's cheaper to chuck the old ticket away and start again (but double check)
Original post by Tom_Sg

In this context 'l'heure' means 'time' :p:

Depends on your ticket type: is it 'off-peak return' or 'advance'?
Reply 224
Been on trains a few times to uni open days, bought tickets usually a day before just from the station, but not really 100% on how buying them differs. Sorry if this is unclear (probably is), but I appreciate any help!

On the national rail site, are the prices shown on there for trains available to buy from the actual station;or are they only online prices?
For example, from Bristol TM to Manc Airport 3 weeks away has a lowest fare of £18.00. Could I go to the station and buy that ticket there (in advance), or does it have to be done online? (I don't actually have an online account setup).
Also, if I have a student railcard, can that be used to save a third online?
Thanks!
Original post by fnm
Been on trains a few times to uni open days, bought tickets usually a day before just from the station, but not really 100% on how buying them differs. Sorry if this is unclear (probably is), but I appreciate any help!

On the national rail site, are the prices shown on there for trains available to buy from the actual station;or are they only online prices?
For example, from Bristol TM to Manc Airport 3 weeks away has a lowest fare of £18.00. Could I go to the station and buy that ticket there (in advance), or does it have to be done online? (I don't actually have an online account setup).
Also, if I have a student railcard, can that be used to save a third online?
Thanks!

Advance tickets can be bought from the station in advance, but tbh it is easier if you do it online. First can check the available fares and trains yourself easily, and it can take a bit of time at the station (and if it is busy, the staff may prefer you to wait).
You don't need an online bank account to buy tickets, just use your debit card.
And yeah, if you have a 16-25 railcard, you can use it online.
Reply 226
Original post by WelshBluebird
Advance tickets can be bought from the station in advance, but tbh it is easier if you do it online. First can check the available fares and trains yourself easily, and it can take a bit of time at the station (and if it is busy, the staff may prefer you to wait).
You don't need an online bank account to buy tickets, just use your debit card.
And yeah, if you have a 16-25 railcard, you can use it online.

That's great, thanks. So if you get them online is it a e ticket you get or something?
Original post by fnm
That's great, thanks. So if you get them online is it a e ticket you get or something?

Nope. Well, a couple of train companies do e-tickets, but most do not.
You have the choice of either having the tickets delivered in the post, or picking them up at the station (using the ticket machine - you get a reference code that you need to enter alongside the card you use to buy the tickets).
Reply 228
I just received my 16+ oyster card in the post, does anyone know why its only valid for 1 year. I thought that it was supposed to expire on 2013, when I become 18.
Reply 229
Original post by Samira123
I just received my 16+ oyster card in the post, does anyone know why its only valid for 1 year. I thought that it was supposed to expire on 2013, when I become 18.

16+ oyster card is only given to college/ 6th form students. so after you finish your first year you have to re-apply the next year
Reply 230
Original post by rockrunride
In this context 'l'heure' means 'time' :p:

Depends on your ticket type: is it 'off-peak return' or 'advance'?

Off peak, s'all good than you ! :smile:
Original post by Tom_Sg
Off peak, s'all good than you ! :smile:

Yeah you can travel on whatever train you like then :smile:
Reply 232
Original post by rockrunride
Yeah you can travel on whatever train you like then :smile:

Merci :smile:
Reply 233
On the advert, it said Chiltern Mainline takes 1 hour and 22 minutes, but on the site, it says 1 hour and 40 minutes. I'm confused on which one is correct.
Reply 234
Original post by Rtcw
On the advert, it said Chiltern Mainline takes 1 hour and 22 minutes, but on the site, it says 1 hour and 40 minutes. I'm confused on which one is correct.

The fastest journey is 1 hour 22 minutes from London to Solihull, however some may take 1 hour 40 minutes. It's 90 minutes (fastest time) to Birmingham City Centre
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 235
If I bought a ticket of a site like first great western rail can I use a student (1/3 off) card, or can it only be used on national rail site?
Thanks
Reply 236
Original post by fnm
If I bought a ticket of a site like first great western rail can I use a student (1/3 off) card, or can it only be used on national rail site?
Thanks

Yes.
Reply 237
Another question: How many train companies that provides the rail service between Birmingham (New Street and Snow Hill) to London (Paddington, Euston and Marylebone)? Also, which is fastest and cheapest?
Reply 238
Original post by Rtcw
Another question: How many train companies that provides the rail service between Birmingham (New Street and Snow Hill) to London (Paddington, Euston and Marylebone)? Also, which is fastest and cheapest?

Virgin operate Euston-New Street
London Midland operate Euston-New Street
Chiltern Railways operat Marylebone-Snow Hill/Moor Street

No services into Paddington.

Virgin is the fastest and London Midland are the slowest (as they operate a stopping service). Chiltern have the cheapest walk up fares, but all companies offer advanced tickets.
Definitely recommend going from Marylebone to Snow Hill if you have a bit of time to spare. It's two and a quarter hours maximum while Virgin get you there in an hour and a half, but it's unrivalled for super cheap fares (from £3.95).

Quick Reply

Latest