The Student Room Group

Have I lost marks in my maths exam?

So in my GCSE linear higher calculator exam they asked us:

x^3+5x=67 has a solution between 3 and 4. Use trial and improvement to find a solution. Give your answer to one decimal place
According to the answers on many threads, the answer was 3.7.
I used the table function on my casio and wrote all of my steps but my answer was 3.6something (can't remember exactly). I thought that the final answer had to equal 67 to one d.p and not your solution for x.
How many marks will I lose (If any)?
Thanks everyone.
EDIT: my answer was definitely correct when entered into the equation.
(edited 12 years ago)
If you have declared anything else but the right answer, you will lose the answer marks but I'm sure you will receive method marks prior to that.
What?? How could you possibly think that putting 67 to one decimal place makes any sense as an answer. *sigh*
Reply 3
Could there possibly be multiple answers to this question though? Many things could equal 67 to one d.p when entered into that equation, I think that mine was just more accurate.
Reply 4
Original post by ok_cub2008
What?? How could you possibly think that putting 67 to one decimal place makes any sense as an answer. *sigh*

I don't think that you understood what I said. I acknowledge that it was quite badly worded though. If you don't have a reasonable answer for me then please don't comment.
Well from what the question says it was looking for a solution to the equation, so I think the answer is more definite than you think.
Reply 6
Original post by davidcy147
Well from what the question says it was looking for a solution to the equation, so I think the answer is more definite than you think.

Fair enough, thanks for the help. I hope that I can get a couple of method marks as it was a four mark question.
Original post by venenecinema
I don't think that you understood what I said. I acknowledge that it was quite badly worded though. If you don't have a reasonable answer for me then please don't comment.

Ok, I think I understand now, but that is still pretty bad.
Original post by venenecinema
Fair enough, thanks for the help. I hope that I can get a couple of method marks as it was a four mark question.

Given what you've said you have done, I'm sure you will! Stop worrying! :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending