Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What happens if I get reported for cheating in a GCSE exam?

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Okay, so I took my Maths GCSE exam a few days ago, and whilst checking through my paper in the exam, I was holding one of the sheets up (whilst flicking pages) not realising I was showing answers to another student. The invidulator came up to me and said you must keep your paper flat as it another student to my right can see it. I explained I wasn't aware that I was in fact revealing answers to another student.

She let me off, but if she didn't let me off, what would have happened?

Also, does this count as cheating as I wasn't the one actually looking at someone elses exam paper?

Plus, what happens if someone gets excluded from a particular exam? Do they get taken out there and then, told they've been disqualified, or find out only on results day?
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fizzbizz)
    Okay, so I took my Maths GCSE exam a few days ago, and whilst checking through my paper in the exam, I was holding one of the sheets up (whilst flicking pages) not realising I was showing answers to another student. The invidulator came up to me and said you must keep your paper flat as it another student to my right can see it. I explained I wasn't aware that I was in fact revealing answers to another student.

Also, does this count as cheating as I wasn't the one actually looking at someone elses exam paper?

Plus, what happens if someone gets excluded from a particular exam? Do they get taken out there and then, told they've been disqualified, or find out only on results day?
    If you get excluded from a particular exam, you may get a U in the exam, I think.
    You may get disquialified :/

Sorry I couldn't be much help.
    • 56 followers

ReputationRep:

Chill, they're not stupid.

As long as you're not going out of your way to show someone else your exam paper; you'll be fine.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    The invidulator came up to me and said you must keep your paper flat as it another student to my right can see it.
    Sorry, what?
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehforum)
    Chill, they're not stupid.

As long as you're not going out of your way to show someone else your exam paper; you'll be fine.
    What do you mean 'going out of your way'?
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UniversityLAD)
    Sorry, what?
    LOL I meant invigilator. You know what I meant!
    • 56 followers

ReputationRep:
    What do you mean 'going out of your way'?
    Stretching over as close as possible to another person's table to show your answers.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehforum)
    Stretching over as close as possible to another person's table to show your answers.
    Oh okay, thanks
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    No I really don't think you will be disqualified for that. If you were they would let you know. I can almost bet that you will be fine, honestly. You did nothing wrong, chill out and good luck for anymore exams that you may be taking!
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you cheat you can have that exam cancelled, all other exams cancelled with that board in theory, but they are still reasonable people, and they understand that sometimes what looks like cheating can just be an unfortunate accident.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    They wouldn't report you for that, it's an easy mistake to make. If you do get reported for something, then you get 0 marks, and apparently you can be banned from taking other exams on the same exam board. I was told that by a teacher though, so it may have been a scare tactic.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vipz26)
    In my school if the invigilators find anyone suspisicious they take them out of the exam and talk to them, and then decide whether they will report anything. So if they don't ask you to leave then you should have no worries.

Usually they try to sound really strict and professional, just to make sure that no one does anything like cheat or talk, but they are usually quite safe and understanding.
    Could've fooled me :mute:
    • 34 followers

ReputationRep:

It's cheating. You'd be disqualified from that exam, and possibly all your others as well.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Well why cry over spilt milk? you did ur exam n got through n no one said anything so chill out and relax!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 22, 2011
New on TSR
Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.