The Student Room Group

The Super Duper UK Public Transport Question Thread

Scroll to see replies

Victoria line runs right between the two. Could have just looked at a tube map reeeally.
Very easy-no changes! :biggrin:

Victoria line towards Brixton. It passes ~Warren Street, Oxford Circus and Green Park, then you arrive at Victoria. It is all really obvious once your on the right line :smile:

Good luck xD
You take the victoria line going towards brixton, and it takes about 10 minutes :smile:
Original post by xbutterflyx
Hi, I am just wondering if it is easy to get from London Euston to London Victoria? I have never been on the tube in London, thanks!

It's very easy - when you come off the train, you will see big signs to London Underground. Follow those and when you get down into the tube station, you will see maps everywhere.

Here are lots of tube maps on the excellent TFL website for you to look at before you make your journey.
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/14091.aspx

It's 4 stops on the Victoria line. When you get into the train, there are announcements for each station and maps on the sides of the train cabin, above the seats.

It's a good idea to get an Oyster Card if you can because fares are cheaper if you use one.

I assume you are quite young? It's so exciting coming to London - enjoy your first visit and relax, travelling by tube is quite good fun!

Emma
Reply 84
As a Northerner who has only been on the Tube a few times, I find it remarkably easy to use. You don't really need to plan any journeys, you just go down a big escalator and follow some obvious signs.
Thanks everyone! I just heard it was busy and people rushing, so didn't want to end up getting lost! But seems pretty straightforward
Thanks everyone! I just heard it was busy and people rushing, so didn't want to end up getting lost! But seems pretty straightforward

You're welcome! It can be quite busy, especially at peak times in the morning and evening rush, but stay calm, don't let other people's hurry fluster you - check that you are entering the Victoria Line and make sure you get on a Southbound train at Euston. Then you will be fine.
Reply 87
You cannot get lost in the London underground.

Yeah if your traveling during the morning or evening rush then yes it can get busy- make sure you have your ticket ready before you get to the ticket barrier.
Original post by Dekota-XS
You cannot get lost in the London underground.

That said, a friend and i recently came across a man from another country travelling on the Northern Line, obviously on his first visit to both the UK and London. It was late evening and he was heading north towards Euston. He told us in halting English that he was searching for "Victria" (sic) and had been travelling for five hours on different trains. Tears were flowing down his face as he told us his tale of being rudely ignored by Londonders he asked for directions (believable) and being pointed in the wrong direction by Tube staff (less believable - he probably just misunderstood).
Original post by thefish_uk
You won't get cheaper tickets than the ones on the National Rail website. National Rail actually allows you to search all train operators at once and then directs you to the relevant company's website to actually buy the ticket. Don't get fooled by thetrainline.com - for one-off tickets they're pointless as they charge a booking fee.

I actually disagree with this - for the long-distance trains I get most often, East Coast Main Line, the cheapest advance fares are exclusively on the East Coast website - they are classified as 'East Coast Advance' as opposed to standard Advance, and are normally at least £20-30 cheaper than the standard advance fare.
Original post by emmanottinghil
Do you have Oyster? I assume you're coming back lightly loaded, so just get an oyster card when you arrive at Victoria and then use the DLR and tube back. If not, put enough credit on it for the trip from LCA to LV. TFL website will tell you the exact amount you need for the journey - i can't remember how much it will be off the top of my head as i have a travelcard on mine, but it won't be much - a few quid.

I do not have Oyster, only a 16-25 railcard. How do i get one? On the website it says about £1.80 for a journey.
Original post by Silver Arrow
I do not have Oyster, only a 16-25 railcard. How do i get one? On the website it says about £1.80 for a journey.

As i mentioned, the easiest way is to use the TFL website link i gave you and order one online. If you don't have time, just get one at the Underground ticket office when you arrive and put the small amount of credit on it that you need for your journey, unless you are going to do more journeys, in which case put more on.
Original post by emmanottinghil
As i mentioned, the easiest way is to use the TFL website link i gave you and order one online. If you don't have time, just get one at the Underground ticket office when you arrive and put the small amount of credit on it that you need for your journey, unless you are going to do more journeys, in which case put more on.

Ok will it cost money to order the actual card itself and how many journeys from LCA To LV? How much money should i put on the card and which is the station near Victoria coach station?
Original post by Silver Arrow
Ok will it cost money to order the actual card itself and how many journeys from LCA To LV? How much money should i put on the card and which is the station near Victoria coach station?

I don't think it costs money to order the card, but you are charged a £5 deposit when you get one - whether you get one online or at a ticket office. This is refundable if you ever hand your card in, though tbh it's worth keeping! Also any unused credit on there you can get back if you hand back your card. I think a single zone 1 journey is about £1.90 these days, yours will be a bit more as it's different zones and I believe DLR journeys are billed seperately make sure to swipe in and out every time, DLR stations do not always have barriers just things to swipe against and if you don't you'll be charged a penalty fare! You can check on the TFL website about the journey cost. Probably a minimum top-up these days, too.
Hello,

I am booking train tickets from Maidenhead to Bodmin Parkway for my Silver DofE expedition. There will be four people in my party - 3 people over 16 (Adults) and 1 person under 16 (a child). I have spent a fair bit of time looking at http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/ and I believe the cheapest option will be to buy single tickets for both the return and outward journeys. In order to get the tickets even cheaper I want to use a Railcard in conjunction with these tickets.

I have a question about using a Family and Friends Railcard http://www.familyandfriends-railcard.co.uk/

On the website it states the following eligibility criteria:

"up to four adults and four kids can travel on one Railcard"

"they don't need to be related"

"You are eligible if you have one child 5 - 15 years old and they travel with you"

We are a group of teenagers and so we obviously don't have any children and parents in the group. We do however have a child and three adults. I think this means we are allowed to use a Family and Friends Railcard.

Has anyone tried doing something similar to this ? I am wondering whether it is necessary for the parent of the child to travel with the group because although it doesn't seem in the spirit of the railcard I think even as a group of teenagers we may be eligible.

If we aren't it doesn't matter as we can buy 16-25 Railcards but these are a fairly pricey alternative (though still cheaper than paying normal prices)
Original post by GeekyNick
Hello,

I am booking train tickets from Maidenhead to Bodmin Parkway for my Silver DofE expedition. There will be four people in my party - 3 people over 16 (Adults) and 1 person under 16 (a child). I have spent a fair bit of time looking at http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/ and I believe the cheapest option will be to buy single tickets for both the return and outward journeys. In order to get the tickets even cheaper I want to use a Railcard in conjunction with these tickets.

I have a question about using a Family and Friends Railcard http://www.familyandfriends-railcard.co.uk/

On the website it states the following eligibility criteria:

"up to four adults and four kids can travel on one Railcard"

"they don't need to be related"

"You are eligible if you have one child 5 - 15 years old and they travel with you"

We are a group of teenagers and so we obviously don't have any children and parents in the group. We do however have a child and three adults. I think this means we are allowed to use a Family and Friends Railcard.

Has anyone tried doing something similar to this ? I am wondering whether it is necessary for the parent of the child to travel with the group because although it doesn't seem in the spirit of the railcard I think even as a group of teenagers we may be eligible.

If we aren't it doesn't matter as we can buy 16-25 Railcards but these are a fairly pricey alternative (though still cheaper than paying normal prices)

You should be fine with the FF railcard :smile:
Original post by rockrunride
You should be fine with the FF railcard :smile:

Thanks for confirming that. I didn't want to announce my big plan to the group only to realise later it wouldn't work !
Reply 98
They added 'And Friends' to the name of the railcard in 2008 to solve this confusion :smile:
Reply 99
Hi,

I'm actually asking on behalf of my friend who's visiting from America, and unfortunately I'm clueless as to how Oyster cards/travel cards work in London.

She's coming for 6 days, and I've heard that a normal pay-as-you-go Oyster card is better value than a visitor card, is this true?

I also assumed you'd then put a 7-day travel card on the oyster card, but that comes up as over £50 on the website, whereas daily price caps for Oyster at peak seem really cheap.

I would REALLY appreciate some advice as to what to tell my friend to do when she gets here!

Quick Reply

Latest