The Student Room Group

The "I'm applying to UCAS for 2012 entry" thread

UCAS 2012

Welcome to the UCAS 2012 thread! Feel free to discuss anything to do with the process: personal statements, choices, filling in your application, registering, etc. There are plenty of members who are happy to answer any questions, so do ask!

You may find the following links useful:

Personal Statements

Personal Statement FAQs
Personal Statement Library
Personal Statement Questions
Writing Your Personal Statement
Personal Statement Help Forum

Applying

UCAS Search
UCAS Apply

Choosing Universities

University Videos and Virtual Tours
Guardian University Guide
The Times Good University Guide
UniStats

Applicants

The list of applicants aims to provide you with a few contacts who are applying to similar courses or universities to you. If you require assistance, I would advise you to post here first, but I hope those above would be happy to offer advice via PM also.

If you would like to be added to the list of applicants, please PM me. Don't post here as it will ruin discussion and clog up the thread! I would appreciate the following format:

Main Course [Course Extras]: Username (University choices)

Applicants

Good luck to everyone with their applications! I'm sure we will have a few exciting months together. :u:
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Good luck everyone with your application, the standard portion takes very little time to fill in.

If any of you need help with your personal statements then remember you can use the review function on here, the link is in my signature (at the time of writing).

:smile:
Original post by Groat
UCAS 2012

How many of you have registered UCAS Apply for 2012? I was given my school's buzzword yesterday and am already whizzing through the standard sections.

I guess this could be a great place to gather questions and discussion.

Good luck everyone with their applications! I'm sure we will have a few exciting months together. :u:

(I'd appreciate if a moderator could alter the title to UCAS, for some reason it kept changing it to Ucas).

I reported it for you, so hopefully someone should change it for you. I asked it if may be worth stickying it for you as it is a pretty general thread, if not though (it is a touch early) ask if it can be made a colour so it stands out. They may refuse that as well but worth asking :tongue:
Reply 3
Original post by paddy__power
Good luck everyone with your application, the standard portion takes very little time to fill in.

If any of you need help with your personal statements then remember you can use the review function on here, the link is in my signature (at the time of writing).

:smile:

Thank you!

In your opinion, at what stage of the personal statement is it best to post and request assistance from the PS Helpers? Before teachers have seen it, etc.

I've entered all my exams so all I have to do is edit the results from pending on results day. :colone:
Original post by Groat
Thank you!

In your opinion, at what stage of the personal statement is it best to post and request assistance from the PS Helpers? Before teachers have seen it, etc.

I've entered all my exams so all I have to do is edit the results from pending on results day. :colone:

Once you've written a draft that you're pretty happy with - we can only guarantee one full review due to demand, so it's in your best interests to give us your most final version to work with. We're also not reviewing 2012 entry PS's until July, due to the fact that most Helpers are undergrads who are busy with exams at the moment :smile:
Reply 5
I'm registered for ucas 2012 as well :smile: was thinking about getting some PS help on here, think I definitely will when I've finished writing it
Original post by Groat
Thank you!

To be completely honest many teachers and schools give very bad advice regarding personal statements. I would write it to a standard you think is good and then submit it here. Don't be disheartened if feedback seems negative (it often does) it is just us trying to be as honest as possible to give you the best chance of offers :smile:

I personally wrote mine in one go, and aside from checking the Grammar, didn't really edit it beyond that so can't talk from experience about how many times you should re-write it but if you write it, and then come back to it the next day still like it and don't feel you can improve it then it is probably a good time to seek help.

You have a very long time though so you can take a relaxed approach. You could even start today. Coming back to it after a month or so will allow you to have a fresher read :smile:
I reported it for you, so hopefully someone should change it for you.

I've tried, and the title won't stay in caps. Hopefully Minerva can fix it :yes:
Reply 8
To be completely honest many teachers and schools give very bad advice regarding personal statements. I would write it to a standard you think is good and then submit it here. Don't be disheartened if feedback seems negative (it often does) it is just us trying to be as honest as possible to give you the best chance of offers :smile:

I personally wrote mine in one go, and aside from checking the Grammar, didn't really edit it beyond that so can't talk from experience about how many times you should re-write it but if you write it, and then come back to it the next day still like it and don't feel you can improve it then it is probably a good time to seek help.

You have a very long time though so you can take a relaxed approach. You could even start today. Coming back to it after a month or so will allow you to have a fresher read :smile:

I've already written a few lines. I thought it would be wise to formulate my thoughts soon after reading my book. :dumbells:

I'll probably get a first draft done, show it to a few teachers and then post it on here.

Original post by Becca-Sarah
I've tried, and the title won't stay in caps. Hopefully Minerva can fix it :yes:

Once you've written a draft that you're pretty happy with - we can only guarantee one full review due to demand, so it's in your best interests to give us your most final version to work with. We're also not reviewing 2012 entry PS's until July, due to the fact that most Helpers are undergrads who are busy with exams at the moment :smile:

Thanks. Good luck with your university exams. :u:

Ah fair enough, well I think my report is still active so eventually someone who can do such magics will appear :moon:
Original post by Groat
I've already written a few lines. I thought it would be wise to formulate my thoughts soon after reading my book. :dumbells:

I'll probably get a first draft done, show it to a few teachers and then post it on here.

Thanks. Good luck with your university exams. :u:

If you have any honest, knowledgeable friends it may be worth asking them to take a look as well - even if just to correct grammar and syntactical errors :smile:
Reply 11
If you have any honest, knowledgeable friends it may be worth asking them to take a look as well - even if just to correct grammar and syntactical errors :smile:

Yeah, I'm lucky to have two sisters who have gone through the process so I'm sure I won't be lacking advice! This is when making friends with lots of teachers will pay its dividends. :pirate3:
Original post by Groat
Yeah, I'm lucky to have two sisters who have gone through the process so I'm sure I won't be lacking advice! This is when making friends with lots of teachers will pay its dividends. :pirate3:

Indeed; if you are on good terms with an English teacher they will be a good place to start.
Reply 13
It has come so fast is seems like just yesterday I was procrastinating..oh wait.
Oh my. I can't believe this is it, this is my year for applying to uni after all this time watching other people stress about it. I don't like it!!!! *has little childish panic*

I haven't registered yet but it's only a matter of time. Eek! Good luck everyone! I can tell there's going to be a lot more of me stressing on this thread. Dammit.
Reply 15
Original post by Oncoming Storm
Oh my. I can't believe this is it, this is my year for applying to uni after all this time watching other people stress about it. I don't like it!!!! *has little childish panic*

I haven't registered yet but it's only a matter of time. Eek! Good luck everyone! I can tell there's going to be a lot more of me stressing on this thread. Dammit.

Yeah, it's quite strange thinking all the years at school build up to this!
Original post by Groat
Yeah, it's quite strange thinking all the years at school build up to this!

I'm still getting my head round the idea that there isn't a year above me. There's no layer of seperation between me and the big wide world anymore. This is the end of school. It's such a strange thing to come to terms with. This is the year I find out whether all this dreaming about being a pharmacist will ever come to anything. :eek:
(edited 12 years ago)

Ah fair enough, well I think my report is still active so eventually someone who can do such magics will appear :moon:

Do you reckon putting a "The" in front of it counts as magic? Not sure why it doesn't work normally, I guess it must be some insensitivity to capital letters, so it doesn't understand you've changed anything. Would rather not sticky it for now, as I don't want it to detract from the 2011 stuff at the moment.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by F1 fanatic
Do you reckon putting a "The" in front of it counts as magic? Not sure why it doesn't work normally, I guess it must be some insensitivity to capital letters, so it doesn't understand you've changed anything. Would rather not sticky/colour it for now, as I don't want it to detract from the 2011 stuff at the moment. Let us know after results day and we'll look at colouring it then :smile:

Yes. If I didn't know it then it must be magic :hand: :tongue: (seriously though, no but I wasn't aware the solution was so simple).

Fair enough on the sticky/colour front I thought it may be early :smile:
Reply 19
Original post by F1 fanatic
Do you reckon putting a "The" in front of it counts as magic? Not sure why it doesn't work normally, I guess it must be some insensitivity to capital letters, so it doesn't understand you've changed anything. Would rather not sticky it for now, as I don't want it to detract from the 2011 stuff at the moment.

Yes. If I didn't know it then it must be magic :hand: :tongue: (seriously though, no but I wasn't aware the solution was so simple).

Fair enough on the sticky/colour front I thought it may be early :smile:

Thank you for sorting it - it looks a bit more official now!

I understand the importance of the 2011 threads, I'm quite an early bird. :colondollar:

Latest

Trending

Trending