The Student Room Group

I failed maths ;'(

I didn't revise at all last year, screwed around in class because I felt that I'd fail maths anyway, but I still managed to get a C. So I decided to pull up my socks this year and REALLY try and I did. I'm aiming for a B so that I can get into College but really feel as if I won't get it, I found the first paper pretty difficult, the calc was much easier but I feel I made many stupid mistakes, I don't like making excuses but maybe it was due to pressure of not wanting to get a C again. What makes it worse and what is really getting me down is the fact that I spent weeks and nights preparing for this exam :'( Is it possible to retake next year in college? How would I go about doing it? (Edexcel Higher Linear)

:frown:
Reply 1
Original post by NickV
I didn't revise at all last year, screwed around in class because I felt that I'd fail maths anyway, but I still managed to get a C. So I decided to pull up my socks this year and REALLY try and I did. I'm aiming for a B so that I can get into College but really feel as if I won't get it, I found the first paper pretty difficult, the calc was much easier but I feel I made many stupid mistakes, I don't like making excuses but maybe it was due to pressure of not wanting to get a C again. What makes it worse and what is really getting me down is the fact that I spent weeks and nights preparing for this exam :'( Is it possible to retake next year in college? How would I go about doing it? (Edexcel Higher Linear)

Dude I failed too! But it's over! :smile:

Ask the sixth form or college.

Sorry I couldn't be much help.
Reply 2
Original post by NickV

A grade B is awarded for getting just over half of the questions right. I'm sure you didn't do as bad as you thought.
Reply 3
It is possible to retake, but you'd have to speak to each institution individually to find out if they would facilitate that. Take this as a lesson to pay attention in lessons.
Original post by tory88
It is possible to retake, but you'd have to speak to each institution individually to find out if they would facilitate that. Take this as a lesson to pay attention in lessons.

i don't understand why people negged tory88

he is just speaking honestly. you should have tried harder and should have stopped messing about. it's your own fault you told yourself you were going to fail, you didn't do anything about it. its your own fault bro, neg me if you want it will only be because you are trying to escape the reality of life and you will take your anger out by negging me instead of looking at yourself
Reply 5
Original post by georgeflynn
i don't understand why people negged tory88

he is just speaking honestly. you should have tried harder and should have stopped messing about. it's your own fault you told yourself you were going to fail, you didn't do anything about it. its your own fault bro, neg me if you want it will only be because you are trying to escape the reality of life and you will take your anger out by negging me instead of looking at yourself

I didn't neg him. I agree I should have tried last year to get the grade then, but I didn't. Since September 2010 (having off days), I've been revising 2 hours and doing past papers, focused and made notes in class. And I personally believe I tried like F*ck this year. But still feel I messed up :|
Original post by NickV

Don't worry, i was in the same situation as you 2 years ago...I didn't even have confidence that i would get a B after both my papers, i thought they were quite hard and as accesstohe said you can get a B for just getting more than half of the questions right, and you probably feel like you didn't do as well but am sure you will get your B...don't worry too much and concentrate on your upcoming exams :smile:
Reply 8
Thanks Guys :smile:
Reply 9
Bro, a C is not a fail, it's universally seen as a pass. I got a C back in school in 2005, I just retook last week and got an A easily :smile:. But anyway, I wanted a B as well when I was at school so I could do maths at college. But now i'm actually glad I didn't cause I would have got BLASTED at even AS level, people from school who got A's, some of them ended up with E's or similar, the jump is humongous so if you struggle abit at school theres not much chance for success at college. Especially when you've got your other subjects to think about as well! So see it as a blessing if you do get a C lol, and come back in a year or 6 in my case :P (after college and Uni, which I got a 2:1 in my degree!) when your brain is more developed and you will find it all easy. I found this maths piss easy, I was looking for an A* but made a few mistakes and was abit unlucky with the questions of the first paper. An A was easy though I got about 162/200. :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by F35-LII
Bro, a C is not a fail, it's universally seen as a pass. I got a C back in school in 2005, I just retook last week and got an A easily :smile:. But anyway, I wanted a B as well when I was at school so I could do maths at college. But now i'm actually glad I didn't cause I would have got BLASTED at even AS level, people from school who got A's, some of them ended up with E's or similar, the jump is humongous so if you struggle abit at school theres not much chance for success at college. Especially when you've got your other subjects to think about as well! So see it as a blessing if you do get a C lol, and come back in a year or 6 in my case :P (after college and Uni, which I got a 2:1 in my degree!) when your brain is more developed and you will find it all easy. I found this maths piss easy, I was looking for an A* but made a few mistakes and was abit unlucky with the questions of the first paper. An A was easy though I got about 162/200. :smile:

So you've just graduated with a good degree... can I ask why you went back and resat maths?
Reply 11
Original post by Dannyboy11
So you've just graduated with a good degree... can I ask why you went back and resat maths?

Sure, Im in the middle of an RAF application and they've just increased the requirements to a B in Maths at GCSE, so if i was to fail at my first attempt in order to reapply I may need it, despite having a degree. Best be safe to have what they ask for. AND it shows Pro-activeness which will look good in my interview, AND it keeps my mind ticking over until my final part of selection where I will need good quick maths.

And re-doing my Maths was actually something I wanted to do at some point in the future, as I was never happy with a C, and i realised at uni that I could actually do maths. I used to believe you can either do it or you can't but now I see it's just effort (plus at least some level of intelligence lol). So i'm glad i've finally righted a wrong in my life haha, had a ball doing it too.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending