The Student Room Group

AQA Mathematics Module 5 Paper 2H (Calc) Unofficial Answers (10/06/2011)

Find paper 1H (non-calc) unofficial mark scheme here.

OK, crack on with question numbers, questions and answers - I'll try to keep up with editing the right answers to each question in here.

Even if you don't know the answer - a question (with number preferably) is great too, then I or someone else can answer it.

GO!

Question 01 - Given a square running through the centre points of a collection of identical circles arranged in a square (six circles per side), and the perimeter of square as 60:

Q: Calculate the radius of each circle.
A: 2.5

Question 15 - Given that: (5x + 9)/(6x^2 - 7x - 3) = 2/5

a)
Q: Show that a solution for x is -1.
A: Substitute x for -1, run through the calculation to end up with 2/5 as the answer.

b)
Q: Show that it can be shown as written as 4x^2 - 13x - 17=0
A: Multiply, rearrange, factorise, generally mess with until you end up with == 4x^2 - 13x - 17 = 0 (See method here.)

c)
Q: Solve the equation 4x^2 - 13x - 17
A: x1 = 4.25; x2 = -1

Question ? - Area of triangle

Q: Given sides of 7 and 10, with an angle of 53deg between, find the area. Give answer to appropriate accuracy.
A: 28

Question ? - Area of an isosceles (triangular) prism

Q: Given a triangular prism of base 6, height 4, and length 20 - find the area of the prism.
A: 240

Question ? - Sequences

Q: Given 8n - 52, for how many terms will the answer be less than 0?
A: 6

Question ? - Trial and improvement

Q: Given x^3 + 6x, use trial and improvement to gain an answer for x accurate to one decimal place.
A: 2.4

Question ? - Functions of sine; a sine graph is given

a)
Q: Draw y=3sin(x)
A: Start at (0,0), curve up to (90,3), back down to (180,0), keep curving to (270,-3), and back up to (360,0) - this is a stretch parallel to the y axis by a scale factor of 3.

b)
Q: Draw y=sin(x)+2
A: Start at (0,2), curve up to (90,3), back down to (180,2), keep curving to (270,1), and back up to (360,0) - this is a translation parallel to the y axis moving by 2 units 'upward'.

Question ? - Pi multiplied by these lengths tick box ("Is it Volume, Area, or Length?") Given a; b; c as lengths, and pi as a constant.

a)
Q: pi x a x b x c
A: Volume

b)
Q: pi(a + b)
A: Length

c)
Q: pi + a + b
A: Length

Question ? - Cosine values, and x values from cosine; given cos(60) = 0.5 and a cosine graph

a)
Q: Find another value of x where cos(x) = 0.5
A: 300

b)
Q: Find a value of x where cos(x) = -0.5
A: 120, or 240

^part b may have been the reverse, I don't remember! Answer was either -0.5 or 120, where the other was given.

Question ? - Trapezium

a)
Q: Given an area of 30, find possible values of a, b, and h
A: Anything where (a+b)/2 * h = 30. Huge range of possible answers, be nice on yourself with something like: 1, 2, 20 or 2, 3, 12 or 15, 15, 2.

b)
Q: Rearrange the given formula of a trapezium so that b is the subject
A: b = -a + 2A/h (See method here.)

Question ? - Solve for x

Q: Given (1/3)x - 4 = 1/2, work out the value of x.
A: 13.5 (See method here.)

Question ? - Triangles formed in circle from two tangents and radii.

Q: Find the value of the angle between the two radii formed from the two tangents (the smaller side).
A: 132deg

Question ? - Exterior angles in pentagon

Q: Given a regular pentagon, find the value of the exterior angle
A: 72deg

Question ? - Inequalities with graph

a)
Q: Draw the line y=3x-1 for -4<x<4.
A: Line should go from (-4,-13), through (0,-1) and up to (4,11)

b)
Q: Shade the region satisfied by the inequality y <= 3x - 1
A: Leaving a solid line, shade the region beneath the line drawn in part a.

Question [LAST] - Square and rectangle with algebraic sides; equal area

Q: Given a square with side length 3y - 2x and a rectangle with sides 2x and 3y + 2x, show that y is a multiple of x.
A: Reduce calculations to y = 2x (See method here.)
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
i'll try to state the quesitons i remember but im not sure what number they are.

