The Student Room Group

How to start an essay.

I've just been thinking/worrying about the exam and was wondering how to best open an exam, say the first paragraph?

Please give any tips including how you do so etc. would be greatly appreciated
Reply 1
Original post by Foreveramouse
I've just been thinking/worrying about the exam and was wondering how to best open an exam, say the first paragraph?

Please give any tips including how you do so etc. would be greatly appreciated

You always want to be arguing a POINT... a side or a view in your essay... even if you are going to counter argue that in your conclusion...

SO start strongly and be decisive... maybe even state the different ideas people have about a topic...for instance

'Althought (this event or whatever) is considered to have had great significance in the world of history the events BUILDING UP to this event... WERE OF THE SAME IMPORTANCE'. This kind of statement clearly shows whoever is reading your essay exactly what you are going to be arguing and doesn't waste any time saying really lose things...

Your intro shouldn't say EVERYTHING you are ever going to cover, just maybe a main point or two and then you can start into them in more depth in your first paragraph...

If you'd like to take a stab at making some sentences that make sense etc and PMing them to me that would be totally fine, i'd be happy to have a look over them!
Matt
Reply 2
As above.

Also you can introduce a few of your points, but don't explain them. Eg/ ....was important, but it can be argued that ... and ... were of equal importance. In this essay I will compare the consequences of ... and see which had the most profound effect on ... in terms of social, ecnomic and political importance.

Obviously change for the subject you are doing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending