The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Turnitin through WebCt

Hey,

has anyone used this before?

Im starting my dissertation this summer and wondering if i submit my draft dissertation through turnitin on webct next month, and resubmit it again later in September, will turnitin recognize this as plagiarism?

Its says its uploading your work here does not constitute a formal submission, so i am guessing turnitin will not store a copy of my dissertation on their database since its only for testing right?

thanks
Original post by Dan345
Hey,

has anyone used this before?

Im starting my dissertation this summer and wondering if i submit my draft dissertation through turnitin on webct next month, and resubmit it again later in September, will turnitin recognize this as plagiarism?

Its says its uploading your work here does not constitute a formal submission, so i am guessing turnitin will not store a copy of my dissertation on their database since its only for testing right?

thanks

I don't really know a lot about dissertation submission but I'm surprised that if it's just a draft they're making you put it through turnitin. I guess they have to check that you're on the right track and aren't heavily nicking from other sources :dontknow:

Anyway if it flags up as plagiarised from your own work I doubt the uni are gonna pull you up for it seeing as it was originally your own work and it's not being used for an alternative essay i.e. your draft submission and final submission are obviously both part of the same piece rather than using your draft submission for your dissertation but also then using it for another assessment cos that CAN flag up problems (happened to my ex) - but this is for the same exercise so should be fine.

Just check with your tutor if you're really concerned.
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 2
I don't go to Nottingham, but I do go to Birmingham -and we use WebCT and Turnitin. If all you're worried about is your draft dissertation causing your final version to be flagged as 'plagiarism', then you don't need to be. The main reason is that turnitin does not decide that an essay has been plagiarised: the worst that will happen is that it will flag your essay as having a high similarity rating and a marker will be aware of this and compare the two documents. They will then realise what's happened! Also, if it happens to you, it'll surely happen to everyone who submits a dissertation. Are you sure that you need to submit it twice, though? We only had to put our final through turnitin, given that the draft doesn't count towards your overall classification, I don't see why they'd care whether or not it was plagiarised as you would get found out in the final version, which is the one that matters.

Quick Reply