Triangle question- find the area

Base-10?cm left side- 7cm angle of 53 degrees

half(7X10)sin53= 27.( something) which is rounded to 28

Triangular prism question

perpendicular H=4 Base= 6 Long section= 20

Volume= half(4X6) X20
=240

Perpendicular line equation= y=-3x+4

Graph- Shaded the region under the line and also just plot the points to draw the straight line

First question was the sqaure= 60cm^2 area Find the radius of the circles inside
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2
1st question was 2.5cm i think
Reply 3
Yeh it was a square's perimeter is 60cm. So each side was 15cm. In each side was 6 radius's so 15/6=2.5cm radius
Reply 4
Sequence Question. For how many terms is the output of the sequence 8n-52 negative?
8n would have to be less than 52 so n less than 6.5. Therefore 1,2,3,4,5,6 - 6
I got the radius one. Can some one explain the one which had the pi and then the three lengths and you had to decide if it was a length, cubic volume or square volume. I didn't know. I think I got about 107/140 if I don't get method marks. I just felt my a* slip away and I want to cry.
Reply 6
Original post by acceptingme
I got the radius one. Can some one explain the one which had the pi and then the three lengths and you had to decide if it was a length, cubic volume or square volume. I didn't know. I think I got about 107/140 if I don't get method marks. I just felt my a* slip away and I want to cry.

The first one was a volume because it was three lengths multiplied together, the other two were lengths because they were lengths added together,
Original post by RedUnited
The first one was a volume because it was three lengths multiplied together, the other two were lengths because they were lengths added together,

I got 2/3 there then. Ok I defo didn't do aswell as I thought I would. I just want to forget about it now. Hopefully on results day I get an A*. If not I'll just cry. I was really hoping on that A*.
Reply 8
Given graph y=sin x. Draw graph y=3 sin x. Just multiply all y co-ordinates by 3. Draw graph y=2+sin x, just shift the graph up 2 on the y axis.
Reply 9

Nope, the middle one was area.

pi(3+4)

say, I can't remember the actual numbers, but as it was in brackets pi multiplies by both lengths. Two multiplications, thus area.
Reply 10
Question 15b I think
was show that (5x+9) / (6x^2-7x-3)=2/5 can be displayed as 4x^2-13X-17=0

so multiply out the fraction:
5x+9 = 2/5(6x^2-7x-3)
the times by 5
25x + 45 = 2 (6x^2-7x-3)
then multpily out bracket
25x + 45 = 12x^2-14x-6
then minus the 25x and 45 from left side to get:
12x^2 - 39x - 51 =0
and divide by three to get answer:
4x^2 - 13x -17 =0

that was quite a lot of working for only 2 marks! :smile:
Reply 11

last year the grade boundary for an a* for 107/140 - so you could still get it :smile:
Reply 12
Sequence Question. For how many terms is the output of the sequence 8n-52 negative?
8n would have to be less than 52 so n less than 6.5. Therefore 1,2,3,4,5,6 - 6

I got that tooo:smile:
Reply 13
Q15 c was find out all the solutions for this equation!
i used the formula, and one of them one x=-1 so fitted with the question, but can't remember what the other one was but there were two answers! :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by FO12DY
Nope, the middle one was area.

pi(3+4)

say, I can't remember the actual numbers, but as it was in brackets pi multiplies by both lengths. Two multiplications, thus area.

Wouldn't that still be length because it would be l x pi + some other l x pi, which is just two lengths added together.
I put volume, area and length. But I have no idea. I really think I failed that paper. Hope the grade boundaries are low :'(
Reply 16
I put volume, area and length. But I have no idea. I really think I failed that paper. Hope the grade boundaries are low :'(

Well, you got that question right at least!
Reply 17
question 15c was 4.25 and -1 think.

You had to factorise to get 4x-17=0 and x+1=0 , which left x as 4.25 (17/4) and -1
Original post by FO12DY
Well, you got that question right at least!

It's just upsetting because I know I made some stupid mistakes. I'm either gunna get a high A or a low A*. I'm banking on boundaries being low. I probably lots 35 all together between paper 1 and paper 2 in module 5 but I got high a* in the other two modules. I hope I get a nice examiner and he gives me some method marks.
Reply 19
Given cos 0.5= 60 degrees. Find another angles with a cos of 0.5 between 180 degrees and 360 degrees. Answer 360-60=300 degrees.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending