The Student Room Group

Medical Jobs

Hey everyone im new to the forum so no nasty comments :biggrin:. Anyway im looking for a career in the army, as either a Combat Medical Technician or a Combat team medic. Now i want to go in and get a trade so i have a job for when i leave, im currently sitting my Highers(Scotland!) so i will be staying on a school for a further two years. Im 15 atm and will be around 17 1/2 when i leave school. Now i'd like to know the difference between these 2 jobs as the army website dosn't provide much information, like what qualifications i can gain, what jobs i can do when i leave, Will it be Combat orientated(i want this!) and what the pays like

thanks
Reply 1
Okay well i would still really like some in depth detail of the two jobs and what the differences are, thanks
Original post by History-Student
So I can only imagine it won't be combat oriented.

Absoloute rubbish. Worst reference to give a wrong answer yet.

Medics can be at the front line and are deployed there contantly. OP - go to a careers office and get details there - that is what they are there for - or give them a ring. Again, that is what they are there for. Your 'I want this' reference to combat is a bit worrying tho.
Original post by ProStacker
Absoloute rubbish. Worst reference to give a wrong answer yet.

Medics can be at the front line and are deployed there contantly. OP - go to a careers office and get details there - that is what they are there for - or give them a ring. Again, that is what they are there for. Your 'I want this' reference to combat is a bit worrying tho.

Quite right. Unlike those working in the field hospital setups etc - combat medics are essentially infantry with advance medical skillsets.
Original post by Philosoraptor
Quite right. Unlike those working in the field hospital setups etc - combat medics are essentially infantry with advance medical skillsets.

Well no - they work in field hospitals etc as well. There are infanteers who have some medic training, but the combat med are medical professionals working with the infantry.
Original post by ProStacker
Well no - they work in field hospitals etc as well. There are infanteers who have some medic training, but the combat med are medical professionals working with the infantry.

They do - but how do they go and retrieve patients etc.

This is from watching a video by a combat medical technician. on the army website. So minus things like grenades and stuff they genuinely have to be used to combat, whereas its a bit token for say a consultant surgeon joining.
Reply 6
Original post by Philosoraptor
They do - but how do they go and retrieve patients etc.

This is from watching a video by a combat medical technician. on the army website. So minus things like grenades and stuff they genuinely have to be used to combat, whereas its a bit token for say a consultant surgeon joining.

The only "combat" training that combat medical technicians get is in their basic training and then its occasionally covered in their phase two and in their units, probably as much as a surgeon would get tbh. The infantry spend a lot more time trianing in combat as it is their job. Medics are armed, and with the nature of ops at the moment as likely to come under contact as much as anyone else but they have to rely on the infantrymen they are with to fight while they deal with casualties. Generally patrols that go out have their own team medics so the CMT's can be a safer distance from any action.
Original post by moonkatt
The only "combat" training that combat medical technicians get is in their basic training and then its occasionally covered in their phase two and in their units, probably as much as a surgeon would get tbh. The infantry spend a lot more time trianing in combat as it is their job. Medics are armed, and with the nature of ops at the moment as likely to come under contact as much as anyone else but they have to rely on the infantrymen they are with to fight while they deal with casualties. Generally patrols that go out have their own team medics so the CMT's can be a safer distance from any action.

Ah ok apologies - I must have mixed up team medics with CMTs
Medical Officers remain at Field Hospitals and perform vital operations there.
Medic's are the ones who go out and as some of the others have said fight on the front line, they are trained in weapons as well as medical training. However this is limited, the role of the Medic I believe is essentially to keep the casualty alive until he makes it back to a Field Hospital where a MO (Medical Officer) will attend to him.
Reply 9
Munchy, I'm guessing you've been watching all those TV progs showing life on the ground in Afghanistan as it really is. If so, then you need to take off your rose tinted glasses and take a reality check.

War is hell
. No amount of television or cinema or computer games can prepare you for it. You may think it looks really glamorous and you'll get loads of gongs and get on TV but the reality is far far different. I once went on a course with a Combat Medic fresh out of Afg and he was seriously screwed up. I admire your enthusiasm for the role Munches, but I'm afraid you'll have missed the boat by the time you're out of school. Our contribution to 'stabilising' and 'normalising' Afghanistan will be over by 2014 or before and the Army, in particular, will have to find another raison d'etre. I'm sure they'll still have Combat Medics but doing what I'm not sure. I can't see the UK having the appetite or the Forces to partake in any more fisticuffs for quite some time.

If you really want to make a difference to people's lives in the 'Golden Hour' can I suggest you look at the role of Paramedic. You'll get all the blood and guts and vomit, and as many fatal RTC's as you could possibly want. If it's combat you're after, then just pop along to any UK town between about 10pm and 3am, Friday and Saturday, and you'll see plenty of action.
(edited 12 years ago)
Anyway im looking for a career in the army, as either a Combat Medical Technician or a Combat team medic. Now i want to go in and get a trade so i have a job for when i leave, im currently sitting my Highers(Scotland!) so i will be staying on a school for a further two years.

like what qualifications i can gain, what jobs i can do when i leave, Will it be Combat orientated(i want this!) and what the pays like

Hiya mate,

Hopefully i can shed some light/ truth/ debunk some bull in this thread.

