The Student Room Group

The Super Duper UK Public Transport Question Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 300
I'm the Tansport Sec in the MHOC and I am currently working on a motion which refers DB AG's takeover of Grand Central Railways to the relevant bodies on the grounds that DB AG owns a lot in the Rail market.

Who is the relevant body???
The grounds on which to make the referral???
I have read this:
http://www.rail-reg.gov.uk/server/show/nav.2138#rel
http://www.rail-reg.gov.uk/upload/pdf/247.pdf
(I don't understand this)

Draft Motion

This House believes that the acquisition of Grand Central Railways by Arriva who are owned by Deutsche Bahn AG is unlawful under the Competition Act 1998. As such, we refer the case of the acquisition of Grand Central Railways by Arriva to the Office of Rail Regulation to investigate this matter under the Railways Act 1993.
DB don't own that much though.
Arriva Trains Wales
CrossCountry
Chiltern
A 50% share in London Overground
And now GC.

Indeed First own (or have a majority share in) the same number of ToCs.
First Great Western
First Hull Trains
First Capital Connect
First TransPennine Express
First Scotrail

So are you against First owning those too?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 302
Original post by WelshBluebird
DB don't own that much though.
Arriva Trains Wales
CrossCountry
Chiltern
And now GC.

Indeed First own more UK ToC's than DB.
First Great Western
First Hull Trains
First Capital Connect
First TransPennine Express
First Scotrail

So are you against First owning those too?

DB also owns DB Schenker and partially owns London Overground.

I am asking about the technical side.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Morgsie
DB also owns DB Schenker and partially owns London Overground

Yep just realised that in terms of London Overground. It stills brings it to the same number as First though.
And DB Schenker is a freight company and has nothing at all to do with the passenger side of things.
Reply 304
Original post by WelshBluebird
Yep just realised that in terms of London Overground. It stills brings it to the same number as First though.
And DB Schenker is a freight company and has nothing at all to do with the passenger side of things.

I am asking about the legal side, I don't understand Rail Competition Law.
Reply 305
Original post by Morgsie
I am asking about the legal side, I don't understand Rail Competition Law.

Given that rail is franchised rather than privatized outright and that fare increases overall are limited to RPI+3% twice per year, i do not see why it would be objectionable for a single company to hold a large number of contracts.

Competition law mainly exists to prevent monopolies within the free market as a company may then charge what it wants, in our current rail system there are measures in place to prevent this.

You could make the argument that they may run a lower quality service however they would likely lose their franchise if they did so the next time it is bid for.

Not really sure on some of the information you want however the system is certainly complex.

FYI: I have asked to become Shadow Transport so i look forward to our future debates if i do.
Hi,

I've got to go to London for an assessment centre (summer internship) and, well, I have never been to London before :rolleyes:

I'll be arriving at Luton Airport on Thursday 8 December in the evening and I need to get to Custom House Hotel near Royal Victoria Dock. I thought I'd just take the shuttle to get to the city centre (Luton), then take a train to either King's Cross or St Pancras and take the tube. If what I found out is correct: I have got to take the Northern route from Euston, get off at London Bridge, then take the Jubilee line to Canning Town and then the DLR on to Custom House for ExCel. Could someone please confirm whether this is the best option (or if I am indeed correct)?

In addition, I would need to go from Custom House Hotel to Canary Wharf (more specifically Canada Square), probably using the DLR line, I guess. Then, I'll have to leave from Canary Wharf on the day after and go back to Luton Airport.

In addition to my first question, does anyone have any idea how much time the whole thing (from Canary Wharf to Luton Airport would take me since I would have about 3 hours in order to get back to the airport) would take? Do you know whether I've got to book anything in advance?

Many thanks and sorry for pestering you, I'm a foreigner after all :wink:
(edited 12 years ago)
Use TfL for all your transport needs.
From Luton Airport Parkway take East Midlands Trains to London St Pancras. This takes about 20-25 minutes and doesn't stop. You can also get the First Capital Connect train to St Pancras, which does stop and take a little bit longer.

