The Student Room Group

How Long Do They Affect You For ?

Hi,

Every time we get reports we get a target grade which was decided by our CATS and MIDYIS scores in which we did in the first term of year 7. :redface:

My question is do they just affect you until the end of year 9 or do they go on and affect you for GCSE's too :eek:

Mainly because I didnt do that well and I got one of the highest results in the year but they put me into second set apparently due to that. :mad:

Also, what exactly are they used for because I am already working well above my terget levels and am only in year 8. :frown:

Thanks in advance for any help :wink:
Reply 1
i dont know it depends on the school
my school did my GCSE targets based on year 9 sats - but then decided that it would make more "sense" to revise them and base them on my year 6 sats so all my grades went down
Reply 2
Another question I meant to ask was :

Are they just targets or do they help decide the tiers you will be put in in year 9 and GCSE or do your teachers decide that on what level you are on and your classwork ?

Thanks for any help in advance
Usually they only affect you until your teachers have something else to go on. In other words, your KS2 targets were based on your KS1 SATs because they were the only set of exams you'd done. Your KS3 kargets are based on your KS2 SATs and the CATs. Then, in most schools, your GCSE targets will be based on your KS3 SATs, so if you do really well in those, you should have high targets for GCSEs even though you didn't do that well in the CATs. Changes to sets usually happen at the beginning of each academic year, so you might be moved up for Year 9. Which tier paper you sit at GCSE isn't decided until halfway through Year 11 and will be based on mock and predicted grades as well as the work you've been doing in class since the beginning of Year 10.

Seriously though, you really don't need to be stressing about things like this. KS3 means nothing. You do the SATs, you get the results and within a few weeks, everyone's completely forgotten about them. Only GCSEs and above actually count. Years 7-9 are for enjoying yourself- if you're worrying this much now, I'd hate to see what you'll be like when it comes to GCSEs and A-levels!!
Reply 4
Do you just do the CATS and MidYIS once in year 7 or do you do another test later on through the years ?
Reply 5
I remember doing them but they didn't seem to affect anything. We weren't placed in sets until year 10, which is probably why. I guess they affect your predicted SAT’s levels but really, SAT’s do not account to anything so don't stress over them. We got our predicted GCSE grades from year 10 exams and year 11 mocks, our SAT results weren't used at all. I presume this varies from school to school though. Predicted GCSE grades don't mean much either really, unless you're planning on applying somewhere very prestigious for sixth form most places don't ask for anything more than 5 A*-C's and B's in the subjects you want to do at AS- if you took them at GCSE. The only time predicted grades bear a huge significance are for university applications.

Do not worry. Keep working at your own pace doing the best you can without going over board. An awful lot happens between year 8 and year 11, so make the most of doing almost nothing while you can.
Reply 6
isnt the cats etc juts used as a stastical record for the overnment to see how, we as a country are doing???
Reply 7
As you go higher up the school you'll take more exams and the older ones will be considered less of an indication. Obviously it varies from school to school but if you're doing consistently well then no sane teacher will hold you back just because of one test you did
Reply 8
well to be honest i did quite badly on my CATs test in yr 7 and was predicted grades C/D at GCSE from them even though i got straight 5s in my yr 6 SATs! What a load of rubbish! then from my year 9 exams and SATs etc i got predicted As!!! because i got level 7,7,8 (maths) and from the YELLIS test we did in yr 10 i got predicted A/A*s which goes to show that they don't really mean much... the important thing is that u try ur best in exams n stuff n ull be fine
Reply 9
kellywood_5
Usually they only affect you until your teachers have something else to go on. In other words, your KS2 targets were based on your KS1 SATs because they were the only set of exams you'd done. Your KS3 kargets are based on your KS2 SATs and the CATs. Then, in most schools, your GCSE targets will be based on your KS3 SATs, so if you do really well in those, you should have high targets for GCSEs even though you didn't do that well in the CATs. Changes to sets usually happen at the beginning of each academic year, so you might be moved up for Year 9. Which tier paper you sit at GCSE isn't decided until halfway through Year 11 and will be based on mock and predicted grades as well as the work you've been doing in class since the beginning of Year 10.

Seriously though, you really don't need to be stressing about things like this. KS3 means nothing. You do the SATs, you get the results and within a few weeks, everyone's completely forgotten about them. Only GCSEs and above actually count. Years 7-9 are for enjoying yourself- if you're worrying this much now, I'd hate to see what you'll be like when it comes to GCSEs and A-levels!!

Couldn't have put it better myself. These things may determine your set at the beginning of Year 10, but it's really not necessary to get so worried over them.

Latest

Trending

Trending