The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Entry Requirements for Medicine at GCSE

So what kinds of grades are really required for Medicine at Sheffield? I mean I read the minimum but I want to know what really is needed. Are these good enough?

Biology: A
Chemistry: A*
Physics: A*
English Lang: A
English Lit: Probably gonna be a B maybe a A
Maths: B (Really worried about this one)
History: A*
ICT: Distinction
Music Tech: Pass
COPE: Pass
Adult Numeracy & Literacy: Pass
Statistics: B

So is it good enough? Or will Maths let me down?
I'm hoping for some actual med students from Sheffield to answer.
Thanks in advance.
Ma
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Original post by Limesasquatch
Ma

ma??????
Reply 3
at gcse you probably need something like 3 A* or more but i guess you could get in if you just have all A's and A*'s. however if you look on most university sites they only require something like at least a B or A in english, maths and science but more emphasis is put on AS level and A2 level
Original post by mzfemalecupid
ma??????

i f***ing internet on my phone wouldnt let me time anything d*mmit!

but anyway, maths at a B is minimum, but at many uni's its an A in maths and english as an entry requirement, or just one, but some none.

its good that you have english at an A because thats often an entry requirement too.
Reply 5
Original post by Limesasquatch
i f***ing internet on my phone wouldnt let me time anything d*mmit!

but anyway, maths at a B is minimum, but at many uni's its an A in maths and english as an entry requirement, or just one, but some none.

its good that you have english at an A because thats often an entry requirement too.

Actually I'm asking about Sheffield Uni: it is one of the best in the UK and it only requires a A minimum of a C in Maths but I still don't know if a B is good enough in reality.
Reply 6
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_GCSE_Requirements

So yes, those grades are fine and won't stop you from applying, just bear in mind that some applicants will have substantially better GCSEs than that. And Sheffield in particular is crazy about the UKCAT, so make sure you do really well in that too.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by shadows987
Actually I'm asking about Sheffield Uni: it is one of the best in the UK and it only requires a A minimum of a C in Maths but I still don't know if a B is good enough in reality.

oh sorry, i didn't see.

It doesn't matter if it is one of the best in the country. It will teach you the same things and get you the same job as any other uni. Sheffield is very UKCAT and Personal Statement orientated (at the moment anyway, i dont know if it will be in 2/3 years time though). So if its above what they want, then you should concentrate on the numerous other aspects, such as volunteering. If you start now you'll have more to write about in your PS

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending