The Student Room Group

Most versatile degree?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by logic123
and i started my sentence with ''Neuroscience at UCL'' - or can you not read?

Haha, that's when I realised you must not have read the first question. You're doing a specific part of medicine how can you argue that's the MOST versatile degree? Engineering is definitely
I agree with your thoughts.But nursing degree is also best for your future.The career of nursing allows you to select your own personal specialty.You can choose to work in lots of the many nursing fields.Nursing career can also offer opportunities for leadership.
Reply 122
after looking through many job requirements etc. I can say that engineer, maths and physics are definitely the most versatile degree.

electrical and civil engineering especially

I am regretting now I didn't chose any of them lol
psychology?
Reply 124
Original post by scrawlx101
psychology?

No.

If psychology was so versatile then psych graduates wouldn't be facing the bleak employment prospects that they are. In the UK 45% will not be in a professional job six months after graduating. (They do even worse in the US) That doesn't shout "versatility" to me.

http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/news/uk_news/Education/article1609459.ece?shareToken=c549b0eefc311d448a2d22e4b16ef29c
Original post by Howard
No.

If psychology was so versatile then psych graduates wouldn't be facing the bleak employment prospects that they are. In the UK 45% will not be in a professional job six months after graduating. (They do even worse in the US) That doesn't shout "versatility" to me.

http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/news/uk_news/Education/article1609459.ece?shareToken=c549b0eefc311d448a2d22e4b16ef29c

Psychology has so many candidates it is very ridiculous, I think when the psychology students went home for the week at my university half of the campus left.
Reply 126
Original post by whorace
Psychology has so many candidates it is very ridiculous, I think when the psychology students went home for the week at my university half of the campus left.

It sure is a very popular degree.
engineering and computing.
Reply 128
Original post by bluesky42
Physics and Philosophy!

"Combining the most fundamental of the arts and sciences"

Philosophy? Hahahahaha! Sorry, but no. I wish. Most employers don't actually know what it is.
I graduated 3 years ago and have never earned more than £6.80. The vast majority of my fellow students have had to branch out into something else to get anywhere. Those who have done a Masters are still unemployed. Your best bet is teaching or low legal work from what I have seen. :frown:
I'm studying Politics and I can say it's definitely up there.

From the experiences of people with whom I've talked to, and conversations with my lecturers, I can tell you that they said that Politics majors went on to work in anything from Political/Diplomatic fields to Journalism, Polling, Law and even Economics. Beyond my core and compulsory modules, I'm offered courses from more departments then most other degrees and you can easily find yourself with two/three political courses, one historical, one economic and one language/social science. This isn't a problem, as all of these courses bolster your knowledge instead of diluting it. As long as I take the necessary core modules to get to know what I need to, the rest is entirely up to me, so I can focus my interest before even graduating. This gives you a lot of transferable skills, which in turn leads to great variety of jobs you can apply to.
Original post by whorace

Apparently it's also the most popular a level choice with biology in close second. I wouldn't say it's the most versatile though.

That would be engineering. It can't be maths because you can't go straight into an engineering job with a maths degree. But an engineering graduate can take on virtually all the jobs a maths graduate could.
No degree is extremely versitile.
An engineer graduate for example cannot become a GP, a vet, a dentist etc.

Also:

Original post by Smack
...everyone has at least some idea of what they want to do after university.

Someone with an economics degree isn't going to be disappointed when he/she cannot become a corrosion engineer after graduation.

A physics graduate isn't going to be upset that they cannot become a nurse.

A history graduate isn't going to care that they cannot become an exploration geologist.

Most graduate jobs don't specify a degree for entry.

And for the ones that do, the people that want to take them will have studied the relevant degree

It doesn't matter that an economist graduate cannot become an engineer - most economists aren't interested in engineering!

Finally, just to clarify, an engineer may be able to become a banker, but CANNOT become an economist.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The answer is most.

70% of grad jobs don't specify a degree subject, so by that logic, it's the person/their CV that nabs them the job not some degree title.

I guess you could argue that the 30% of jobs that do state a subject (usually Maths/CS/Physics/Engineering) are the most 'versatile' as they theoretically open up 95% of the grad job land scape.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Maker
Most versatile degree?

Master's in Milking - because almost everything produces milk.
Reply 134
Maths or English
I can't believe no one has mentioned business. Business touches everything. If you want to be versatile then understand business.
Probably a natural sciences degree.
Reply 137
I would say an EEE degree or a Mechanical Eng degree. The number of industries you could join is just incredible. The whole world opens up for opportunities.
Law because it's draws in social science and science science the methods you learn are very transferable.
Chemistry or physics, you can jump into almost any field from archaeology to engineering.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending