The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

which newspaper is most respected?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jelly1000
The Telegraph is certainly the most politically neutral, but any of The Guardian, Times or Telegraph are seen as decent newspapers

Really? I've heard it being commonly referred to as The Daily Mailograph because of it's recent slide into Mail-quality journalism, which would lead me to believe that by implication it has a right-wing bias.
Reply 21
The Telegraph \ The Guardian

I find that small minded people are not able to respect papers that do not reflect their personal views, so I have provided two...one for each end of the political spectrum.

The Times is trash (cannot take a newspaper with a paywall and under murdoch inc control seriously.....print means nothing compared to online), so is the economist (extremely idealogical).
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Steevee
The Guardian? :lolwut:

It's just the Daily Mail on the other side of the coin.

Personally, I think the Telegraph and Times are the most respectable papers.

A slightly more respectable version of the Daily Mail

Part of the Murdochracy

Come on
Reply 23
Original post by Bobo1234
Based on readership: The Sun (Most read in Britain), The Daily Mail (Largest female readership).

Regrettably true.
Reply 24
'The Sunday Certain', without a doubt.
Nuts.

Yes i consider it a newspaper.
Reply 26
The Guardian > The Times
Original post by Bobo1234
Really? I've heard it being commonly referred to as The Daily Mailograph because of it's recent slide into Mail-quality journalism, which would lead me to believe that by implication it has a right-wing bias.

The Telegraph - also known as the Torygraph - is to the conservative middle classes what The Guardian is to the lefty middle classes. They both provide a fairly similar standard of journalism but appeal to different groups of people. There aren't really any neutral papers in the UK; even The Independent is not actually independent (leans to the left).
Reply 28
Nobody can argue with 'Take A Break' being the most respected newspaper.
With articles such as 'I found a willy in my sweets', it is unbeatable.
Reply 29
Anything not right-wing is respected.
Reply 30
Probably the Guardian or FT.
The Economist. They are independent to the point of not publishing the names of authors or staff under any circumstances, even their columnists write under pseudonyms, yet they are still entirely prepared to take strong stances on issues that they feel important. The reason I think that this is acceptable in a respected/independent newspaper is that they always carefully reason any stances they take - e.g. who to vote for in an election - so that even if you entirely disagree with them, you can respect their logic. Also, when articles are written criticising individuals/organisations, they always have a right of reply, and up to a half of their letters section is taken up with people strongly disagreeing with their viewpoints - which I feel adds to their respectability and shows their confidence in their opinions.
Reply 32
Independent and Guardian on the left side of the sale, FT and Telegraph the right.

I personally read The Guardian.
Reply 33
Wall street Journal
The Times is the only newspaper I can stomach. The other broadsheets (either the lefty ones like the Grauniad or the authoritarian Torygraph) make me facepalm until I reach through to my skull.

AFAIC, the Times' editorials and journalistic quality is far better than any other. But then, like everyone else here, I'm biased due to my political views.
The Financial Times and The Economist.
Original post by sollythewise

not which one do you read. which british newspaper is the most widely respected?

EDIT: a bit surprised that the times has only had one mention so far.

The Sun is quite respected.............among the peasant and working class.
Reply 37
the daily mail because i read it sometimes and then i hear the charges against it and they do not stack up.

the left wing hysteria regarding the daily mail is classical juvenile lenninist mantra of destroy by 'smears and slogans' it is so transparent the marx left go after anything with these juvenile tactics and so it is vital the targets are supported.
Reply 38
The Economist, undoubtedly.
Reply 39
not which one do you read. which british newspaper is the most widely respected?

EDIT: a bit surprised that the times has only had one mention so far.

1) Times
2) Independent
3) Telegraph
4) Guardian
-
-
-
99999999) Daily Mail
100000000) The Sun

:smile:

Latest

Trending