Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Doing a PGCE in the West Midlands

Announcements Posted on
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Hi, wondered if you guys could help I want to apply for a PGCE place for September 2012 entry, somewhere in the West Midlands, and wondered if anyone could give their thoughts and experiences if they are doing a PGCE at a uni here. At the moment thinking about Newman, Wolverhampton, Worcester etc but am a little lost and don't know how to decide which uni!

Thanks
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Anybody?
    • 31 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clairemellisa)
    Anybody?
    There will be no real difference - a PGCE is a PGCE, schools don't care where its from, it isn't like at undergraduate level.

I'd just opt for the one closest to where you'll be living and/or the one that has a catchment area of schools they use for training in an area you can get to easily. For example, my PGCE uni is in 1 town but most people are placed in 2 towns nearby - one is 20 miles to the east and one is 20 miles to the north. Very few people are actually in the town where the uni is located. The PGCE is a tough year meaning anything you can do to reduce the commute to your potential school is worth it, meaning just opt for the place closest to you or alternatively, the place where you think you will want to do your NQT year as then you're in a better position for jobs.

I guess you could look at things whether there are 2 placements or 3 shorter ones and how the year is structured in that respect, but again, I don't think it makes an overly huge difference to jobs as schools just accept that each training provider does things differently.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Thanks oxymoronic

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 14, 2011
New on TSR

The future of apprenticeships

Join the discussion in the apprenticeships hub!

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.