The Student Room Group

Attention to 'Math Geniuses' doing Maths at University Level

Hi,
I'm a GCSE student currently in Year 10 who wants to get better at math. Currently I'm around a B grade but I want to raise it to A*, an A at least. I was just wondering if any of you are available for an hour once a week (preferably twice a week) to tutor me online? Maybe through skype and/or the scriblink whiteboard (online collaboration whiteboard)?

I am willing to pay £15 weekly (max. £20 - for 2 sessions weekly) through PayPal [father's account, and yes he approves]. I promise this is not a scam/joke or anything, I genuinely am interested in getting tutored for Math and willing to pay for the service. I am on the WJEC exam board if that helps. For those who are interested please PM me.

I only want those who got an A* at GCSE maths and an A* at AS/A level for Maths and/or Further Maths and currently studying Mathematics at University Level.

Thanks for reading :smile:

[P.S The math tutors closest to me live too far away and please don't suggest using sites like khanacademy, mathswatch, examsolutions etc. I just want live tutoring].
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Ever heard of MathsWatch? It's going to be your best friend for GCSE Maths. Trust me. I've had a completely crap teacher in year 10 and just using the CD before the end of year exam, I managed to get an A. It's only £1.50 - £3.00 too ~
Original post by InadequateJusticex
Ever heard of MathsWatch? It's going to be your best friend for GCSE Maths. Trust me. I've had a completely crap teacher in year 10 and just using the CD before the end of year exam, I managed to get an A. It's only £1.50 - £3.00 too ~

I have MathsWatch however I prefer live tutoring as sometimes on MathsWatch they may state something and I'm thinking 'Why is that?' yet it can't be answered because it is a CD.
What exactly are you having trouble with understanding?
Original post by boromir9111
What exactly are you having trouble with understanding?

Mainly geometry and trigonometry, all areas really.
Original post by princejan7
khanacademy.org

:facepalm: if you read carefully, you would have seen that I requested for no one to mention khanacademy for my reasons given above. :colonhash:
Original post by FutureMedicalDoctor
:facepalm: if you read carefully, you would have seen that I requested for no one to mention khanacademy for my reasons given above. :colonhash:

You could ask nuodai? He does correspondence tuition, afaik.
hmm
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 8
cpdavis
-

jonnyboy1993
-

both going to cambridge this autumn, might like the spare cash this summer...
plus they're both really lovely :tongue:
Why don't you just get a tutor... Like a proper one that goes to your house...? :s-smilie:
Original post by Gryffindor
Why don't you just get a tutor... Like a proper one that goes to your house...? :s-smilie:

:facepalm:

I honestly wish people read before they posted.
Original post by Kobie
both going to cambridge this autumn, might like the spare cash this summer...
plus they're both really lovely :tongue:

Original post by Mr Inquisitive
You could ask nuodai? He does correspondence tuition, afaik.

Thank you so much! :biggrin:

Okay sorry my bad

Maybe TSR isnt a good place to look for a maths tutor. Try TutorHunt.com where you can find the right maths tutor in your area. :smile:
Reply 14
ure soo picky

well, its not live tutoring but its as good as.
if you want to know ""why"" things are the way it is, he will definitely explain/prove it in the video itself.
I would know since i didn't have an intuitive grasp on Maths until watching most of his math vids.

why did you have to neg me? :facepalm:
(edited 12 years ago)
You would be better off learning yourself. You don't need a private tutor. There are so many great resources to learn from, some you have already noted.
Original post by Legendary Carrot
You would be better off learning yourself. You don't need a private tutor. There are so many great resources to learn from, some you have already noted.

I have tried learning myself and using all the resources I could find, however a major problem is when a statement is made I think 'Why?' however the question is un-answered. I'm more interested in understanding, and I think a private tutor will help me whenever I am confused on something and explain specific things, rather than me reading general information that I may not comprehend.
Original post by Gryffindor
Okay sorry my bad

Dw it's okay.
Original post by princejan7
well, its not live tutoring but its as good as.
if you want to know ""why"" things are the way it is, he will definitely explain/prove it in the video itself.
I would know since i didn't have an intuitive grasp on Maths until watching most of his math vids.

why did you have to neg me? :facepalm:

I specifically asked for no one to mention khanacademy or anything like that, I have my reasons. Yes I admit he does explain things but sometimes what he may explain is not in my area of difficulty, if you know what I mean. There are specific things I don't get but he explains on a general basis. People are different.

Quick Reply

Latest