The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Are Asian people allowed to say the N word?

Poll

Can Asians use the term as well as blacks?

Obviously black people call each other the N word, so if there's a group of black/asian people can they call each other it? White people generally can't because they used to do it all the time during the slave trade and that was when black people were regarded as subhuman and not equal to whites. With Asians this hasn't been the case, in fact Indian people were kicked out of Uganda and their property stolen after working and contributing to their economy as equals. People from the subcontinent also built the railways in many parts of Africa and were pivotal in campaigning against apartheid South Africa where Indians and blacks were inferior to whites. Mixed race people, i.e. black/white ethnicity seem to be able to use the N word without a fuss even though they have white ancestry so surely Asian people should be able to?

Note: this refers to a social/casual context only, not a formal environment like a workplace where the N word is unacceptable no matter who is saying it.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I don't see why you say 'white people can't say it'
Whilst in these stereotypical groups of people calling eachother it i have seen many white guys being able to say it.
Original post by Tommyjw

Original post by Tommyjw
I don't see why you say 'white people can't say it'
Whilst in these stereotypical groups of people calling eachother it i have seen many white guys being able to say it.

I'm speaking generally, it's generally unacceptable for a white rapper to use it for example whereas black rappers use it all the time. Where do Asians fall in this category?
No, white people aren't allowed to say it so why should we be?
Just like only us Pakistanis should be allowed to call ourselves 'pakis' even though it's not really offensive.

Well, that's what I think anyway.
Original post by TheProdigy2k9
Just like only us Pakistanis should be allowed to call ourselves 'pakis' even though it's not really offensive.

White people invented the term to describe blacks in a derogatory/inferior way, this never happened with Asian people as they weren't involved in the transatlantic slave trade. Some Asian people were also referred to by the N word so there's a link there, the N word wasn't simply applied to blacks.
Reply 5
To be honest I've seen a lot of fights where white and Hispanic guys were calling each other ****** (with the as in the end) for some reason.
Reply 6
Nobody should be able to say it

its a stupid term and only idiots say it

and before people start sayin "they say it to eachother..."
i'm mixed race and have been referred to as black my whole life and i and a few other black friends dont use it
Reply 7
its deemed as socially acceptable for anybody that isn't white to say the N word.

Negative as much as you like - we all know it's the truth.
Original post by Rossical

Original post by Rossical
its deemed as socially acceptable for anybody that isn't white to say the N word.

Negative as much as you like - we all know it's the truth.

I've never seen an Indian person say the N word unless they're quoting the word or reading it (white people do this as well). Same with Chinese.
Reply 9
Original post by Brutal Honesty
I've never seen an Indian person say the N word unless they're quoting the word or reading it (white people do this as well). Same with Chinese.

True, I've never seen an Indian person say it either, but I'm sure if they were to casually use it people would be unlikely to accuse them of racism.

It's common in the US for Asian teenagers to use to word, same with Latino.
Reply 10
Depends on the situation. Saying it to close friends in small numbers should be allowed, it shouldn't matter what race/country/creed/etc you are from. Shouting it out loud in a club full of random people would be unacceptable. This goes for all rude words.

I am Chinese and I don't really like using the word. Too harsh IMO.
Reply 11
This is what happens when non-blacks say it:

(edited 12 years ago)

Its not the word itself which is the problem, it just has alot of negativity attached to it since it was used to show that blacks were not in the same class as whites and that they were inferior..... If you think about it the word 'bitch' just means a female dog, however over time it has become a insult because of all the nedgativity that goes with it, if you know the person good then yeh you can use the word if they also use it since they already know you treat them as a equal person and have respect for them. So yeh ive seen alot of asians use it too but only when in mixed groups where its ussualy used.
Reply 13
Original post by 2ndClass
To be honest I've seen a lot of fights where white and Hispanic guys were calling each other ****** (with the as in the end) for some reason.

LOL I've seen that too. I think the reason is most white and hispanic/latino people don't really get offended by derogatory terms, so they yell out the worst term they can think of, and that sir is the N word ;D

Call a white guy a cracker, he'll laugh. Call a latino guy a wet-back, he'll laugh. Call a black guy the N-word, he'll laugh while beating the **** out of you.
I don't see why whites should be persecuted for saying it where anyone else can easily get away with it.
Everyone is allowed to say whatever the bloody hell they want to bloody say.
Reply 16
Yes asian people can say the N word, just not infront of any N words.

Reminds me of a conversation between a group of friends in class.
Bengalis and Pakistanis were discussing whether or not Bengalis can say "paki" and get away with it without being labelled a racist, considering Bangladesh used to be called East Pakistan
Technically anyone is allowed to say anything.
I personally disapprove of Blacks,Whites and Asians using the word. Blacks are probably the worst though because they say they use it to 'reclaim' its meaning,yet they'll get offended when someone who isn't black says it. Which makes no sense to me whatsoever.
No… had to learn the hard way

Latest

Trending

Trending