CMT is a trade within the Royal Army Medical Corps. You're primary role would be similar to like a paramedic in civi street, but you might find that you spend most of your time helping out within a field hospital, rather than go out on patrols (not saying you won't, but don't expect a lot of frontline action). IE: a Medic for the batallion.

The Combat team medic is a similar job, but I believe you are a medic for your company (ie: if you're in the infantry and a CTM, you will definitely go out on patrol because you are primarily an infanteer).

Training wise, it used to be that the team medic course is less advanced than the CMT course, because the CMT course also covers some basic nursing etc. CTM is more of an advanced first aid, until the casualty is MEDEVACed up the chain.

A MO/ Medical officer is a different role all together, as they are qualified Doctors, so will usually be found furthest away from the action.

Pay wise, I will need to look it up but I believe it's the bog standard pay (depending on your rank, but around 16k straight after training).

PS - CMTs do the non-infantry bog standard 14 week basic course before being loaded onto their CMT course (phase 2). CTMs on the other hand do whatever their primary trade is before being loaded onto the team medic course. If a recall correctly, you can't go straight for the CTM until you've done a certain time in your trade, but can go straight in as a CMT.

Hope this helps a bit.

Qualification wise, you'll probably get a certificate in healthcare or something like that. It's mainly an in-house qualification now. If you go back out onto civi street and want to work in the healthcare sector you'll still need to retrain eg: as a nurse/ paramedic etc.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by M4_Fanatic
The Combat team medic is a similar job, but I believe you are a medic for your company (ie: if you're in the infantry and a CTM, you will definitely go out on patrol because you are primarily an infanteer).

They tend ot have at least one per platoon, you are there to basically stop your mate bleeding to death in the first few minutes after theyve been hit, until you can get them to the company aid post, or casevac location so that MERT et al can do their stuff. The company medics are usually RAMC medics. My mate is an RN medical assistant and he's with a rifle company of the marines at the moment.

If a recall correctly, you can't go straight for the CTM until you've done a certain time in your trade, but can go straight in as a CMT.

did mine after about 3 months in battalion fresh from Catterick. Depends on requirements and whether youre suitable for the course.

In the end, OP, if you want to do medical work and get a qualification in it go for the RAMC, or their equivilent in the RAF or RN, there's always the chance to top up your quals to paramedic while still in service, or transfer and do nursing in the QA's or be an ODP in the RAMC and so on. If you want to shoot ****, join the infantry. But like the chap above me said, its unlikely you will go Afghanistan, they're aiming for all troops to be out by 2014 and it takes over a year to fully train a CMT, by the time you're qualified its likely it will be winding down out there.
Reply 12
Hiya mate,
CMT is a trade within the Royal Army Medical Corps. You're primary role would be similar to like a paramedic in civi street

Qualification wise, you'll probably get a certificate in healthcare or something like that. It's mainly an in-house qualification now. If you go back out onto civi street and want to work in the healthcare sector you'll still need to retrain eg: as a nurse/ paramedic etc.

Wrong, sorry.
CMTs are NOT paramedics. Once they qualify as a CMTs they do have the opportunity further training, and move into specialities including ambulance tech and paramedic.
CMTs will (obviously) potentially see combat and they are trained to do first aid, casualty evacuation, triage etc in the field. The vast majority are actually working in army medical centres though.

The inital training route for a CMT is phase 1/basic training, followed by the phase 2 "Common Core" course at DMSTG (Keogh) which trains them for the job and also gives them a civilian qualification - an Apprenticeship in Health which includes Functional Skills, First Aid, BTech and a level 2 Diploma in Clinical Healthcare Support.

How do I know all this? I'm a CMT!
(edited 12 years ago)
Thanks for clearing that up for me.

I said "similar to a paramedic in civi street", not that you will be a qualified paramedic :wink:

I've only just started my career as a STAB CMT, so I won't know the full details about the regs :smile:.
Original post by vickyfish
Wrong, sorry.
CMTs are NOT paramedics. Once they qualify as a CMTs they do have the opportunity further training, and move into specialities including ambulance tech and paramedic.
CMTs will (obviously) potentially see combat and they are trained to do first aid, casualty evacuation, triage etc in the field. The vast majority are actually working in army medical centres though.

The inital training route for a CMT is phase 1/basic training, followed by the phase 2 "Common Core" course at DMSTG (Keogh) which trains them for the job and also gives them a civilian qualification - an Apprenticeship in Health which includes Functional Skills, First Aid, BTech and a level 2 Diploma in Clinical Healthcare Support.

How do I know all this? I'm a CMT!

Can I ask Vicky how long did it take you to become a CMT? I read on the website that CMTs undergo 18 months practical work experience!

"Following your basic Army training, where you learn essential combat and survival skills, you begin a 23-week course that combines theoretical study with hands-on practice in medical centres and ambulance stations. You then join a medical regiment or field hospital for 18 months’ practical work experience."

So I would I be right in assuming it takes just under two years? I.e. over two years til you're actually doing work on your own accord?

Quick Reply

Latest