The Student Room Group

Villa or Everton? Which is the bigger club?

Poll

Which is the bigger club?

Been having some arguments on twitter with a load of Evertonians who think Everton are a bigger club than Villa.

Been trying to set them straight.

I believe Villa are a bigger club than Everton.

I acknowledge that Everton are a big club, of similar stature to ourselves, but I think we are the bigger club (not by much, but still...)

Here are my reasons:

Trophies

Villa are the more successful club

Villa have 20 trophies - 7 League Titles, 7 FA Cups, 5 League Cups, 1 European Cup

Everton have 15 trophies - 9 League Titles, 5 FA Cups, 1 Cup Winners's Cup

Everton have never been Champions of Europe.

We have.

Villa have the bigger and better stadium.

Villa Park capacity - 42,786

Goodison Park capacity - 40,157

We also have better training facilities and a better youth academy.

We have the bigger fanbase

Villa average attendance 2010/11 - 37,220

Everton average attendance 2010/11 - 36,039

Villa have a richer owner with more money.

We bought Darren Bent for £18m-£24m.

Everton signed Jermaine Beckford on a free transfer.

We (Villa) are the #1 club in our city, county and region. AVFC - Pride of the Midlands

Everton are the #2 club in their city. EFC - Forever in Liverpool's Shadow

All these reasons lead me to believe that Villa are a bigger club than Everton (though like I say, Everton are also a big club so not much in it.)

Thoughts?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Aston Villa have won the european cup, end of.
Reply 2
Aston Villa >
They are both the biggest club in their respective cities but Birmingham is a bigger city than Liverpool so I say Villa.
Reply 4
Hate both of them but Villa are the bigger club only just but both clubs think they are bigger than what they are.
Villa obviously. Interesting that no everton voters have argued their case. Probably all dumbdumb dupes tbf.
Reply 6
fan wise probably everton, success wise, villa.
Reply 7
Villa, perhaps just. More trophies, and the European Cup (then again Forest has won it, and is not bigger than Everton, nor Arsenal or Tottenham and they've never won it).

As for fan base, that's difficult to measure since that extends more than just people who go to matches. Somebody can be a fan, yet seldom go to matches (for whatever reason, distance, work, etc.) Fandom IMO depends on how much one knows about the club and its history, how long they've supported the club, etc.
Aston Villa are a small club. Everton are the bigger club without a doubt.
Reply 9
Original post by Doin it again
Aston Villa are a small club. Everton are the bigger club without a doubt.

Well, You just make yourself sound stupid by saying that; if somehow someone somewhere could twist the stated facts to portray everton as the more successful club, then even at that extreme villa would hardly be a much 'smaller' club.

dont make such sweepingly ignorant remarks!
It makes you sound simple.
Reply 10
I'd say my first instinct was to think Villa as the bigger club but only marginally.

However I think Everton currently are a better club in terms of their manager, squad ability etc.
Villa are one big decision away from relegation in some ways. (Bad manager, Young/Downing leave and not enough good investment over the summer = at risk).
Reply 11
I think Villa have better players although that will change this summer.
Whilst Villa will be losing at least one key player, let's not forget that Everton also need to do so to stay afloat.
I reckon if I was a player at say a club like West Ham or Birmingham, and heard that Villa and Everton were after me, I'd go to Villa. Although Villa have been underachievers for a while, I think they have got more potential.

I worry a little bit about Everton's future, they have got a fantastic manager and a great group of hard working players but the financial constraints bite every year as other clubs overtake them. I feel like they are a club who are doing everything they can to stay where they are in a solid position where they are well respected, but it gets harder every year and the house of cards will fall down when Moyes leaves, unless they really get the next appointment of a manager spot on.

Obviously the situation could change if they get new investment but in the era before Moyes came, Everton were always the biggest club in relegation fights and I wonder whether that might happen again.

As for Villa, I have thought for a while they were not far off being the 'best of the rest', if MON had stayed I reckon thats more or less where they would have settled, about 6th-7th.
i think aston villa is bigger club of these 2.
i've always thought everton and villa were very similar clubs.

similar size, both founder members of football league (ours is the most-played fixture in british history), both very successful in the past but sadly not anymore.

moyes wouldn't ever leave everton to go to villa though, why would he? sideways step - both clubs are poor (we are worse off but his 9 years here more than balances it out).

european cup win yes but as has been pointed out nottingham forest have won it. we have more league titles, and were widely accepted as the best team in europe before the heysel ban - so who knows what would have happened then.

i like villa as a club so no need to be arguing about it, i think we are both massive clubs. sadly the sky era has changed the way loads of people think.
Original post by MagicNMedicine
I reckon if I was a player at say a club like West Ham or Birmingham, and heard that Villa and Everton were after me, I'd go to Villa. Although Villa have been underachievers for a while, I think they have got more potential.

I worry a little bit about Everton's future, they have got a fantastic manager and a great group of hard working players but the financial constraints bite every year as other clubs overtake them. I feel like they are a club who are doing everything they can to stay where they are in a solid position where they are well respected, but it gets harder every year and the house of cards will fall down when Moyes leaves, unless they really get the next appointment of a manager spot on.

Obviously the situation could change if they get new investment but in the era before Moyes came, Everton were always the biggest club in relegation fights and I wonder whether that might happen again.

As for Villa, I have thought for a while they were not far off being the 'best of the rest', if MON had stayed I reckon thats more or less where they would have settled, about 6th-7th.

remember that just a couple of seasons ago it was everton and villa battling it out for 5th each year (for a couple of seasons at least).

tbh i think MON is over-rated slightly. from how i see it as an outsider randy lerner came in with a fair amount of money, o'neill spent it all then kicked off when he was told he had to sell to buy?
Reply 17
Villa can never hold on to there best players. Everton can.

Villa are a piss team in recent years. Flirted with relegation until they got Martin O'Neil who over-achieved with them & now he's gone there back to the level they are at. Flirting with relegation.

Having said that. It would be the same with Everton. David Moyes over-achieves with them.
Reply 18
Everton have won Europe- thats what the cup winners cup is. 1985.
Reply 19
everton are better thn villa...SNM!

BECKFORD VS BENT....OMDZ..LOL

Latest