Edexcel IGCSE Maths June 2011 4H solutions

Announcements Posted on
Study Help needs new mods! 14-04-2014
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the-chosen-one)
    Really?! the EASIEST?!
    Actually I kinda agree, I thought it was easier than all the past papers I've ever done.. which is kinda annoying really, because I know how to answer harder questions and now the grade boundaries are likely to be high :| I got 90 on the first paper and 97 on the second.. I really hope the boundaries aren't stupidly high.
    • 19 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ntonks)
    Can you post the one for Math B P2 too?
    I will get round to it but not atm
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maramore)
    Actually I kinda agree, I thought it was easier than all the past papers I've ever done.. which is kinda annoying really, because I know how to answer harder questions and now the grade boundaries are likely to be high :| I got 90 on the first paper and 97 on the second.. I really hope the boundaries aren't stupidly high.
    That's a fantastic score. A* guaranteed. =]
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Firstly, thank you very much for posting the model answers.

Secondly, I have two questions.

1) Would I get any marks if I used the quadratic formula for 21 c) and got two negative numbers?

2) With the surds question I broke both surds down to 2(square root)6 x (square root)18 x (square root)8, would I get any marks?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by helphelphelphelp)
    for 15a, if we wrote 2x - 6 instead of 2(x-3), do you think we'll get it?
    thats what i did - yeah we will:h:
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maramore)
    I've done all the past papers since 2004, some of them even twice, and I thought 3H was definitely one of the hardest out of all the previous papers. However, I thought 4H was a fair paper in comparison to the past papers.
    With 90 and 97 you're definitely going to get an A*. I hope the boundaries aren't anything higher than 85
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    What percentage is A* likely to be???
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    For the surd question, if i have put: root50root6 = 5root2root6 will they give me the points?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mrmanps)
    I know from being an examiner for Edexcel that boundaries arent decided until late July and they are done on means, standard deivations, comparison to previous years etc however, I have to say, apart from one standard form question on 3H which made me think a little this has been the easiest set of IGCSE papers to date. So high I would imagine
    2008 was WAY easier..
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I've done all the past papers since 2004, some of them even twice, and I thought 3H was definitely one of the hardest out of all the previous papers. However, I thought 4H was a fair paper in comparison to the past papers.
    With 90 and 97 you're definitely going to get an A*. I hope the boundaries aren't anything higher than 85
    Hmm, I disagree but maybe I've just improved since I did the papers?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    my teacher said the average boundaries are 85 for an A*, they wont be higher than 90 for definate - even though they were fairly easy.
    • 19 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by olivers16)
    Firstly, thank you very much for posting the model answers.

Secondly, I have two questions.

1) Would I get any marks if I used the quadratic formula for 21 c) and got two negative numbers?

2) With the surds question I broke both surds down to 2(square root)6 x (square root)18 x (square root)8, would I get any marks?
    Most likely some method marks for both
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    For the surds question, I misread the question and left my answer as 10root3.
    How many method marks would I pick up for this?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Wow thanks so much! 4H was definitely better than 3H. Think I got an A overall (:
    • 19 followers

ReputationRep:
    For the surds question, I misread the question and left my answer at 10root3.
    How many method marks would I pick up for this?
    Dont know sorry
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    What's the highest the maths igcse boundary has ever been?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mrmanps)
    I know from being an examiner for Edexcel that boundaries arent decided until late July and they are done on means, standard deivations, comparison to previous years etc however, I have to say, apart from one standard form question on 3H which made me think a little this has been the easiest set of IGCSE papers to date. So high I would imagine
    Could you give a rough guess

Also if the bisector lines are drawn in pencil is it ok?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know what the highest A* grade boundary has been previously?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    awesome! combined score of 192-194/200!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    got 92%

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: May 25, 2012
Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.