The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by fluteflute
My college advised me to put June (when you sat the exams) for most qualifications (as opposed to August when you receive the results, or later when you get the certificate). So yes I'd put November 2009.

What about exams I sat in May? June as well?
Original post by Deceiver

Original post by Deceiver
What about exams I sat in May? June as well?

That was my initial thought when hearing that advice!

But none of my certificates say May, they all say June, so that's what I'm going with.
Mine all say July (but that's because they're Guildhall/Trinity.

Do you have the form the examiner writes comments and marks on? If so that may include the month that you took the exam on.

Original post by GeorgieBoy
Found them now. Cheers.

I may be wrong as my flute ones are ABSRM, but dont they show riiiight at the bottom what month/year you took the exam? I've found out we log onto UCAS for the first time next Thurs. WHEN I'M NOT THERE!!
Original post by .snowflake.

I may be wrong as my flute ones are ABSRM, but dont they show riiiight at the bottom what month/year you took the exam? I've found out we log onto UCAS for the first time next Thurs. WHEN I'M NOT THERE!!

Yeah my (Guildhall and Trinity) ones show both month of exam and month the certificate was issued.

Ah, don't worry, you won't be missing an awful lot. Just get one of your classmates to tell you the "buzzword" and you can do it on your own.

No, you're right. I was just being an idiot and didn't look hard enough. And trust me, you're not exactly missing out on anything. :smile:
Original post by GeorgieBoy
No, you're right. I was just being an idiot and didn't look hard enough. And trust me, you're not exactly missing out on anything. :smile:

Yay! I'm right at something. Still dont know how to start this stupid PS/ worried about going into too much detail and boring them to death.

Yay! I'm right at something. Still dont know how to start this stupid PS/ worried about going into too much detail and boring them to death.

Detail is good! Sweeping statements aren't very useful to an admissions officer.

Of course you can't put in too much detail or it will exceed UCAS's length limit.
Detail is good! Sweeping statements aren't very useful to an admissions officer.

Of course you can't put in too much detail or it will exceed UCAS's length limit.

I know. I WANT to start it with my earliest memory of a science expt. that was a bit more interesting than putting stuff through sieves. But the expt. itself is really simple!

I keep referencing things I've read and then rambling on about them... I'm actually interested in those theories I mention, which is why I go on about them, but it poses a problem when I start analysing it like I'm writing a paper. >_>
Original post by punctuation
I keep referencing things I've read and then rambling on about them... I'm actually interested in those theories I mention, which is why I go on about them, but it poses a problem when I start analysing it like I'm writing a paper. >_>

Write all of it, then cut bits out if you've exceeded the word limit. I'm going to (probably) mention a few books I've read, Genome and Time of Death, but they're more biology related. :/

Genome is actually quite sad when you read the bit about the genetic fault which causes Huntingtons disease. It's such a simple mistake, we can even predict how old you'll be when you'll start to suffer, but we can't cure it, or prevent you from passing it on to your children because germ line therapy is currently illegal in the UK!
(edited 12 years ago)
I know. I WANT to start it with my earliest memory of a science expt. that was a bit more interesting than putting stuff through sieves. But the expt. itself is really simple!

Both of those sounds like things admissions tutors will love, I don't think it matters if the experiment is a bit simple as long (as you can make it interesting) and analysing something you're really interested in will show passion for your subject (as long as you don't spent too long on a single topic).
Write all of it, then cut bits out if you've exceeded the word limit. I'm going to (probably) mention a few books I've read, Genome and Time of Death, but they're more biology related. :/

Genome is actually quite sad when you read the bit about the genetic fault which causes Huntingtons disease. It's such a simple mistake, we can even predict how old you'll be when you'll start to suffer, but we can't cure it, or prevent you from passing it on to your children because germ line therapy is currently illegal in the UK!

Yeah I'm gonna mention at least one Computer Science book. Important not just to name drop but to talk about bits we find interesting (like you've just done about Huntingdons, that sounds sad to me who knows absolutely nothing about it)
Both of those sounds like things admissions tutors will love, I don't think it matters if the experiment is a bit simple as long (as you can make it interesting) and analysing something you're really interested in will show passion for your subject (as long as you don't spent too long on a single topic).

You know the expt you've probably done with an acid, an alkali and indicator solution? It was that. But when you're ten, the stuff done in normal sci. lessons is as boring as hell, that stuff was like MAGIC!

Have a horrible feeling I'll eventually end up launching into a rant over how ****E the english translation of Der Vorleser is.
(edited 12 years ago)
The woman who sets ucas at my school is "too busy" to set the 2012 buzzword up :redface:!

Thanks! I'm afraid I'll go into too much philosophy too... right now I'm trying to reference subjects that include both. However, since I'm applying to Oxford and probably Bristol for a dual degree, I want to include some philosophy, but not too much so that the other unis' tutors will be confused by its irrelevance. :P

Original post by saladfingers08
The woman who sets ucas at my school is "too busy" to set the 2012 buzzword up :redface:!

Ugh yeah. The (I suppose you'd call it tutor) at my school says courses aren't even set for next year... which is sooo late. Last year they had them set by the end of May, and I really want to make sure I had the right balance of courses... anyway, just ranting. *sigh*

You know the expt you've probably done with an acid, an alkali and indicator solution? It was that. But when you're ten, the stuff done in normal sci. lessons is as boring as hell, that stuff was like MAGIC!

Have a horrible feeling I'll eventually end up launching into a rant over how ****E the english translation of Der Vorleser is.

I think I read a PS where someone mentioned 'Das Vorleser'? Maybe I'm remembering wrong. Anyway, I love reading original translations... Like I really want to read Kafka/Nietzsche in German but I'm afraid those are too high level for my comprehension, haha. I can only read Harry Potter in German >_>

ETA: Found the aforementioned PS - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Personal_Statement:Psychology_16 and for Oxford, no less :redface:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 455
To people debating what date you should put down for your qualifications, it should be August in the year that you certificated.

Verification: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2smdJQtvrvI.
I have absolutely no idea what I want to do and we have to do our Personal Statement draft tomorrow :'(, I am screwed...

Yep I've done that :biggrin: aha, well I'd write about it and after seeing how it works out and showing it to people for advice then you can always cut it out.

I think I read a PS where someone mentioned 'Das Vorleser'? Maybe I'm remembering wrong. Anyway, I love reading original translations... Like I really want to read Kafka/Nietzsche in German but I'm afraid those are too high level for my comprehension, haha. I can only read Harry Potter in German >_>

ETA: Found the aforementioned PS - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Personal_Statement:Psychology_16 and for Oxford, no less :redface:

OOOOoh. Applying for Oxford and you can't be arsed to check you've got the title of the book you've started your PS with correct. Thank god she wasnt going for german! It's Der Vorleser, for the book, because the reader (Michael) is male. Das is the 'the' form for a neuter object e.g.... a rabbit. is Das Kanninchen.

Edit: Have you done the imperfect tense in German? z.B Ich sah.... usw?
(edited 12 years ago)
OOOOoh. Applying for Oxford and you can't be arsed to check you've got the title of the book you've started your PS with correct. Thank god she wasnt going for german! It's Der Vorleser, for the book, because the reader (Michael) is male. Das is the 'the' form for a neuter object e.g.... a rabbit. is Das Kanninchen.

Wouldn't it be dreadful if that person went to an interview, was asked about it, then pronounced it with a 'V'?

I don't want to harp on this mistake too much, because I'd feel bad if the person who wrote it was reading this - buuut...

Latest

Trending

Trending