The Student Room Group

Sleep, what the hell!!!

Scroll to see replies

I read an interesting article in New Scientist the other day about blue light switching off the production of melatonin; which is the hormone that makes us sleepy at night. Full article here:
http://www.international-light-association.org/pdf/NewScientist001.pdf

In short, get lots of bright light during the day, especially during the morning. It will make you more alert and happier, and will help you sleep at night.Dim the lights well before you go to bed. That means no bright screens either - including TV, computers, smartphones or anything like that. At least an hour before, if not more. Time spent in the dark makes your body clock more sensitive to light. If you have to get up in the night, use a dim red light to minimise disruption.
If, despite all the above, you still struggle to sleep, try wearing amber-coloured goggles in the hours before bed. They are commercially available and designed to filter out blue wavelengths.
Original post by Theconomist
I need help sleeping. I just can't do this anymore seriously. I have tried 5 drugs this past month and NOTHING gets me to sleep. I just stay awake for 20+ hours and literally collapse.

>Melantonin
>Ambien
>Valium
>Citalopram
>Sonata

Can any of you please give me some tips?
I really need help sleeping.

things i've heard are helpful are:
-not using the computer before bed
-reading rather than watching tv before bed
-exercise but more than two hours before you are going to sleep
-sex
-a bath rather than a shower
-cut out the caffeine at all times i.e. always drink decaff
-lavender
-hot milk
-candles
-massage

Obviously a pill sounds more like it would be effective but seeing as you have tried 5 already holistic methods might be more up your street.
You can get natural remedies for sleep that are supposed to be quiet good such as Kalms and Nitol.

Lastly, i've read that worrying about not sleeping can make you less likely to sleep, so try to just generally relax, take each night as an individual occasion and try not to think about how tired you are or how much you didn't sleep before.
Reply 42
Original post by Alison1992
things i've heard are helpful are:
-not using the computer before bed
-reading rather than watching tv before bed
-exercise but more than two hours before you are going to sleep
-sex
-a bath rather than a shower
-cut out the caffeine at all times i.e. always drink decaff
-lavender
-hot milk
-candles
-massage

Obviously a pill sounds more like it would be effective but seeing as you have tried 5 already holistic methods might be more up your street.
You can get natural remedies for sleep that are supposed to be quiet good such as Kalms and Nitol.

Lastly, i've read that worrying about not sleeping can make you less likely to sleep, so try to just generally relax, take each night as an individual occasion and try not to think about how tired you are or how much you didn't sleep before.

I'm willing to try sex before bed mind helping? :wink:
Just kidding. Thanks for some of the suggestions I can't stand candles but I'll try hot milk and bath.
Reply 43
Original post by Theconomist
I need help sleeping. I just can't do this anymore seriously. I have tried 5 drugs this past month and NOTHING gets me to sleep. I just stay awake for 20+ hours and literally collapse.

>Melantonin
>Ambien
>Valium
>Citalopram
>Sonata

Can any of you please give me some tips?
I really need help sleeping.

Valium is not generally used for sleep, but to get rid of anxiety symptoms, if they are going to prescribe you anything from the benzodiazepine class, it should of been temazapam. The best drug IMO is Seroquel (quetiapine)at 50mg to 100mg (anything over is used to treat psychotic symptoms and weirdly the sedative side effect wears off at higher doses and you get side effects). It is registered for treating sleep problems, it is not addictive and you don't build up a tolerance.
For a natural alternative 'sleep dreams' from healthspan.co.uk.
Reply 44
Citalopram caused me to sleeping an hour a day -.- talk to your doctor about it though
Hot milk with some form of alcohol in it - generally whisky or rum or brandy (literally about a thimble-full and no more).
A hot bath with lavender...
Kalms or Rescue Remedy..
Make sure your bed, pillows and matress are comfy and clean.
Have the room as you need it to be - have it silent and pitch black if need be, or with a light and the radio if that helps..
Don't have the laptop, TV etc in your room if you can help it.
Wind down from about 3 hours before going to sleep, go for a bath, read, listen to music, go for a brisk walk, have a hot drink.
Big one - don't think too much about sleeping, don't worry about it, as it makes it worse!

Oh and don't take Citalopram unless you were prescribed. I'm on ecitalopram and that makes me drowsy as hell but they might have the opposite effect entirely on you.
Reply 46
Try herbal sleeping remedies instead of tablets. I was an insomniac for about three or four months last year, and had tried sleeping pills to no avail but herbal remedies are so great and got me back into a regular sleeping pattern.

Quick Reply

Latest