Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Cyclist knocked off my cars door! Do i need to hire a solicitor ???!

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 17 followers

ReputationRep:
    Its clearly your dad's fault, he was the one that opened the door without checking properly. Its the same as if you drive out of junction without looking and smack into someone.

I'm sure the insurance would cover it though. Your dad should report it to his insurance company ASAP - he won't lose his NCB for this (only if the guy makes a claim), but if he doesn't report it 1) it would look bad and 2) might create a risk that the insurance company won't pay.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, at the scene one of the witness was a police officer who was off duty and he did say that the door was only tiny bit open therefore a minor bruise..had it been open fully the would have got some air and maybe broken neck or something. Obviously I'm gonna say it shouldn't be my dad fault as the road was pretty wide and he had a lot of space so AFTER seeing someone parked the car and USUALLY after someone parks their car they come out of it ? the cyclist should have bared that in mind before coming too close but anyways but i don't see this being a big issue.
    I'm just hoping hes not one of them people who try to sue others even if it was just a scratch like i heard this man talking today at the bus stop going how a car got so close to him n he panicked and fell off..he was like instead he should have hit him then he could get some money out of the claim -_- stupid fuc****
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jacketpotato)
    Its clearly your dad's fault, he was the one that opened the door without checking properly. Its the same as if you drive out of junction without looking and smack into someone.

I'm sure the insurance would cover it though. Your dad should report it to his insurance company ASAP - he won't lose his NCB for this (only if the guy makes a claim), but if he doesn't report it 1) it would look bad and 2) might create a risk that the insurance company won't pay.
    My dad sent an email to the insurer explaining the situation and asking them what to do next. Funny thing is the guy who got knocked over doesn't have my dads insurance details..just our contact details and my dad doesn't have ANY details of the guy ( police have both of our details and they were less than helpful when we rang them to get the third party details today) ..so now looks like until he makes a claim we wont know anything.

Seems like there's gonna be a long waiting game..
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    One of my friends was cycling in the road and a car pulled out in front of him and he collided with it. Despite only having relatively minor injuries he still got a pretty big settlement (a few thousand pounds I believe).
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    This is what makes me feel sick about today's society; in an ideal world there would be an apology and everyone would be on their way.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    he did say that the door was only tiny bit open
    the road was pretty wide and he had a lot of space so AFTER seeing someone parked the car and USUALLY after someone parks their car they come out of it ? the cyclist should have bared that in mind before coming too close
    When im cycling I will move out into the middle of the road so that a person can get out of there car without waiting for me to go past, aslong as its not a busy road ect.

by opening the door and focing him to either move or get hit it is your fathers fault, just accept that. It's a similar situation to pulling out infront of someone, if they hit you because you pulled out infront of them it is your fault. Even if they could have slowed down slightly to give you room to pull out.

Just realise that your father is in the wrong and hope that the person does not try to claim
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    "Cyclist knocked off my cars door! Do i need to hire a solicitor ???!"

I think you meant 'cyclist knocked off by my car's door!'

The difference grammar can make...
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    :facepalm:

Idiot driver clearly didn't look before opening the door, what a bellend, if he'd done that to be I'd have knocked him out where he stood.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imperial maniac)
    :facepalm:

Idiot driver clearly didn't look before opening the door, what a bellend, if he'd done that to be I'd have knocked him out where he stood.
    Stupid Chav,,even i could beat the **** out of u ..let alone my dad haha

GTFO my thread!
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bibekpd)
    Stupid Chav,,even i could beat the **** out of u ..let alone my dad haha

GTFO my thread!
    1. I'm not a chav, note my ability to write.

2. No you couldn't.

3. The point stands, it's entirely the driver's fault, your dad deserves to be sued for being such a ****tard. Either that or he needs to go to an opticians.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    But then you could also argue saying the cyclist had seen my dad park the car and shouldn't have come too close to it as people come out of their car after parking it but i guess as the car is a bigger vehicle it is to blame
    That's irrelevant. He has the right of way and it's your dad's job to make sure there's nobody approaching when he opens the door.

With your logic, when you're driving (a car - same rules about the right of way apply to bikes and cars on the road) and see someone park a car you'd need to stop behind them to let them get out. Imagine what a hassle that would be, blocking the whole road for a minute to let people out of their cars.
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    LOL he dint knock off the door he knocked onto it and fell off and there was no damage at all to the bicycle or my cars door... just the cyclist had a bruise which is not a major damage. But still they called ambulance and police so i have a bad feeling hes gonna claim for cracked ribs or something.
    The way you where talking before it sounded like the door had actually been knocked off.
    Well if there is no damage to the car or the bicycle, then you dont need to do anything. You dont need to claim as there is no damage to claim for. It sounds like you have got away lightly.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Wrong post message. Sorry.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    LOL he dint knock off the door he knocked onto it and fell off and there was no damage at all to the bicycle or my cars door... just the cyclist had a bruise which is not a major damage. But still they called ambulance and police so i have a bad feeling hes gonna claim for cracked ribs or something.
    Surely you understand how I would assume that the cyclist knocked off your car's door considering the thread title is 'Cyclist knocked off my cars door'

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 14, 2011
New on TSR

Personal statement help

Use our clever tool to create a PS you're proud of.

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.