The Student Room Group

Help deciding which A-levels to take?!

Hi :smile: I'm currently in yr11 and have almost finished my GCSEs.
I'm unsure of what to take next year. I'm interested in various career paths/degrees: Law, Finance/Economics and Medicine
I'm considering taking 4 of these A-levels to AS and 3 to A2 (not sure which 3 yet though)

Maths
Chemistry
Biology
French
Economics

I'm cetrain about the ones in bold, but I can't decide between French and Economics.

French: I enjoy french and it's one of my better subjects. I am very keen to continue learning the language, and aim to be fluent one day :tongue: However, if I took french and then later decided upon an economics/finance degree, would it hinder my chances that I'd not taken economics? :confused: Would LSE look favourably upon another candidate of the same calibre who had taken economics?

Economics: I think it could be very helpful and would open up a number of paths. Also, I've been told it's useful to do in general terms. However, I've heard lots about it being boring, and it being similar to aspects of geography which I disliked at gcse.

Although I'm not sure about what degree I wish to take yet, I would like to attend a good university (preferably Russell Group)

Any advice about any of the aforementioned subjects or just general a-level help would be greatly appreciated

Thank you! :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

hmm french or economics... well if it's a 4th subject it doesn't particularly matter that much, they mainly focus on the 3 you continue to A2

i can't help you choose. both are good. maybe economics is more linked with maths, but then again french goes with anything
Reply 2
If you're really considering finance as a career path, economics would be your best bet. If you just wanted to do medicine/law, either of those subjects would be fine :smile:
For eco/finance, you'd probably be best dropping bio after AS (if you wanted to drop at all)
For Medicine, as long as you have chem and bio to A2, you're set (unless you're looking at Cambridge, in which case A2 maths would be a good idea).
For law, I don't really know, but I'm guessing that keeping the writing subject (french/eco) to A2 would be a good idea.

From personal experience:
I took economics at GCSE, hated it for two years, and wouldn't want to touch the a-level with a barge pole. I found it to be really relevant, but so boring.

I'm aiming for medicine at uni, and took maths, chem, bio and spanish. I'm dropping spanish now, but the AS was nice; you cover a wide range of topics, and depending on your board (I did Edexcel) there are only two exams, one of which is a fairly short oral. I don't know why, but the people in my class doing languages in combination with science/maths did really well in spanish!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3
well, if you don't see yourself doing a language at uni, then maybe you should do economics? but then again, if you want to get into a good uni, maybe you should do the subject you'll do best at? also if you don't like the subject, you'll find it hard to be motivated to revise for it :smile:
if i was you, i would do economics :biggrin:
Original post by georgeflynn
hmm french or economics... well if it's a 4th subject it doesn't particularly matter that much, they mainly focus on the 3 you continue to A2

i can't help you choose. both are good. maybe economics is more linked with maths, but then again french goes with anything

Hmm, that's part of my dilemma. I'm not sure which 3 I would carry on to A2 though at the moment. I'm hoping after my AS year I'll know which degree I would like to do and then choose which subjects to continue.

Original post by Kidneyjean
If you're really considering finance as a career path, economics would be your best bet. If you just wanted to do medicine/law, either of those subjects would be fine :smile:

From personal experience:
I took Economics at GCSE, hated it for two years, and wouldn't want to touch the a-level with a barge pole. I found it to be really relevant, but so boring.

I'm aiming for medicine at uni, and took Maths, Chem, Bio and Spanish. I'm dropping Spanish now, but the AS was nice; you cover a wide range of topics, and depending on your board (I did Edexcel) there are only two exams, one of which is a fairly short oral. I don't know why, but the people in my class doing languages in combination with science/maths did really well in Spanish!

Thanks for your opinion it's really helpful :biggrin: I definitely think I would enjoy french more, and it would be something different compared to the other maths/science related subjects, but I don't want to disadvantage myself by not taking economics.
I've heard the bit in bold so many times - it's helpful but boring, so I don't know whether I should take it.
Reply 5
If you decide to do medicine, french would be more useful to you than economics, as it shows that you have another completely different skill. Universities might therefore see you as a more rounded individual. It might not make that much difference, but it would probably give you an edge over somebody who has only done science/maths based subjects.
If you think you'll prefer french, please please do french.
You've got three solid A levels and ..I think Maths is much more wanted than Economics, if you did want to do an Economics degree? Don't quote me on that..
A levels are so much easier if you enjoy them.
Do french!
Reply 7
Why not just take all five? You can always drop one later if it's too much, or you just really don't get along with a particular subject.
Reply 8
i'd say do french - economics a level is never necessary, but french is a really good qualification that employers will like in the future - life does not end after you submit your ucas, try to think ahead
I'm doing french and a few people have said unis regard languages highly, but the economics may fit better unless you're planning to work in a french speaking place or can use it for a career after uni.
Original post by HGMedic
If you decide to do medicine, french would be more useful to you than economics, as it shows that you have another completely different skill. Universities might therefore see you as a more rounded individual. It might not make that much difference, but it would probably give you an edge over somebody who has only done science/maths based subjects.

