The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lilGem
yay another applicant :biggrin:

It mainly depends on my results, but, I'm looking at Leicester, Bristol, Liverpool, Bath and the dream is Leeds.

I've nearly finished my first draft, we haven't even started yet at my college only planning the statement :colondollar:

yourself?

In the sig :wink:

Soo, why is the dream Leeds? Have you been there? :biggrin:
Reply 501
Original post by jackfliex8
1/4 of my whole PS is on one world challenge expedition, seems way out of proportion but i thought, seeing as im applying for geography its reasonably relevant and i want to talk about ALL the skills i developed/enhanced

Why don't you just select the most relevant skills?
Reply 502
Original post by such_a_lady
In the sig :wink:

Soo, why is the dream Leeds? Have you been there? :biggrin:

very nice choices :biggrin: best of luck

I visited one of my friends at university there and I completely fell in love with it :redface: and it has an amazing reputation for languages.

Being honest i've struggled deciding choices though especially with grades :s
ahhh, started the application today! just the personal details, and putting in some AS stuff, ahhh D:
If you had to, how would you link judo to classics? :wink:

I would talk up its similarities to Greco-Roman wrestling :colonhash:
Original post by medbh4805
I would talk up its similarities to Greco-Roman wrestling :colonhash:

There was me thinking you'd say something to do with persistence, gaining in skill and the benefits of regular practice :lol:
There was me thinking you'd say something to do with persistence, gaining in skill and the benefits of regular practice :lol:

I may not be being entirely serious :colonhash:

In reality the biggest thing judo has taught me is to man the **** up :dumbells:
Maybe I should write that in my PS :beard:
I may not be being entirely serious :colonhash:

In reality the biggest thing judo has taught me is to man the **** up :dumbells:
Maybe I should write that in my PS :beard:

Although I would find it hilarious if you did talk up its similarities to Greco-Roman wrestling. Plus the fact that judo's quite sexy.

Ohh yeah, cause you're in our cosy little Oxford thread, aren't you? I bet you'll have so much to say about why you want to do Greats that you won't even have room. I didn't have room to mention my EPQ or even my job.
Although I would find it hilarious if you did talk up its similarities to Greco-Roman wrestling. Plus the fact that judo's quite sexy.

Ohh yeah, cause you're in our cosy little Oxford thread, aren't you? I bet you'll have so much to say about why you want to do Greats that you won't even have room. I didn't have room to mention my EPQ or even my job.

my first draft was 100% about classics :ahee:

then my careers teacher forced me to include my ECs :emo:

edit: judo sexy? You wouldn't say that when you're surrounded by hairy sweaty middle aged men after a 2 hour training session :afraid:
(edited 12 years ago)
my first draft was 100% about classics :ahee:

then my careers teacher forced me to include my ECs :emo:

edit: judo sexy? You wouldn't say that when you're surrounded by hairy sweaty middle aged men after a 2 hour training session :afraid:

Ah monsieur, du verstehst mich nicht. I am a non-judo-practising female and therefore find it sexy when guys my age say they do judo (like almost every girl I know probably would).

I only included the ECs which were totally relevant to my languages. Hence foreign work experience, Comenius project, international scholarships, junior EU conference...I couldn't mention the fact I work 12 hours a week to support my family, nor the fact that I'm directing a Shakespeare play. Oxford don't care about whether you can work in a team or similar, they care about how much you love the subject and whether you've done outside stuff that is relevant.
Ah monsieur, du verstehst mich nicht. I am a non-judo-practising female and therefore find it sexy when guys my age say they do judo (like almost every girl I know probably would).

Unfortunately for us female judo players the reaction of most boys is the complete opposite. Especially when they find out you can bench more than them :lol:

I only included the ECs which were totally relevant to my languages. Hence foreign work experience, Comenius project, international scholarships, junior EU conference...I couldn't mention the fact I work 12 hours a week to support my family, nor the fact that I'm directing a Shakespeare play. Oxford don't care about whether you can work in a team or similar, they care about how much you love the subject and whether you've done outside stuff that is relevant.

My entire study of classics is extra-curricular :colondollar: So my only relevant extra-EC is tutoring a junior student who shares my interest, so I just talked a lot about my reading and my experience of learning Greek as an autodidact and studying Latin in my own time :smile: I got into the UNIQ summer school too, I'm not entirely sure whether I should include that :holmes:
Unfortunately for us female judo players the reaction of most boys is the complete opposite. Especially when they find out you can bench more than them :lol:

My entire study of classics is extra-curricular :colondollar: So my only relevant extra-EC is tutoring a junior student who shares my interest, so I just talked a lot about my reading and my experience of learning Greek as an autodidact and studying Latin in my own time :smile: I got into the UNIQ summer school too, I'm not entirely sure whether I should include that :holmes:

That's amazing, well done! You'll meet a guy called Robin with brown hair and we went to the same school for 5 years and were rivals in EVERYTHING. The competition through GCSE Latin was intense. I beat him, though. Tell him you know Chiara :biggrin: He was also the Bottom to my Titania in Year 11.

So how did you get interested in classics, then? :smile:
is anyone applying to Oxford or Cambridge?
I'm considering Oxford for Experimental Psychology but idk cause my grades are high atm but I dont really have much extra things other than bronze DofE, the EPQ and some volunter work D:
That's amazing, well done! You'll meet a guy called Robin with brown hair and we went to the same school for 5 years and were rivals in EVERYTHING. The competition through GCSE Latin was intense. I beat him, though. Tell him you know Chiara :biggrin: He was also the Bottom to my Titania in Year 11.

So how did you get interested in classics, then? :smile:

I was/am morbidly religious. When I was 14/15 I used to read a lot of books by the likes of Augustine, Jerome, Aquinas etc. I thought it would be useful to learn Latin (as they all wrote in Latin) and started learning it, the summer after year 10 (year 9 England :beard: ). Greek just seemed like a natural continuation and eventually Classics began to become my main interest :dontknow:
Original post by hassi94
Check and check! I am currentlly self studying Core 3/4 and will additionally do FP4 and M3. I do UKMT, got 2 golds and a silver (was very ill on the day) and qualified to the olympiad one year (Top 500) :smile:

What about the physics olymipad or challenge?
Reply 515
Pharmacy 2012 Applicant... hopefully :biggrin:
For some reason I thought the limit was 4000 words. I don't know why. :facepalm:
Well I started on mine too I was procrastinating and was in the mood for writing.:tongue:
Original post by Beebumble
Well I started on mine too I was procrastinating and was in the mood for writing.:tongue:

HAHA same here! I was really tired of revising for biology so I started writing. Today I seem to be in a writing mood, which is good - I wrote two fiction short stories this morning (well, wrote one, had an idea for another).

Mine's too long I think... D: I thought I had a lot more words to go but I only have 1000 characters left, and I haven't mentioned 4 of the areas/books/theories I wanted to cover! Neither did I talk about my extracurricular/relevant work experience or the conclusion...

I wish it could be 5000 words... why did they have to make it such an awkward number? :rolleyes:
Original post by punctuation
HAHA same here! I was really tired of revising for biology so I started writing. Today I seem to be in a writing mood, which is good - I wrote two fiction short stories this morning (well, wrote one, had an idea for another).

Mine's too long I think... D: I thought I had a lot more words to go but I only have 1000 characters left, and I haven't mentioned 4 of the areas/books/theories I wanted to cover! Neither did I talk about my extracurricular/relevant work experience or the conclusion...

I wish it could be 5000 words... why did they have to make it such an awkward number? :rolleyes:

I don't have much experience to talk about! I just managed to relate everything to working in nurseries which is the only thing I've done worth mentioning.:s-smilie:

Oh and I babbled on about Chaucer so I hope they like him!:biggrin:

Don't worry I thought it was 4000 words too!I suppose it's good we're getting a head start whilst everyone else is pancaking in December to get theirs done before the January deadline.:tongue:

Latest

Trending

Trending