Once you're at St Pancras, take the northern line to London Bridge. Then get the Jubilee to Canning Town, then the DLR as you've said. Alternatively, you can get off the northern line at Bank and take the DLR from there, you might have to change at Shadwell for your destination, it will depend on which train you take. Alternatively, if you do end up on a First Capital Connect train which is going to Brighton as the final destination you can stay on this train to London Bridge. Then take the Jubilee line as I said before.

On the way back to Luton, just get the Jubilee line to London Bridge then the Northern to Kings Cross/St Pancras. You then need to spend 5-10 minutes walking out of the tube and through the train station to reach the Luton departures part of St Pancras.

For the tube, make sure you buy an Oyster card (they sell them for a normal price on Easy Jet planes I think, you pay £3 for the card then have to put some credit on it) or you can also get one from St Pancras when you arrive. Alternatively, buy a travel card each day (it costs about £6 unless you're going at peak times when its about £8 I think) as it'll save you a lot of money as a single trip is around £4. You need one for zones 1-3 for your hotel.
Original post by oxymoronic

Thanks for all the useful information!
Hi guys. I have a job interview in canary wharf on wednesday morning. I have to get off at woolwich arsenal station at 6.42am and then it says at 6.42am go to canary wharf. Now i think i would be right in asusming that 0 minutes is cutting it fine to find the dlr station etc.

How hard is it going to be to find where the dlr station is and also how regular are the trains. I get off in woolwich arsneal at 6.42 and must be at canary wharf between 7.45

please help :smile:

thanks!

Spoiler

(edited 12 years ago)
Woolwich arsenal station is about a 35 second run away from the DLR station. About over a minute walking.

Personally I don't think you can make it.

Where are you coming from London Bridge or??

Is there no earlier trains?
Original post by TheCurlyHairedDude
Woolwich arsenal station is about a 35 second run away from the DLR station. About over a minute walking.

Personally I don't think you can make it.

Where are you coming from London Bridge or??

Is there no earlier trains?

im coming from faversham in kent, getting of at woolwich arsenal and then getting the dlr to canary wharf :/
Original post by jermaindefoe
im coming from faversham in kent, getting of at woolwich arsenal and then getting the dlr to canary wharf :/

Faversham Kent. Sound like the train before the 6.42 am doesn't even exist.

TBH, you'll be waiting about 30 mins for another DLR at that time in the morning. My suggestion is to ring whoever your meeting and explain.
see pic
(edited 12 years ago)
Why do we need to see it. That's for you bud lol
Reply 316
Well the TFL site shows you what you need to know - The first DLR you can get goes at 6.49 (You'll have more than enough time to cross to the DLR platforms to catch that train).

Does your train stop at Greenwich? It's just that you can get the DLR directly from there to Canary Wharf without changing on to the tube and the DLR platforms at Greenwich are impossible to miss. Plus there are several DLR stops around the area which might take you closer than the tube station.

If anything, you've probably got too much time. Canary Wharf is a compact and very pedestrian friendly area and you really wouldn't need 40 minutes to get from the station to wherever it is you're going to. You can get from the stations to anywhere on the main block in 10 minutes max.
I live near Woolwich Arsenal Station... !
Original post by inkblot
Well the TFL site shows you what you need to know - The first DLR you can get goes at 6.49 (You'll have more than enough time to cross to the DLR platforms to catch that train).

Does your train stop at Greenwich? It's just that you can get the DLR directly from there to Canary Wharf without changing on to the tube and the DLR platforms at Greenwich are impossible to miss. Plus there are several DLR stops around the area which might take you closer than the tube station.

If anything, you've probably got too much time. Canary Wharf is a compact and very pedestrian friendly area and you really wouldn't need 40 minutes to get from the station to wherever it is you're going to. You can get from the stations to anywhere on the main block in 10 minutes max.

think im going to get the 05.49 train from faversham to victoria now which gets me there for 7.10 then go from there to westminster (district and circle) and then from there jubilee to canary wharf

should just about make it?

Quick Reply

Latest