That's really helpful advice :biggrin: I hadn't really thought about that. Especially with medicine being super competitive, it might be more helpful to do french. Thanks!! :biggrin:

Original post by physicsfuntimes
If you think you'll prefer french, please please do french.
You've got three solid A levels and ..I think Maths is much more wanted than Economics, if you did want to do an Economics degree? Don't quote me on that..
A levels are so much easier if you enjoy them.
Do french!

Yeah, realistically, I'd probably enjoy french more, and therefore put more effort in. I know that maths is preferred over economics, but I know that most economics applicants have taken it at a-level :s-smilie:
Thanks though :biggrin:
I think if you're great at maths, lack of economics hopefully wouldn't hold you back. And french is a good addition next to the sciences. Good luck either way!
Original post by Kallistrate
Why not just take all five? You can always drop one later if it's too much, or you just really don't get along with a particular subject.

I have thought about this, I considered doing 4 AS in the first year, and then 3 A2 plus one AS in the second year. However, it'll be too much, I don't think I'd be able to cope with the amount of work. If you don't mind my asking, are you taking 5, and if so, how is it?

Original post by rhose
i'd say do french - economics a level is never necessary, but french is a really good qualification that employers will like in the future - life does not end after you submit your ucas, try to think ahead

I've heard that french is a life skill not just an a-level whereas economics is. I'm starting to lean more towards french, but I'm not 100% sure yet.

Thank you for giving your advice :smile:
Original post by physicsfuntimes
I think if you're great at maths, lack of economics hopefully wouldn't hold you back. And french is a good addition next to the sciences. Good luck either way!

:biggrin: Thanks!
Reply 14
Original post by the-chosen-one
That's really helpful advice :biggrin: I hadn't really thought about that. Especially with medicine being super competitive, it might be more helpful to do french. Thanks!! :biggrin:

No problem :smile:
With your username, you really ought to be taking Defence Against the Dark Arts... :tongue:

But I'd pick French if I were you - your interest in the subject is really important, and seeing as you're picking maths you shouldn't be very disadvantaged against other candidates. If you do end up deciding you want to do an Economics degree, further reading could probably bring you up to the same level - besides, a foreign language is useful for whichever career path you decide upon.
Original post by Lily Academia
With your username, you really ought to be taking Defence Against the Dark Arts... :tongue:

But I'd pick French if I were you - your interest in the subject is really important, and seeing as you're picking maths you shouldn't be very disadvantaged against other candidates. If you do end up deciding you want to do an Economics degree, further reading could probably bring you up to the same level - besides, a foreign language is useful for whichever career path you decide upon.

Aha :tongue: Unfortunately I failed my OWLs in that :tongue:

Thank you! I do think I'd enjoy french more, and yeah you're right it's helpful for almost anything. Thank you! :biggrin:

Aha :tongue: Unfortunately I failed my OWLs in that :tongue:

Thank you! I do think I'd enjoy french more, and yeah you're right it's helpful for almost anything. Thank you! :biggrin:

That's okay :h: If you need any help next year with the AS French feel free to ask me; I took it a year early. (Especially if your exam board turns out to be AQA) It's a lovely language and although the 'jump' from GCSE to AS was quite big I really don't regret taking it.
Reply 18
If I were you, I'd start with all 5, then drop down to 4 after a month or so once you know which ones you like best :smile:
Reply 19
Original post by Kallistrate

How is it possible to do 5 and what would the point be??? At my school this certainly wouldn't be allowed as there are 4 option blocks only (a 5th just wouldn't fit!), and unis only want to see 3 A2s and 4 AS.

My school is a high performing grammar school and explicity says that it feels to let us do an extra AS would put us at a disadvantage as we would be able to devote less time to each subject and it may also make it harder to choose what to drop at A2 level.

Quick Reply

Latest