The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
Original post by HSethi
I'm not sure where to post this - but I thought this could be an appropriate place to post it.

Basically my grades were 3A*s, 7 As and 1C at gcse - however way back in 2006 (when I was 12) I took a gcse privately in foundation GCSE Punjabi. I have the statement of results but I haven't got a certificate for it - and the unfortunate thing was I got a grade D.

Now, obviously I'm assuming that I will have to put this down on my UCAS form next year - but will universities take into consideration that I did this effectively in year 7 and therefore I wasn't anyway near the ability I showed in my GCSEs in year 10 and 11? Or will they take one look at the grade D and it will mean I'm severely disadvantaged against other candidates applying?
I doubt if they'll take any notice of it at all. You need to declare it but I really wouldn't worry about it in the slightest.
Reply 161
Thanks Minerva - I'll definitely declare it, but I just hope they do actually take notice of the year it was taken!

By the way, does it matter if I have different UCI numbers for the 'normal' GCSEs (and current A levels that I'm taking) from the GCSE I took in 2006? Because I thought everything had to be logged onto the same number, so universities could verify that applicants weren't lying/ommiting grades?
Original post by Groat
Maybe go through a few of these questions!

What subject do you want to study?
Why do you want to study it?
What have you learnt if you have studied it at A-Level?
Why would you be good at studying your subject?
What relevant extra-curricular activities do you have?
What extra-curricular activities do you have that show you are a well-rounded person?

Original post by punctuation
Agreed with everything except that last point. If you have space left over in your PS, a few sentences on why you're a good leader, motivated, etc. would be fine, but if you can't think of much, just leave it.

I started by explaining why I chose the subject and why I like it... then went on to explain why I would be a good candidate for the course. Those are the core things one needs in a PS, so it's a good place to start. ^^ If you find you're not too sure why you're a good candidate, try reading some books relevant to your course.

Thanks both of you, I'll make a start on that now :smile:

Also, if I'm doing an Extended Project do I just put what my title is and hope it comes up at interview or do I explain what it is/why Im doing it?
Reply 163
Original post by MissLightyear
Thanks both of you, I'll make a start on that now :smile:

Also, if I'm doing an Extended Project do I just put what my title is and hope it comes up at interview or do I explain what it is/why Im doing it?

What are you hoping to study? (In regards to the interview).

If it is relevant to the subject you are applying for, I would definitely mention it (more than a sentence) as it shows outside reading and further interest.
Original post by chr1stopher11
Hi, I have to say that whenever I see your username I always chuckle XD I really like it. :biggrin:

Oh and good luck with everyone's application! :smile:

haha thanks! good luck to you as well! :biggrin:
Original post by Groat
What are you hoping to study? (In regards to the interview).

If it is relevant to the subject you are applying for, I would definitely mention it (more than a sentence) as it shows outside reading and further interest.

Physiotherapy, and I'm doing 'The role of Physiotherapy in Strokes'.
Reply 166
You are all so lucky in that you are applying through a school and getting help with all this! I'm an EU student and my school has no experience with students applying to UK universities. Alas I am on my own, with no one to help me with personal statements and everything! I'm really scared haha :smile:
Original post by CorinnaH
You are all so lucky in that you are applying through a school and getting help with all this! I'm an EU student and my school has no experience with students applying to UK universities. Alas I am on my own, with no one to help me with personal statements and everything! I'm really scared haha :smile:

Well, most international students are in the same boat... My school isn't registered with UCAS nor can any of the staff aid me in my application process. All you have to do is read up on your own. Initiative is a redeeming quality for most universities. :wink:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by CorinnaH

Get this book : http://www.amazon.co.uk/UCAS-Guide-Getting-University-College/dp/1843611368/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1308421224&sr=8-1

It is literally a god-send. Covers everything and includes extra information for International Students with regards to what you need.
i want to but dont want to be in class with a bunch of 18 year olds :frown: no offence guys. should i still apply?? x
Original post by S119234
Get this book : http://www.amazon.co.uk/UCAS-Guide-Getting-University-College/dp/1843611368/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1308421224&sr=8-1

It is literally a god-send. Covers everything and includes extra information for International Students with regards to what you need.

Is there an excerpt anywhere online? I felt like buying the UCAS book on Psychology (which I'm going into), except I pretty much have my choices set already... The UCAS books look helpful, but I don't want to buy it if it's of no extra use to me.
Original post by Groat
How are the personal statement drafts going?

hahaha. We've done this sheet in our Gen. studies lesson where we fill in the AS's we've done, the extra curricular stuff, work experience etc. I've no idea how to start it :frown: - I know starting it with 'If you've ever met my chemistry teacher, you'd understand EXACTLY why I want to do chemistry', isnt going to work. Concerned all my clubs etc are all music based, but that is different to what I want to do at uni,(so it makes me look like a rounded person??) I'll have two trips to germany to mention...
Original post by punctuation
Is there an excerpt anywhere online? I felt like buying the UCAS book on Psychology (which I'm going into), except I pretty much have my choices set already... The UCAS books look helpful, but I don't want to buy it if it's of no extra use to me.

Here : http://www.ucas.com/students/wheretostart/ucasguide

Click on "See Extracts from the book"

It doesn't focus particularly on course choices. More on how to work UCAS, write personal statement, how the whole system works and a bit on life in university. It is honestly a brilliant book :smile:
Count me in. The last two years I have watched results day come and go, and read TSR. I have talked to people about their experiences and have seen it go well and not so well. I'm looking forward to doing it myself. I suppose que sera sera.
Original post by S119234
Here : http://www.ucas.com/students/wheretostart/ucasguide

Click on "See Extracts from the book"

It doesn't focus particularly on course choices. More on how to work UCAS, write personal statement, how the whole system works and a bit on life in university. It is honestly a brilliant book :smile:

Thanks! It seems helpful, but it doesn't look like it will have any important information I don't already know.

There's also "Progression to Psychology 2011 Entry" in the UCAS bookstore, which was what I was referencing. It's only a pound because it's going to be replaced with a 2012 version soon.

Anyway, do you think those books on personal statements are worth anything? That section, if nothing else, I'm worried about.
Original post by shy-girl666
i want to but dont want to be in class with a bunch of 18 year olds :frown: no offence guys. should i still apply?? x

How old will you be when you start university?
well if i get in... im applying this year for next and i'll be nearly 21 when i start in september :frown: i know it's not old or anything but still.... prob me being silly x

I'm going to be about 6 weeks away from my 19th Birthday when I start!
Reply 178
Original post by .snowflake.
hahaha. We've done this sheet in our Gen. studies lesson where we fill in the AS's we've done, the extra curricular stuff, work experience etc. I've no idea how to start it :frown: - I know starting it with 'If you've ever met my chemistry teacher, you'd understand EXACTLY why I want to do chemistry', isnt going to work. Concerned all my clubs etc are all music based, but that is different to what I want to do at uni,(so it makes me look like a rounded person??) I'll have two trips to germany to mention...

Maybe try making a mind-map of all the reasons why you've enjoyed Chemistry A-Level and why you feel the university courses (do some research) excite you?
well if i get in... im applying this year for next and i'll be nearly 21 when i start in september :frown: i know it's not old or anything but still.... prob me being silly x

Dude, that's not old! You'll be the nice lady who lives at the end of the corridor who can solve everything and is gifted with a recipe book!

Latest

Trending

Trending